Archinect
anchor

Carbon Emissions Talks Fail in Kenya – Does anyone care?

Katze

The carbon footprint of one home and two cars pumps out more than 40,000 pounds of CO2 a year.

The United Nations talks in Kenya failed to develop an international framework for combating carbon emissions – what now? Does anyone care?

News Report

.pdf version of the carbon "footprint" stats

Nov 28, 06 12:08 am
Apurimac

no, the only time anyone will care is when they're wading through their living room

Nov 28, 06 1:35 am  · 
 · 
dia

Don't care. See here and here and here for some alternative views on the so-called global warming crisis.

Nov 28, 06 4:35 am  · 
 · 
a-f

And for some alternative to British neo-connerie:

"This is a dazzling debunking of climate change science. It is also wildly wrong"

Nov 28, 06 7:52 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

The Supreme Court takes on the issue today in what is being called a "landmark case". It's actually putting energy companies on the same side as the Sierra Club and other environmental groups, very interesting.

read here

Nov 28, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I care. will chop down some trees so there is room for even more to grow.

Nov 28, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Gore Gored
Nov 28, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
Diabase

– I read some of the alternative views; interesting debates. Gore Gored – I found the concluding findings of extreme interest. I found it odd that scientists agreed to the following:

6. That temperature will rise far enough to do more harm than good. Very unlikely
7. That continuing greenhouse-gas emissions will be very harmful to life. Unlikely
8. That proposed carbon-emission limits would make a definite difference.
Very unlikely
10. That taking precautions, just in case, would be the responsible course. Demonstrably false

a-f – I couldn't agree more with the comment made by Schmidt, "…climate sensitivity is an equilibrium concept: in other words that there is a time-lag of several decades between the release of carbon dioxide and the eventual temperature rise it causes". I couldn't agree more – anyone that understands equilibrium would understand this concept.

WonderK – it blew me away for the president to comment, "…[Bush] has rejected calls to regulate carbon dioxide, [but] …he favors voluntary steps by industry and development of new technologies to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere" Heck, what am I thinking; this doesn't blow me away – it’s sounds like a typical response from him :) Yeah, like companies are going to voluntarily develop new technologies to reduce greenhouse gases – ha ha. Yes, there are some responsible companies out their – but it’s the irresponsible companies that I am worried about.

The bottom line is that I don't understand why we have to wait for scientists to prove a theory before we do something. Ok, some of us may not believe that we even have a problem – but do you really think that all of the emissions we create are good for environment? I feel like I am debating whether or not cigarette smoking is addictive and dangerous for your health. How long did that debate take before it was finally proven?

I'm going to build a time machine and beam myself into some other universe:)

Nov 28, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

global warming gave me 60" of powder this past weekend outside of Seattle...made for some good boarding

Nov 28, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
dia

The debate is not whether there is global warming - there are signs of warming - but what is causing it and to what extent. The problem with the debate is, like cigarettes, there are vested interests keenly involved to promote one side or the other. I am a natural skeptic, and keen on seeing both sides. The other problem I have is the almost religious fervour that some global warming alarmists have for their cause. This should be a scientific debate, not an moral debate.

Nov 29, 06 3:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: