Archinect
anchor

TwinCities MeetUp...

treekiller

Anybody up for a face-to-face shooting the architectural breeze in the twin cities?

Howbout Saturday Nov 18th????

Thoughts are at one of those hoity-toity wateringholes in the gutherie, or?

Chance to wear our new 'architecture sucks' shirts (if they arrive in time)!

Nov 6, 06 9:48 am
A

I prefer a good dive bar.

Nov 6, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

dive! dive!

ok, where?

Nov 6, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

I can't make it, as I don't live there anymore. But you might try lee's liquor lounge.
http://www.leesliquorlounge.com/

I love the fries.

j

Nov 6, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'm in, won't imbibe, but will partake in the convo and share the war stories. how bout a place with darts or shuffle bowling, or pool table??

Nov 6, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
A

Never been to Lee's but have been to Liquor Lyle's. I prefer the NE Mpls dives, but don't get out too much anymore.

Nov 6, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

i remember liquor lyle's! great neon, if i remember right. never went in. i was still afraid of country music back then, and that place looked like it might have some.

now i are a country music fan. : )

Nov 7, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
A

Steven - Did Kentucky turn you into a country music fan?

To answer your question, no country music at Lyle's.

Nov 7, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 

started with discovering the jayhawks and (then still country) joe henry while in minnesota, but then moving to kentucky sealed the deal. there's so much more to real country than the crud on commercial country radio, but i had never gotten a glimpse of it.

Nov 7, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

So is LLyle's the place? pre or post dinner? Any recs for NE spots? If we go st paul, I'd be happy at WC Frost's...

So where are all the CDes students??? what, you don't have time to start thinking about life after graduation?

Nov 7, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i've heard this place is good http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2006/060906_mfe_October_06_Best_Bar.html

Nov 7, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Nye's is good, though I haven't been there since it was named 'best bar in the world'.

I'm afraid of it being overrun with tourists and scensters like every bar I used to go to in Los Angeles or brooklyn that gets a national profile. Is Mpls any different?

So what time do we want to meet?

Nov 8, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

6am?

Nov 9, 06 7:03 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

is that sunday morning?

Nov 9, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

how about after dinner? 6 or 7 pm?

even early afternoon would be fine.

Nov 9, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Shall we flip a coin to choose a time?

A- any thoughts?

Nov 10, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

So are we on for this afternoon? or evening?

Nov 11, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the 18th right? evening works.

Nov 11, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

thought we were talking 'bout tonite 11|11. Next week works too. Sometimes I'm calenderly challenged. I'll have stories about my new job next week.

Nov 11, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah treekilla, next week that way we can all talk about the minnesota nice thing and cry in our tea.

Nov 11, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

oh, bring your significant other- they can also talk about the move and mn nice as they sip zin and we sip beer... (my wife doesn't want to left home)

Nov 12, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
A

Sounds like fun but I'm going to be out of town on the 18th. Have a cold one for me.

Nov 13, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

A- when is a good day for you to be there?

Nov 13, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
A

I'll email you later. Going to be quite busy for the next couple weeks.

Nov 14, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

da bears.

Nov 14, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'll need a couple of pints after my first week of work. So I'll be sitting at the bar at Nye's saturday evening after 7, proudly wearing my 'grass' architecture sucks shirt.

A' I'll catch up with you later...

and evil p- if the vikings ate as many chicago style dogs as ditka, it might have been a fair match up...

Nov 14, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
A

Have fun...that place is an institution.

Nov 15, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

looking forward to an NFC central showdown treekiller. At least we can all agree that no one likes greenbay.

I have cousins in the twin cities and Mankato - we went to some fun bars by U.Minn. but I cant recall the names. They were accross from the Steven Holl building at the University.

Whats the giant cathederal called?

Nov 15, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

well NFC Norse for the new kids

Nov 15, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

platy- their are two cathedrals now in mpls- one is the Walker and the newest is the Guthrie... don't know of anyother significant churches in town.

hmm- we need a CDes student to tell us what's across the street- where are they? don't they look at archinect?

see ya'll saturday! (or not)

Nov 15, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

tree, dinner and drinks or just drinks?

Nov 15, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hmm- let me check on that.

Nov 15, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I went a wedding at a massive gothic style cathedral which is now a nondenominational church right off a highway. It must be late 1800's - looks germanic/ swede like some in Chicago around Bucktown. The reception was at the Holl building on campus - all in all a great trip to Mineapolis. Great city, it would be nice to go back for exploring of the neighboehoods. I was surprised by the traffic jams though.

Nov 15, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Do you ever see Prince and/or the revolution around town?

Nov 15, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

rumour has it that the purple one has been spotted knocking on doors for the j-witnesses with his bodyguards in tow... unfortunately I've only been to places where he once walked.

B- As to dinner at Nye's, this saturday I'll be having a liquid meal - not to stop you and T from chowing down on solids...

Nov 16, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

I've seen him around in his purple plymouth prowler around the ridgedale area.

Nov 16, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

he used to prowl the mpls streets. i remember seeing him sitting at the stop light, window half hown, in his yellow bmw from the 'gett off' video as i sat at coyotes enjoying a margarita.

isn't he hangin out in las vegas at 3121 these days?

Nov 16, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
WTF?

$2,650PP? And they call this a web special? Guess I'm not that cool.

Nov 17, 06 1:55 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Kai- are you heading to Nye's on saturday??? hope to meet you too.

didn't know you had Mpls in your veins. or have you moved on like SW to other parts of the world?

Nov 17, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

it now 2007, last years attempt only got Beta & TK into nye's. There seems to be even more 'nectors lurking around the northwoods waiting for the snow to fall (and discussing under-rated places, local firms, and places to see)- so lets get together to discuss these in person!

I've heard the St. Paul winter festival is using plastic 'ice' to build the pavilions - do we dare take a look?

the polar bear/penguin exhibits at the zoo?

Any other ideas?????

Jan 4, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

killa, how about snowboarding or ice fishing? oh wait, it's like florida up in this mutha right now...maybe a take in a bball or hockey game? or shit a tractor pull, there has to be one going around somewhere. i am going to try and go to the AFH-MN minnesota meetings this year, the Congo Hospital project seems really interesting and would like to help if i can.

Jan 5, 07 4:46 am  · 
 · 

doesn't the mn aia do 'search for shelter' charrette this time of year? or not any more? THAT would be a great place for an archinect meet-up.

Jan 5, 07 7:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yep steven they are, and i am trying to figure out if i can commit time to it...exams and such.

Jan 5, 07 7:30 am  · 
 · 

one of the better things in which i participated there. now, of course, they could probably find some help in the mn 'architecture for humanity' chapter and grow the event a little.

great way to meet people in the architecture community with whom you might never otherwise come in contact. for example, one year i was on a team of 5-6 people including ralph and toby rapson. wish i had known more then about who ralph was and what he had done...

Jan 5, 07 7:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

cool! then i will make the time. i need to get more exposed to the local architecture community....

Jan 5, 07 8:11 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Congo Hospital AFH-MN archinect meetup - we'll do some good!!!!

next AFM meeting is 1.10 @ the wellstone center (in st. paul) 6-8pm
then there is a 'greenlight workshop' at Rapson Hall on the 18th & 20th...

or we go ride our atvs around town and destroy some habitat...

Jan 5, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i have this sudden urge to go all Paul Bunyun on some local habitat!

Jan 5, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

*bump*

that was 2006, this is 2007.

Several new archinecteurs have appeared in the north woods: Jonas & lmnop15, while the same-olds, same-olds are still kicking around...

So I recall noise (with the bridge thing) about doing an octoberfest sort of meetup in early october. Anybody else interested?

those twin cities lurkers are invited too.

might as well do a shout out to the rest of the upper midwest- all the more power too ya'll in ND, SD, NE, IA, WI, and Canada who are willing to jump in their cars and get to the twin cities for this shindig.

Sep 15, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, soon it will be chili time and hopefully moving in my house time...so october is looking good for something up in this mutha.

Sep 15, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: