Archinect
anchor

What pens/markers does everyone use for freehand rendering?

mgs

I've got my turqouise leads, rotring rapidographs, faber castell PITT pens, and some Copic Sketch Pens, what do you guys all use for freehand rendering?

I think I enjoy the PITT's the most if I need color. I want to love the Copic's because they cost me a fortune but I can't seem to control that damn brush as well as the PITT's. I know a lot of people like Chartpak and Prismacolor, why?

Oh, m.arch portfolio/application hell.

Oct 24, 06 12:55 am
seopee

hahaha, i just wanted to ditto your "m.arch portfolio/app hell" comment. sorry can't be of help -- background is non-arch and i'm terrible at drawing. i just use a pencil or sharpie, whatever's more in reach.

Oct 24, 06 1:59 am  · 
 · 
atowle

Nice cheap and simple black pen for thick lines (Pilot V Signpen) +
Nice cheap and simple black pen for thin lines (Pilot Hi-Techpoint V5)

Barely ever touch my Rotrings, too much hassle.

Oct 24, 06 6:02 am  · 
 · 
James Mayers

Ditto the above. Also those clasp pencils, can't remember any makes...also use Copics (or whatever the brit equivalent is) pretty widely for the colour rendering bit...

Oct 24, 06 6:15 am  · 
 · 

Oct 24, 06 6:58 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

pigma microns

Oct 24, 06 9:34 am  · 
 · 
remonio

Sanford Uniball Micro

Oct 24, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 

I use the faber castells for sketching as well. I have the set of blacks of varying thicknesses, then a small color set. But for serious rendering work I use my prismacolors. If you think they're expensive, but them up one or two at a time. Every time you go to the art store for paper, drafting tape, and foamcore, add on a prisma to the order, and you'll have a set before too long.

Oct 24, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
AP
Oct 24, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Rotring's disposable felt-tips are good and come in a nice range of thicknesses.

Oct 24, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i use either a sanford uni-ball fine for lines or the thin tip sharpie...the thin-tip sharpie can bleed to the other side of the page if the paper is not heavy...

i use prismacolor colored pencils for color rendering...much easier for me to use just because i can apply the colors slowly and layer them...doesn't give a high tech look though like the markers

Oct 24, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
anarchitech

Pigma Micron 03 or 05 first, then thick them lines up with Pilot Signpen and/or Sharpies.

Prismacolor Pens- using the 30% and 70% gray first for shading- then blending with colors over it.

Depending on scale of drawing, and on what kind of paper- must evaluate that first before choosing weapons of choice...

Oct 24, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

layout: sanford col-erase blue & carmine red

ink: staedtler permanent lumocolor F, M, S, & B, staedtler pigment liner 0.1-0.7, pigma micron 0.1 - .07, le pen, pentel sign pen

color & tone: prismacolor grey tones,colors & blender

to ink i just pick 2 or 3 pens; i like the staedtler F

Oct 24, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
archetype

pentel sign pen for layout and most sketches

v&c "stylist" for fine lines

PITT or Pigma-Micron brush pen, Kohinoor NEXUS for sketching

AD and TRIA markers in assorted colors.

Oct 26, 06 2:06 am  · 
 · 
Somnambulist

I would highly recommend "Le Pen", they are super cheap, fun to use, come in some interesting colors, and fit real well into a spiral bound sketchbook. maybe im only saying that because my office supplies them and i can take as many as i want as often as i want...

Oct 27, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Delvis, my old office stocked LePens and they are my favorite - but I can't find them anywhere! Will have to start buying in cases off the internet I suppose - I'm tired of using Sharpies.

Oct 27, 06 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
archrise

I can't ever stick to any one pen for any length of time. It all goes in cycles, continuously finding new things to draw with. I don't do many finished renderings but for sketching I have recently adopted construction pencils for their flat led enabling different line thicknesses from one pencil on the go.

Oct 27, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

I don't understand the question

Oct 27, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Chartpak AD markers are great and give you some good bold color. They are especially nice when adding some colors to a sketch over trace paper. Highly suggested and long lasting markers.

Jun 27, 19 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

And they smell SO NICE.

Jul 1, 19 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Micron + Chartpak.

Jun 27, 19 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

All of them.

Jun 27, 19 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

6mm graphite leads and charcoal sticks on canary yello trace or GTFO. 

Buts that’s too messy for office use. Fountain pens and 0.7mm graphite. Oddly, the same I was using 13y ago when this thread was first created. 

Jun 27, 19 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I can't stand graphite. I hated pencils even as a kid. Also never been fond of yellow trace.

Jun 27, 19 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Them be fighting words. Pistols at dawn!

Jun 27, 19 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i'm with you, yellow trace looks old and dirty for no good reason. graphite is fine, but i make too much of a mess smudging it. various micron, staedler and japanese fragrant ink pens for everything

Jun 27, 19 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I think it's because I'm a lefty. Smudges everywhere.

Jul 1, 19 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

flair paper mate.  Anything else is just a crutch. 

Jun 27, 19 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Only the REAL flairs I get shipped from the UK - the "flairs" sold in the US are trash.

Jul 1, 19 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

chartpak or you suck

Jun 27, 19 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: