Archinect
anchor

Invitation required to create a profile

Archrichard

I created an account for Archinect (username tied to e-mail address) as directed upon clicking the "add portfolio / resume" link in the job forum...

Only to find that I cannot create a profile without an "Invitation" or by my special request  (impress us????!!!!!) to the staff of Archinect which cannot be influenced.

It seems that the only (immediate) benefit of having a username is being able to post on these boards... So, here are my questions:

Have you waited to be "invited" to create a profile, and if so, how long?

Have you sought an invitation by special request, and if so was it "granted" by the staff?

If granted, how long did it take?

What are the other benefits of having a username (other than being able to post on these boards)?

Has anyone received spam (directly or indirectly) via their Archinect account?

Thanks

Apr 27, 11 11:58 pm
Rusty!

Young grasshopper, patience.

Rolling out a whole new site is a lot more difficult than it looks. But things appear to be improving on daily basis.

The reason for 'invitation' profiles is for quality control. You let in a number of people that will actually put in good effort. If you swing open the doors from the start, you will be flooded with fake profiles selling you dildos. Most of us don't want that.

Answers to your other questions should be obvious to a keen eye.

Other than that, WHERE'S THE DAMN SALARY POLL SECTION ARCHINECT?? It's how I discovered this site back in '04 (but didn't bother participating in until my kitty Le Copurrrrsier died).

Apr 28, 11 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Archrichard

Thanks for your reply rusty!

I understand that roll out can be grueling.

Your explanation of profile limitations is thin (are you admin?)

I wish it had been made clear that certain functions featured prominently on the site were beta versions. Giving a time frame for roll-out would help, too.

(Managing expectations and all.)

Anyhow, if the functionality is available for one profile, it is there for any number of  profiles. (Really, it seems the limiting factor would be bandwidth / server space.)

And certainly, the current exclusivity (as presently described) only serves to make the profile seem like an elite privilege bestowed at the discretion of management...Not what I would consider to be building a sense of inclusive community.

And obviously, it doesn't take a profile, but only a username to post inappropriate comments.

(An ignore function is necessary to achieve individual control.) A sysadmin / moderator should be available to review flagged content for removal

The Editorial & News section looks sharp and professional. The content reads well.

It seems the other features are being bootstrapped into existence, which is fine. Management should make this clear. Also, I would take the operation more seriously if the contact email address were to be migrated to the archinect domain name...G-mail?!!

(Obviously, my comments are really directed to the attention of creators of the site, and my intention is not to be contentious.)

Thanks again for your response.

AR

Apr 28, 11 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Archrichard

POP!

Apr 29, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

POP? Is your printer out of paper?

I'm no admin. Quite the opposite of that. In fact, I need constant babysitting from admins and other users when I post.

I hear ya on all your observations! Things will eventually get to the point where it all makes perfect sense. 'Bootstrapping' features to a project is something most architects are familiar with. Project creep is exactly what it is. 

Outside of Steve Jobs style secrecy when it comes to announcing new features (all the cool kids are doin' it), things are looking up for this site. Admins are paying close attention.

It will take time because, even though I'm sure this is a profitable operation, this is still a modest undertaking. Until it gets bought out by AOL chat!

Yaay!

Apr 29, 11 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Archrichard

Still waiting...

Jun 8, 11 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

....funny!

Jun 8, 11 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Archrichard - there's no record of your account applying for a profile.

Jun 8, 11 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

I have to agree with just about everything that Archrichard has said.  Limiting functionality early on -- sure, makes sense.  But the handling of the current beta-state of the profile features comes across as offputtingly exclusive.  As much as I love this site, it's why I haven't applied for a profile (or as presented: submitted to evaluate my archinect-worthiness...)

I look forward to the full roll-out...  and I agree with all the compliments on the improvements over the old site.

Jul 7, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

subtect - the primary reason for the beta-phase invitation requirement is so we can continue development with a controlled amount of users. if we let everyone join in during the beta phase it would be chaos. beta-phase development is generally never open for all.

that said, we are VERY close to the launch of 3.1, which will include the opening of profiles and other new features. matter of days.

Jul 7, 11 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: