Archinect
anchor

Real Life Hobbit Holes

Christopher Daniel

The horrible thing about this is that it'll probably make quite a lot of money. The whole thing looks about as English as a Hollywood backlot.

Sep 14, 06 6:44 pm

Looks like a Thomas Kincade painting to me...

Sep 14, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

yer olde english feeling

Sep 14, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Has anyone seen that hobbit house in West LA? It isn't officially. It is called the story book house. The owner built it over, I think, 30 years.

Sep 14, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

we're all going to hell. why are americans so stupid

· 
le bossman

we're all going to hell. why are americans so stupid? only in america, and japan, would this ever happen.

· 

garpike- are there two of them right next to each other? just south of the mormon temple?

Sep 14, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

There is a big one, and this little guy in front:

Sep 14, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Hmmm... further south, rational. On Dunn St. just south of Venice Blvd.

Sep 14, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The momma.

Sep 14, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Damn someone beat me to it! I live in a 1919 stone house which was built on the edge of the town in 1919. It is everyones dream home, from small kids to senior citizens. We bought it five years ago for $80,000.00. It had been a rental for some twenty years. We have been working on it from before we moved in cause I had to physically move the renting tenant out. She had painted everything except the wood work mauve....and pink. Today we are next to the main drag, much like the famed Speedway Boulavard of Tucson, Arizona. We do all kinds of architecture, and I don't think I will ever be able to capture what this house offers to the people who live in it and those who walk,bike or drive by. People just stop and ask us about the house.
The funny story is I could have doubled my money a week after buying the house cause the dentist across the street really wanted to move his office into something more interesting. Aside from being a little lacking in energy conservation it is a great place to live. I don't think I mentioned it is 1,000 square feet on the floor level with a full basement and offers up three bedrooms and two baths, a fire place, vaulted ceilings in every bedroom and the living room, and Ten foot ceiling in the kitchen and first floor bathroom.

Sep 14, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

ah, I was thinking of the two little ones on Selby. I tried to find a pic of them, but no dice.

Sep 14, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Bilbo's nook in Matamata

Sep 14, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I'll have to check them out, r.

Sep 14, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

they're hard to see, set back from the street further than most houses there, lots of greenery. But they're like little fairy-tale cottages, I think they're even painted purple and blue. A block or two south of Santa Monica Blvd, one west of Overland, northwest corner lot.

Sep 14, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool. I'll look for them.

Sep 14, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

And if some old woman comes out of one of them and offers my sister and I some yummy food, we'll run away. I'm not doing that again.

Sep 14, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and I was thinking of moving to oregon

Sep 15, 06 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

(Supposedly) The Ultimate Secure Home (For Sale By Owner)

Sep 15, 06 1:17 am  · 
 · 
bRink
not exactly a hobbit house
Sep 15, 06 2:26 am  · 
 · 

maybe they're meant to be retirement homes for LARPers? then it would make complete sense!

Sep 15, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Although I'm completely appalled by the idea of living in a themed neighborhood (I don't even want to think about what kind of deed restrictions you'd have to agree to to live there!) and I'm somewhat creeped out that people actually exist who would even want to live in places like this, the houses themselves appear (based on the real photos & specs, not the godawful renderings) to be much more environmentally responsible and better designed and constructed than the average McMansion.

Sep 15, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
garpike

That house rocks. I am buying it today.

Sep 15, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

now this is a hole...

Sep 21, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: