Archinect
anchor

AutoCad on Intel-based Macs

everyonelikeslegos

Does anyone use AutoCad on their Intel-based Mac on a regualar basis? We are looking to switch to Macs from PCs at work and I want to make sure everything is going to go smoothly.

I have searched the web for feedback, but havent found a solid answer. Please let me know which version of AutoCad you are using and any problems that have occured. Thanks for the input.

Nov 30, 06 9:46 am
not_here

works very well.

Nov 30, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I hope you're planning on doing more with those macs than just running ACAD, otherwise what's the point?

Nov 30, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I'm using Acad 2007 on my Mac Pro and it works beautifully.

Nov 30, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

are you guys using boot-camp or parallels?

i run autocad LT (2004 i think?)on an iMac 2Ghz desktop using parallels...it works fine, though like most other PC apps running on parallel i find that the interface tends to be a little jumpy.

i use it primarily for importting foodservice symbols from an industry-specific program that's tailored to work with acad, and then i import those .dwg's into vectorworks for all of our productiong drawing. i don't use acad for any heavy lifting.

though i can tell you that all of my other pc apps run beautifully on the iMac, including microsoft office, adobe ill/ind/photo/etc...

though i second the notion mentioned above that i hope you're not buying macs just to run acad on them?

Nov 30, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

What about Rhino on Parallels?

Nov 30, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
ArT.

I'm also wondering about rhino on parallels. Catia as well. I just got a Mac Pro a couple of days ago (quad core 64 bit = super excited), and I should be getting parallels next week. Does anyone use rhino and/or CATIA? Also, how does rendering work? Can I render in OS X, while working in Windows, or vice versa?

Nov 30, 06 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

I've been using boot camp on a macbook pro to run rhino and autocad. also cs2. In fact, I now spend more time in windows than i do on the mac side. the mac side kind of signals "not working time". I'd say about a third of my class at ucla have macbook pros and macbooks. Well, at least a quarter. most are running boot camp. I'm not sure how many are running parallels. of those using boot camp, some run photoshop, et al on the mac side. But I like it on the windows side so i can cut and paste between programs and still have them all running natively.
the virtual machine created by parallels is a slower one than the host os inhabits; one that doesn't support directX graphics, and that would probably take a long time to render stuff as well as be jumpy when panning around a bunch of complex objects in rhino. so if you're working in 3d much, boot camp would probably be better.
It seems like drafting in autocad would probably be fine with parallels.

Dec 1, 06 5:22 am  · 
 · 
ArT.

Yeah, that's kind of what i was worried about assback. How much use does directX get in rhino or maya? I was hoping that multicore processing and a bunch of ram would help with the jumpy/slow virtual machine. I have heard that in most cases, it is not noticeably slower. I'd much rather work with parallels as I am much more comfortable with the OSX interface and its stability, but I can't stand a jumpy rhino model. Maybe an obscenely large video card? Maybe both Bootcamp and Parallels?

Dec 1, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

no problems, works very well with rhino, maya, cad, adobe etc.

Dec 1, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Reemy

works very well ..I use rhino, autocad 2007, 3Ds Max, CS2 Adobe on my macbook pro..regularly!

Dec 2, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: