Archinect
anchor

Fabricate Models from 3d drawings

Lud

Guys, I have this "minor" problem. I need somekind of Pepakura software, like Lamina, but the more i search (even e-mule) the more i get...nothing. Can you tell me some sort of software that could do just it? Thx

Nov 21, 06 7:01 am
rehiggins

why not use Pepakura?? The last I checked the demo works fine…

pepakura designer

Nov 21, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

plus it's shareware, so it's only $38

Nov 21, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

It's quite funny how much this look like a limited version of the unfolding software I had to write myself back in the 80' when it also was impossible to find software to unfold mesh entities ; I had to do these applications myself and test it doing small-boat designs where the panels was unfolded likevise from a 3D model. Still this is a long story and what I found was that it was not enough with just unfolding, various core edditing applications was a must to do it smooth enough where these models seem to be quite rough ------- anyway.
Rhino offer unfolding if the mesh entities are drawn with Rhino.

Nov 21, 06 9:30 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

-------- But please allow me ; these examples prove just why and for what 3D-H was develobed ; when you fight with the fragile surfces you will know that an underlying exact structure come in quite handy , just like a house are not just outher walls and roof is not just a thin shell , then assembling unfolded surfaces prove , why 3D-H.

You see, you can generate an inner 3D-H structure from the 3D model aswell as develobing the surfaces. And the two together will produce a much stronger item.

Nov 21, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Lud

Vindpust, sorry 'bout the ignorance, but what is actually 3D-H!?

Nov 22, 06 4:27 am  · 
 · 
all the other screen names were taken

I use the pepakura trial and print to the Adobe PDF printer, which can then be read and converted to whatever by rhino or illustrator. may require full version of acrobat, not sure. for Lamina, you can do a large screen capture (preferrably with a CRT for max res.) and convert to vector using illustrator or some other vector -> raster conversion.

Nov 28, 06 2:21 am  · 
 · 
nscheiter

Actually, Lamina is not bad price-wise. If your a student.

Nov 28, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Lud

nscheiter, that's true, but...I'm not a student anymore! I tried to find lamina at e-mule, but...no luck at all.

Nov 28, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
chad_c

I've played with Pepakura, Rhino, FormZ, and Lamina for unfolding/unrolling skins (as nurbs and/or mesh) and had the best success with Rhino and Lamina. Lamina seems to be more accurate and can theoretically handle non-developable surfaces, but I often have trouble with getting it to deal with all of the parts I want to stitch together.

Has anyone worked with ShipContructor's Expander?

It seems pretty impressive.

Also, this is all assuming that the primary method of construction is driven by the skin. Using a 3d model to make frames, jigs, forms, or contours are also good alternatives imo.

Nov 29, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just build it already...wtf

Nov 29, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
238amdotcom.

WTF indeed!

2:38am

Dec 3, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: