Archinect
anchor

Autocad LT: good value or total garbage?

h1

Is anyone out there using Autocad LT (and willing to talk about it). As an alternative to the $4k price tag on the professional version of AutoCad (and a legal alternative to dropping the patch), how does it stack up?

Nov 19, 06 9:40 pm
matteo

I have used AUTOCAD 2000 LT and then I've upgraded to 2002 LT and still using it.
I've never had any problems.

Nov 20, 06 4:30 am  · 
 · 
luco

no 3D & no express tools i guess

Nov 20, 06 7:54 am  · 
 · 
modularnyc

I used it in the past, I couldnt deal with the no 3D or express, but if you are only doing stritcly 2D CD drawings, then it should be fine.

Nov 20, 06 8:41 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Some offices use LT at all workstations, and have one or two full licences for occaisonal use of the 3d stuff. I like that approach.
As for a one-workstation solution - it comes down to which is of more value to you - the $3.5k difference or the 3d tools.

Nov 20, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

actually LT 2007 is almost completely identical to the normal version, sans 3d (it can still view acad 3d however if you are so inclined - if you're serious about 3d you shouldn't be using it anyway). it is an excellent value in my humble opinion. the only glitch is that i've noticed i have to purge often because it siezes up once and a while, especially when hatching.

Nov 20, 06 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

le bossman, you running any other overlays with it?

Nov 20, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
h1

Wow! Thanks for the great responses. Am contemplating pairing it with Rhino for 3d.

Nov 20, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

bossman, i thought you can't run lisp routines?

Nov 20, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

There are some key things missing in Autocad LT-the ability to clip or rotate references in model space, the ability to rotate viewports in paper space, certain layer manager tools, the ability to rotate the drawing in model space. There have been more than a few times when I had to save a drawing down to an earlier version just to get the functionality that I wanted. Hatching seems to be more of a problem than usual.

I guess if you are saving trying to save money and you don't need these commands it is fine, but if you are working on large or complicated projects that require you to do a bit of clip or manuevering between many files you might find that autocad LT doesn't quite cut it.

Nov 20, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

I had the amazing experience of working in an office where they had AutoCAD LT...it was like trying to use a hammer with no handle. LT is fine for lay people who want to draw up a weekend project with accuracy...but LT is absolutely hideous for any serious production value in a professional office.

Nov 20, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

kissy_face, have you looked at Sling Shot Max to upgrade your LT to include xclipping etc? I use it and it works great.

Nov 21, 06 1:47 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah, xclip is the one thing it doesn't have that is bothersome. we had an LT add on with the last version which enabled us to do this. what the heck is a lisp routine?

Nov 21, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 

in our office of roughly 40 ppl, we all have LT and there are about 10 floating licenses of the full version. it seems to work pretty well. i didnt realise that you can get the xclip as an add-on, if so thats pretty cool.

Nov 21, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

lisp routines are when you combine a few commands into one. such as when you have 2 walls intersecting and the lines inside the intersectin have not been trimmed you would hit the button or type the commmand you created(lisp routine) then click w/in the intersection and WALLA all lines trimmed in 2 mouse clicks.
you can do this with many commands - you can download premade lisp routines @this link

Nov 21, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

My question is where is the best place to by AutoCad Lt?

staples has it for $849.00 Plus if I use my discount card

Nov 22, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: