Archinect
anchor

microstation v8

morgan2sims

Anyone use microstation? What do you think? What is essentially microstation? is it a modelling, rendering program or what?
and finally, can you give me a link on the web for microstation tutorials?
thanks

Sep 18, 06 9:25 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Its CAD with modelling and rendering extensions, like AutoCAD.
It has its good points.

Sep 18, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

agfa8x, here's the next Q: when u open the program, a box pops up, what should i do next?

i usually work with autocad. so microstation is totaly new to me. help.

Sep 19, 06 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

sorry, man, haven't used it for a while, and you aren't being very specific.

sounds like you need to google for tutorials, or check the manual.

Sep 19, 06 4:58 am  · 
 · 
tc79

morgan2sims,
Like Autocad, Microstation is a comprehensive CAD tool by Bentley. I find it to be more "architect friendly" than AutoCad, meaning much of the drawing operation is thru eye-hand coordination.
It's not likely that you've bought the program on your own, so you're probably working in an office. Go immediately to however is responsible for training and tell them you do not understand how to get started and ask for direction, for the tutorial and for a manual . Most of our new hires are Autocad trained, so we have a staff member sit with newbies to show them how to get started.

Sep 19, 06 5:55 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

thanks, irishtom!

Sep 19, 06 8:17 am  · 
 · 
tc79

Oh, the first box that pops up when you open Microstation is the "Microstation Manager". That is where you organize and navigate thru the file system. Each office will have its own file structure and naming system, but generally you would locate drawing files within a directory or subdirectory.
Good luck.

Sep 19, 06 8:46 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I kind of miss Microstation. Its best features are its handling of xrefs, layers, and accudraw (kind of like osnap,polar, and otrack in one tool). It also has great tools for annotating sheet files, and can easily be modified with scripts and programming.

Its not a particularly 'fast' program because it relies on buttons instead of commands, but now that I'm back to Autocad I find that it really was an efficient tool for producing construction documents.

that said, you need to get someone in your office to get you some training. its a hard transition to make...good luck!

Sep 19, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

thanks

Sep 19, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

Anyone know of any decent tutorials for V8?

Dec 20, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

"Anyone know of any decent tutorials for V8?"

ps -cool v8 feature
3d pdf

Dec 20, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
filo

v8 xm is the latest version. ...

Dec 21, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: