Archinect
anchor

dreamweaver/website help

alliecat

so i am trying to learn how to make and publish websites. i downloaded a dreamweaver 8 trial yesterday and purchased a domain and got an index page up, but i can't get the website to fill the screen vertically. i set the table width and height to 100%, which allows various screen sizes to view the page without scrolling horizontally, but the height variable doesn't seem to matter. regardless of what i set it to, it turns out like this:

www.alissawilson.com

could someone please offer some advice?

also, in the tutorials it tells you to specify a remote file in my public_html folder on my server, which i did, but when i upload my webpage to this folder and then type in my domain (www.alissawilson.com) into my browser it takes me to an index page. from there i can choose the folder holding my website, but then my homepage is www.alissawilson.com/alissawilson.html i uploaded my files directly to the public_html directory and fixed that problem, but i feel there should be someway to select my remote folder as the default. i hope that made sense to someone. i do not know any computer code, do i am working in the design view, but i am willing and wanting to learn.

also, i am using bluehost.com as my server... i think that is what you would call them, or my domain host maybe?

thank you for your help!

Nov 25, 06 6:08 pm
alliecat

also, i would like everything centered in the middle of the screen, not all crammed up at the top.

thanks again!

Nov 25, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Bluehost hosts your site and all your pages sit on their servers. The first thing you should do is to name the first page (the page you want users to enter into your site) as "index". Have you done that yet? Then when you type in alissawilson.com, it will take you to the index page. I'm not sure what you mean by " there should be someway to select my remote folder as the default". Give me a little more info and I can help. I do a lot of websites and coding (if you need help with dynamic pages).

Also " also, i would like everything centered in the middle of the screen, not all crammed up at the top." Have you tried selecting the content you want to center, and then select Align "center" from the properties box near the bottom of the page while in design view?

Nov 25, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

I think you can do it with tables, but have you tried centering your window with putting the contents in a layer? Then use the "quick-tag editor" of the layer and enter:

<div id="NAME" style="position:absolute; left:50%; top:50%; width:Wpx; height:Hpx; overflow: hidden; margin-left: -W/2px;margin-top: -H/2px;">

where you replace NAME with the name of your layer, W with the total width of your window, and H with the total height. For a layer "top" with dimension 700x700 the code would be

<div id="top" style="position:absolute; left:50%; top:50%; width:700px; height:700px; overflow: hidden; margin-left: -350px;margin-top: -350px;">

A bit complicated, but layers is a good thing to learn. Good luck!

Nov 26, 06 5:12 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Center - quick and dirty way:

1. Make a table, set it to 100% x 100%
Put another table inside of that one

2. Put website inside table #2

3. Align middle, center, etc., in both tables

Viola, now your website will be centered, regardless of the size of the browser. I've used this countless times and it never fails.

For the background color, and I assume that's what you are referring to as it doesn't fille the page. Make sure it's the page backgrond, NOT the table background color.

Modify > Page Properties > Change background color or

Properties tab thing on the bottom > Page Properties

It's a lot better to do it all in CSS and not much harder (you can easily reference an external file, so every page looks identical with no work, make one change and everything changes - quite handy and essential for html sites).

Good luck. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Nov 26, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 

I dunno must just be me - but damn that first page took forever to load

Dec 4, 06 1:22 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I noticed that too - reducing the graphic size should help.

Dec 4, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

Yeah, lower the jpeg quality setting of the home image, and it should load a little faster. It looks as though it's a baseline jpeg as well- set it to progressive, and it will load in a more fluid fashion

Dec 4, 06 2:55 am  · 
 · 

'stay A WHILE'. two words.

cool picture.

Dec 4, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd skip the progressive scan - it looks very odd with today's computers (internet is no longer extremely slow, so there is no need for progressive).

This image on your home page should not be larger than 50-75 kb, maybe less being black and white. Your image is 1,246 kb!! That's almost a mb more than it should be!

Make sure it's 72 dpi and, just a guess, but a quality setting of 5 would probably be fine.

Dec 4, 06 7:51 am  · 
 · 
alliecat

thank you all for your help and comments, ii've only had a litttle time to work on the site since i first post this, but i'll have some time in a couple of weeks to try to get it all together. i do finde the tables confusing at this point, but i guess it will all com with practice.

oh and steven, i looked up awhile in the dictionary, and its proper, thanks though

Dec 4, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
"Usage Note: Awhile, an adverb, is never preceded by a preposition such as for, but the two-word form a while may be preceded by a preposition. In writing, each of the following is acceptable: stay awhile; stay for a while; stay a while (but not stay for awhile)."

sure enough, alliecat. sorry. (i do think this is a recent development, however. hasn't always been standard.)

Dec 4, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: