Archinect
anchor

istanbul questions???

history

there is a possbility that i might have to move to istanbul.
i have been there before and i loved the city but living there would be very different.
is anyone from there?
any tips on the design culture there?
places and sites to research more on what is going on in the city's art and design scene?
what are the architecture/design schools?

thanks for any information and contacts!!!!
H

Nov 26, 06 7:30 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

have you checked with Orhan on Thread Central yet? i do believe he's in Turkey right now.

Nov 26, 06 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

frank gehry is building a headquarters there for turkish television. not that it would affect your life there or anything.

Nov 26, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
history

no.....
i dont know orhan ??? thread central?? out of the loop,,,more info??
thanks

Nov 27, 06 2:58 am  · 
 · 
Asli

Hey..

I recently relocated back to istanbul myself. I am actually from there, but had been living in LA for the last 10 years.

Istanbul is an amazing city; crowded, intense and 24hour live. Kind of like NY that way. Art and design scene is in the progress. Interesting things are happening definetly more often now than 10 years ago when I left it. Check out http://www.arkitera.net/index.php?action=engine&ID=40 as a starter on architectural stuff - I am not sure how much of it comes in english though. Then for modern art you can have a look at http://www.istanbulmodern.org/ to have an idea . I can tell you more, if you are interested . You can directly contact me at [email protected]

Nov 27, 06 3:27 am  · 
 · 
history

i live in LA Asli, i will send you an email.
thanks for responding and for the links.

Nov 27, 06 3:48 am  · 
 · 
D7mY

i was there for the UIA congress for architecture summer 2005...the city is nice just like Asli mentioned the place is 24 hours crowded pups and bars are almost every where around the heart of the city....you will find a really hard time communicating with people....few speaks english...
i know that the schools are very much into interior and product design.

Nov 27, 06 4:39 am  · 
 · 
4arch

it was once constantinople. why they changed it i can't say, people just liked it better that way.

Nov 27, 06 9:30 am  · 
 · 
walldrug

there are three architecture schools in Istanbul that i am aware of:

Bilgi University (along the golden horn)
Istanbul Technical University (near Taksim) and
Mimar Sinan University (along the Bosphorus near Besiktas)

Along Istiklal Cad. there are many bookstores and a number of them have architecture/design publications in english. Also there is a great architecture/design bookstore on a major street off of Taksim Square heading towards Sisli.

Out of curiosity, why will you be moving to Istanbul? and where will you work? study?

...i worked there previously, and will try to go back soon...though i have to figure out where i will work, which is all the more difficult to determine, as i need to make sure that job pays enough so that i can start repaying my student loans.

Nov 27, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Asli

It's not that bad with the lnaguage. A lot of my friends do speak english. Look me up, when you arrive, I can intrduce you to some. Just bring me some LA Weeklys in return!
The building industry is doing pretty good right now. There is a lot of new work in and around Turkey. There seems to be also an interest by foreign architects to design/build in Turkey, so there is definetly a potential. (That's why I am here)

Nov 27, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
history

LA weeklys...thats easy!!
thanks again i will be in touch soon.

Nov 27, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
history

thanks Serkan

Nov 29, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
ooid

hi,
im originally from istanbul too but living in london right now..

great and amazing city but i can not say the same thing about todays architects there..they are too critical and having not enough knowledge about contemporary architecture..Guys, no offense but I heard really embrassing and stupid questions to some foreign architects during the lectures.

Nov 29, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: