Archinect
anchor

$2000 AUD tv render? What the?

alicat

Was watching Jamie's Kitchen Australia last night whilst consuming a quick cheese toast for tea, and totally made a mess.

Enter Australian dude to talk to Architects (large firm lots of grads I know work there, subtle signage, well respected etc etc, shit I would work there, but then again maybe not)

They are behind schedule (remember its reality tv and "drama" equals ratings so taken that with grain of salt) and only have 6 weeks to open, architects say its 1 and 1/2 weeks from finished design (dont say if its sketch or progressed further into CD) and as yet to be approved by London. ie Jamie

Then the crux!! OMG. Jamie says he wants 3D renders (stills not fly-thrus) Architect dude says they will take a week of computer processing time for "photo realism" (Ahh well this is the business world I suppose, other jobs etc etc but dont they have the model already/have done plenty of glory shots over night or a weekend, bring out the CAD momkeys) and to quote "cost $2000 a pop" My cheesy toast goes flying, I gulped down my wine.

Then just as I was recovering....and wiping up the mess, they show promo of new show with renders. Now yes it was just a quick glimpse of them but they are the most shitty poor renders I have ever seen. Photo realism with these babies, oh dear I think maybe not.

I can't wait to see the design proper next week ("drama" you have me hooked...damm!). Promo shows it may not be liked....ooooooo

But really, do firms do that?
I have only worked in small design firms (archi and gd)....about to head overseas and yes, into another world...and have done a bloody lot of rendering....but I suddenly feel, well lost!!!!!

I shake my head in disbelief!

Sep 28, 06 8:23 pm
dia

Who was the firm?

Sep 28, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
alicat

woods bagot. think I might check out their website to see if they have anything on it

Sep 28, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

i know an former firm of mine used tio pay 1000 pounds for awatercolor rendering, 2000 aus dollars dont seem that much actually! in a commercial world, at least.

Sep 29, 06 4:48 am  · 
 · 
French

2000 euros is a pretty regular price here in france, not the cheapest but not outrageously expensive. I don't know how much it makes in dollars though.

Sep 29, 06 5:28 am  · 
 · 

ditto for the netherlands.

Sep 29, 06 5:46 am  · 
 · 
AP

$500 from China.

Sep 29, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Last day on the job in LA, I coordinated several 11x14 watercolors aerial rending. We bought the $2500 ones from a 'architectural rending' firm in Utah. If we had more time, we would have gone for the $10k one from our favorite artist, who couldn't meet our schedule (he's in LA). Other quote was $6,500 from the Bay Area - but his work is too saturated and a little cartoony.

Sep 29, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yup, that's not too much for a rendering, just depends on the quality.

Really, that's pretty cheap for a firm to charge under tight deadline. They couldn't have another firm do it for less and usually they will mark everything up.
I mean, large firms will charge $25+ for a 11x17 laser print!! I recall printing hundreds a week - all billed directly to the client.

It's business. You want it done you pay. You want it done well, you pay more.

Sep 29, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: