Archinect
anchor

quick indesign question

robust84

i have a document with a lot of linked images. is there an easy way to get it so that every image is contained within the single indesign file rather than linked?

thanks!
-r

Nov 29, 06 5:49 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

look at the links palette. select the picture you want to embed, and go to 'embed' from the palette menu.

Nov 29, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

beware of dangerous file sizes

Nov 29, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
e

can i ask why you want to do that? it will just bloat the file size.

Nov 29, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

for some reason the print shop i'm using to print this wants it as an indesign file rather than a pdf... maybe to avoid the colorspace issues that one encounters when pdf'ing something?

Nov 29, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
e

you can always package the indesign file up. this will gather the indesign file, the linked files, and the fonts that you've used. this is the standard way to this when preparing a file for a printer. if it is a professional printer, they will usually prefer the indesign file over the pdf. i have never passed along a pdf to a job i am having professionally printed

goto file/preflight. the preflight will tell you if you have any problem with your file or links like a file maybe being in the wrong color space. once everything is good, hit package, and it will grab everything you ask it to grab.

Nov 29, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

sweet guys, thanks for the help

Nov 29, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
e

of course. anytime.

Nov 29, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

will it matter if most of my images are in RGB colorspace? they're jpegs... can i turn those to CMYK myself?

Nov 30, 06 1:30 am  · 
 · 
myriam

just to warn you, you still get colorspace issues when printing from an indesign file. or at least, i did. yay.

Nov 30, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
e

sure you can print your rgb colors, but printing is either process based [cmyk] or spot based [pantone, toyo, or a custom color]. if you are professionally printing the job, you will get better control of the color if it is converted to cmyk. note that the color of an image will shift when you move from rgb to cmyk though.

myriam, not sure what you mean by color space issues with indesign.

Nov 30, 06 1:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: