Archinect
anchor

Help! double-sided printing on InDesign

axial753

hello all,

i'm making double-sided prints from InDesign, and i keep getting miss-alignment issues. i played around with the "Centered" option, and my page keeps shifting to the left about 1/8". i have quite a few full bleed pages, so the alignment has the be fixed!!

i tried printing the files onto PDF, and the pages are centered on screen, but not on paper. i assume that this is a printer setting issue?

i'm using Epson R1800, and its software cannot solve the problem either.

please help.

Oct 21, 06 4:39 pm
joe

Its the printer, I had the same problem doing my portfolio.. I had to sacrifice a little, measure the distance that it offset the print, and move it over in indesign so everything lined up properly.

I think it has to do with the printer margins. mne even does full 8.5 x 11, but to no avail, there were still allignment issues.
good luck

Oct 21, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

i have never been able to resolve that either. it is most certainly the printers (maybe) and not the software, and nothing to be done for it unless you print pro...would love to hear otherwise.

mostly i use full bleed printing, double sided, but make sure to leave space around the sides and in the middle so i don't have to worry about margins. i have been also measured and offset images in in-design so they would be aligned when printed out for a few special cases. doesn't come up very often though...

Oct 21, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Yes - nothing to do with InDesign and everything to do with printers. I just shift things slightly back and forth, using a trial and error method to make things work.

One alternative is to take it to a professional printer and let them do it.

Oct 22, 06 1:34 am  · 
 · 
alicat

okay there is another option to try without resorting to professionals. this is assuming you have been using your printer to do an automatic back to back from the print dialogue box. (otherwise the following may be very redunant. apologies :()

just print one side as per usual and then stick in the bypass tray upside down, or whichever way your printer goes. Try it with just a blank with the extra printing stuff (margins) indesign lets you select when creating a pdf, crop lines etc, to get it correct and then print your pages. (saves the waste of ink when testing)

I use this on our big printer/photocopier especially when doing important mockups. And I have done this at home with old canons and it has work okay. If you have full bleeds, and can afford it print on a size larger paper, A3 for A4 with the printer marks to help you trim)

Also indesign can be a moo-cow when you print straight from the program. Always use the export to pdf, to print...... especially if working from home and come to work/school to use the nice printers there. Too many tears of frustration if deadline looming.

Hope it helps

Oct 23, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

use thick paper...problem solved.

Oct 25, 06 8:08 pm  · 
mattbartram

:)

Sep 25, 20 2:46 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: