Archinect
anchor

foodography!

kim l.

okay i'm a super food-obsessed person. my daily conversation probably consists of about 80% on food alone. i'd like to start a thread of pictures of food, so that while i/we am/are eating nasty snack machine food on a late late night at studio, i can come to this tread and dream of deliciousness.

let the drooling begin.

note: it would be nice if you say what it is, and where you got it from (sorta like a picture version of chowhound)

if it helps, to post a pic use (without spaces inbetween the brackets and img...i had to put that in so it would show up):
[ img ] picturelink [ /img ]

braised ribs.lucques.weho

german burger.germanfountain.santiago,chile

Sep 26, 06 4:19 am
e

kim, my wife took a picture of every dinner she cooked [which was almost every night] for an entire year. it's pretty impressive to look at. sadly, i don't have them on line though.

Sep 26, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

yumn!

Sep 26, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
z|o|o|m

What's the green stuff on the burger?

Sep 26, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
design_junky

good lord, the blood in my veins slowed down just looking at those pictures.

Sep 26, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Ditka, Da Bears, Da Beef

I'm just having a little heart attack, no problem

Sep 26, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
e

more heart attack coming your way.

Sep 26, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

OOOH - Is that east coast? Do you ever do provolone on those steaks or does it have to be the pump cheese?

Sep 26, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
e

that's pat's in philly. my brother took me there while i was visiting. i believe there are cheese options, but the wiz is the way to go.

Sep 26, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Philly folks correct me if I am wrong, but the true Philly Steak cheese is white American. Anyone?

Sep 26, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

"Philly Cheese Steak cheese" rather.

Sep 26, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So many legends about the Authentic Philly Cheesesteak.

I always got mine at Gooey Louie's in deep, deep South Philly and they only used real provolone. I never liked the wiz, but it's one of many strongly held traditions.

Sep 26, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah I thought it was provolone, but that could have been a mistransgeolation to Pittsburgh.

Sep 26, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the hairs on my neck is standing up thinking about tasting that cheez whiz smothered cheesesteak

Sep 26, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But in keeping with the thread, the most amazing meal I had recently was at Moto Restaurant in Chicago. It's hyper-dramatic food chemistry, not just food, and it was an incredible experience. Most memorable part of my ten-course meal there was the black bean soup with dry-ice curry marshmallows in it. The delicious intense flavors were enhanced by the sense of danger upon putting a little piece of dry ice in your mouth. Just an incredible theatrical and delicious experience. I couldn't find any pics of that course online, but I did find this one:

OK, OK, the picture *looks* like severed tongues under a frozen taquito...but the description says it's sashimi (tuna, salmon, sea bass) with wasabi soda. I'm sure it is utterly divine.

Sep 26, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I miss philly steaks and hoagies- always did the provolone mushroom steak from pat's (have hated american and whiz since I first tasted them). Like the thicker cut meat then what they serve at geno's.

Sep 26, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Yeah LB. Homar Cantu, the chef, cooks with lasers, liquid nitrogen and even invents ( designs ) his utensils!! Ive wanted to try it out. was it worth the price to see genius in action?

I heard the peanut butter jelly drop is good.

Sep 26, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

what a combination - black bean soup with dry-ice curry marshmallows. sounds amazing.

one of my faves, simple but lovely...

waffles from brussels.

Sep 26, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

finding pictures of food (good ones) is more challenging than i thought. some louisville specialties:

mint julep

derby pie

bread pudding w/bourbon sauce

hot brown (invented at the brown hotel: turkey, bacon, sourdough, and a hollandaise-like sauce covered in cheese)

no pictures found:

[img]benedictine sandwich: bacon and cucumber/cream cheese spread on nut bread (invented by a louisville nun)

[img]kentucky burgoo: a stew like gumbo except, well, not much like gumbo

things we also do well:

basil mojito

bison (really!)

Sep 26, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

evilp, I'd say it is *definitely* worth it for an event meal out. It is a long evening getting 10 courses, and you will want to relax and enjoy it, so bring good conversation partners.

We started our meal a bit early and had the first few courses in an almost empty dining room, then got to watch the place fill up and left as it was getting a bit noisy. If you really want the "scene" aspect, go late on a weekend, but I really enjoyed the schedule we had. Service is absolutely top-notch, but it's a fairly casual feeling place. I think we spent about $800 for 4, only two glasses of wine (two non-drinkers in our party, and I didn't want to get loopy and not be able to really appreciate the food). I strongly recommend the experience.

Here's another pic: a plexi box with hot liquid in a lower chamber and a piece of fish above, while you eat one course the fish slowly cooks and is ready for the next course. Quite architectural.

Sep 26, 06 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that bread pudding looks great! i could use one of those and then a nice afternoon nap...

p2an, my favorite Dutch delight would have to be Oliebollen:

Sep 26, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lb, I saw something on tv about that place / that chef. I recall the part about him making his own utensils. very architectural indeed.

$200 a head? not this year.

Sep 26, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, the dutch love those oily balls, and also
bitter balls

Sep 26, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

myriam, ever go to Uncle Sams in Pgh? I miss that place.

Sep 26, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

what, no mayo on those fries?

Sep 26, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

one of the best breakfats i have had - vals. i think the view helps somewhat. i tried to eat as much as possible to last the whole day, typical technique when i stay at a hotel, but bloated in a bath - not such a good idea.

Sep 26, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

yes! that breakfast buffet is legendary! loose tea, fresh fruit, yogurt and muesli...the description doesn't do it justice...

bloated bathing! we did the same thing:

-wake for an early swim
-catch breakfast shortly before it's over
-bath until dinner.

our scheduling was fortunate - we were there over a Wednesday, and each Wednesday they have an evening session, like 3 or 4 hours long, and no one is allowed to speak. It's quite amazing, to be in there at night, no one saying a word...just the residual sounds of water, stone and bodies.

Sep 26, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

AP and p2an, what are you guys talking about? pass the hotel tip along!

Sep 26, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

how 'bout pics of gorgeous restaurant kitchens?

i can post a couple when i get home...i don't have any online right now.

Sep 26, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

myriam, the hotel is in vals, switzerland, connected to the peter zumthor baths.

Sep 26, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
AP

you can see the [grass] top of the bath bldg (out the window) in p2an's photo above...

Sep 26, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
A

The photo doesn't do it justice but people come from all over the world to eat a Jucy Lucy.

Sep 26, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

I'm now scouring the produce section of the supermarket every week for these:

I know it's early, but I don't want to miss a single week of pomegranate season...

Sep 26, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I can't find a pic of the actual food, but here is Marc Vetri of Vetri Ristorante in Philly. Philly 'necters, go eat there. It is also pricey - probably $200 for two, as I recall? - but it is pure perfect food. Not experimetnal gastronomy like Moto, just a truly talented and devoted chef making deliciously magical food. I think in the pic above he might be making cioppino? which I had and it was wonderful. Tiny place, reservations two months out, but my husband and I tried to go once a year for one of our birthdays and two of the top three meals I've ever had were there (the third was Moto). He's famous for a dessert that I sadly never had: lavender gelato in a dark chocolate shell over which hot olive oil is poured at table. My best dish there was a single ravioli with a quail's egg soft-boiled on top/inside of the ravioli so when you broke it the yolk spilled down over the pasta...oh my god. I also had a white bean salad with balsamic on it - took one bite and told my husband "I'm throwing out that bottle mis-labeled "balsamic" when we get home". Awesome. Quality food, nothing like it. Good thread, kim l.

Sep 26, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
kim l.

thanks liberty! late nights inspire dreams of great food. wow i love how food brings pple together

embiguous-the green stuff is mashed avocado (not guacomole). the white is globs of mayo (thats after i asked for easy mayo). but still delicious!

cheez whiz on philly cheese steaks are the best!

sole fish.felix's cuban.santa ana, ca

pancakes with banana and hazelnuts.square one.la

and nothing is complete without CREME BRULEE! bouchon.vegas

first and last image taken my fellow food obsessor linda.

Sep 26, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

malaysian fast food. no napkins. no plates. no untensils.

Sep 26, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Sep 26, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

What's that? Spicy chicks?

Sep 26, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hot peppers from HATCH, NM, i presume?

Sep 26, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

use to love to eat this -

now this is what i eat -

this -

and this -

i am addicted to the jalapeno smokehouse...

Sep 27, 06 12:04 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

is it just me, or do all the food pictures look undersaturated?

HDR Food (from flickr):

Sep 27, 06 12:07 am  · 
 · 
bRink

spicy okonomiyaki... looks like a barfcake but taste goood... with air thin fishflakes that dance in the steam... goood...

Sep 27, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
geezopeez

Variety of peach cakes at my friend Brian's house, LA.

My strawberry rhubarb pie, LA.

My pissaladiere, LA.

Sep 27, 06 12:15 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

geezopeez- nice photography. the peach cakes look delicious.

Sep 27, 06 12:23 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

oh - I shouldn't have looked at this thread... I'm huuuuunnngry and it's time for bed.

hey Rationalist - we've got a bumper crop of pomegranites and there's no way we can eat them all, just starting to ripen... send an e-mail to stop by (we're in Atwater Village) and pick some up!

Sep 27, 06 1:28 am  · 
 · 
a-f

ACfA: is that gyoza? Tasty!

Here are my japanese favourites:

Shabu-shabu

with

ponzu sauce

and

glass noodles

Sep 27, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

RA- will you ship to a refugee from silverlake now stranded in the midwest?

Sep 27, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I can say this pic is by one of my favorite clients, you will find her shots in most major cooking books on both sides of the pond.

Sep 27, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

Oh. My. God. That "Luther" burger looks heinous. I just gained 20lbs looking at it.

Sep 28, 06 12:20 am  · 
 · 
VampyVan

lol agree with dot..nasi lemak babeh!

Sep 29, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
really good jerky...

teriyaki brisket from Olancha CA

Sep 29, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: