Archinect
anchor

driveway materials

c_ty

Any suggestions for interesting pavers or other driveway materials?

Thanks!

Sep 20, 06 1:33 am
two-headed boy

pervious concrete link

porous asphalt link

turf pave link

decomposed granite link

Sep 20, 06 1:59 am  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

any paver as long as its on a sand or aggregate base and not a concrete sub slab.

Sep 20, 06 2:01 am  · 
 · 
mdler

nails

Sep 20, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
mdler

cats

Sep 20, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
mdler

cute hipster girls (just kidding)

Sep 20, 06 2:15 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

why do you need a driveway when most cities provide curb parking for free? also you shouldn't design for a car- design for the people!

Sep 20, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Shredded Tires:

http://www.permalife.com/MulchProducts.asp

Sep 20, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

oil & peastone.

Cats are great, but hard to roller-blade on.

Sep 20, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

I wanted to bring this one back.

I'll pass my afternoon tomorrow pouring through 4specs.com but wanted to see if any of you doing residential work like a particular paver/paving solution. I'm working with a 1960s Case Study-inspired house and am interested in something that would be both great for the front "motor court" and then through to the backyard around the pool.

Goodnight.

Jun 10, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

Okay, then crack a joke.

Jun 11, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

Anyone? Humiliate me?

Jun 12, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

Any experience with slate pavers?

Jul 24, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Naturally cleaved, slate is slippery as shit when in gets wet. The cheap stuff is also prone to exfoliation if you are in an area that gets freezing weather.

Jul 25, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 
waterhouse

How dumb is slate gravel in an area that gets freezing weather?

Jul 25, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Slate gravel, really?

Well any kind of gravel is not friendly to snow blowers, so ask your clients if they intend to use one.

Jul 25, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

saw these last weekend. anyone know who makes this or the product name?

Jul 25, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

drivable grass by a company called soil retention...go to soilretention.com...

Jul 25, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

awesome! many thanks!

Jul 25, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the spacing of the squares look a little sparse compared to the drivable grass though...look at grasscrete also

Jul 25, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
JTunn

These Sydney pavers have some interesting designs and patterns in their gallery.

Personally, I'm a sucker for anything natural stone.

Apr 9, 15 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Wonder what the shipping is on concrete blocks from Australia?

Gotta love spammers raising threads 8 years dead.

Apr 9, 15 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I actually used a subsurface grass paving product on my last house to park one of my kids cars on it.  I can't remember the actual product but once the grass grew in you couldn't tell it was meant as parking space ( exactly what I was intending ) The rigid plastic grid sits below the surface of the grass and holds a smaller compacted gravel / sand mixture that supports the weight of a small car and then I just sodded over top. The first year I was more worried about the firmness and root network of the lawn but after the second year it was fine.  I still wait till the snow has melted and the lawn is dried out in the spring before parking the cars over it so that it has a chance to firm up after the winter snow, but we park a good size Toyota Tacoma on it all year and it works very well.

Jan 22, 20 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: