Archinect
anchor

Aural architecture, application of auditory spatial awareness

bblesser

Mit Press has just released my new book: Spaces Speak, Are You Listening? Experiencing Aural Architecture. Listening is the ignored sensory modality in modern Western Culture, and this discussion demonstrates its relevance in ordinary life. Unlike acoustic architecture, which is the science of implementing a space with specific acoustics properties, aural architecture looks to the inhabitants for their needs and comfort. The two languages are different. Aural architecture has at least 4 kinds of spatiality attributes: navigational, social, aesthetic, and musical. I would be delighted to bring together like minded professions. Information about this book, and copies of the Introduction, are available on the MIT Press web site, or contact me at [email protected]

Nov 4, 06 10:36 am
chatter of clouds

do you want a discussion or a boost of sales?

i am confused.

Nov 4, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
bblesser

This book is my personal method for raising everyone's appreciation for hearing, an unappreciated sense modality. Authors never get rich selling books of this kind. After spending 5 years of my life writing this book, I do want my work to make a difference. Consider it to be a symbol of my passion for listening. Many architects think of their craft as being exclusively visual. As the famous Finish architect, Pallasmaa said, architecture should be called sensory architecture, which includes aural architecture. The book is just a vehicle.

Nov 4, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

noctilucent, it's pretty clear that bblesser wants to boost sales...

Nov 4, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

At least he wants to boost sales of something interesting and relevant to what this web site is about.

Nov 4, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: