Archinect
anchor

insight into these firms?

get on my level

Has anyone worked at them or know anyone who has and can provide some insight into the culture there.  (ie.  process, priorities, hours, etc)

NYC:

rogers marvel

cook fox
shop architecture 
Peter Gluck & Partners 
architecture research office
WORKac
solomonoff architecture studio
weiss manfredi
lyn rice architect
polshek
weiss manfredi
rogers marvel
leeser

SF:

Saitowitz
BCJ
Aidlin Darling Design
Mark Cavagnero Associate

Apr 7, 12 3:23 pm

thats a pretty massive list. i have friends who have been at/or are at cook+fox, 1100 and workAC and have actually met the parters of all 3 of those firms. They're all 3 really awesome and do great work. Ive been in the office of cook+fox in New York which is really nice and the office of 1100 Architect in Frankfurt which is also pretty nice. what is it you're looking for?

Apr 7, 12 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

hours in nyc can range from brutal to relatively harsh.

in most nyc firms, leaving before 6:30pm is frowned upon.

expect 45-55 hours on a normal week. 65+ on most deadlines.

Apr 7, 12 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
get on my level

Hey thanks for the remarks.  Yes i guess its a large list, i'm searching for a job.  I've worked at SOM-sf for a year, and a couple of small firms abroad for a few months each.  I guess i'm looking for a firm that does medium ish projects (bonus points if they're local) because I find that its way easier to feel closer to the work.  right? (i know polshek and shop do larger projects)   shop's business and practice model really interests me.  not really sure why polshek.    

I also don't want to work with a bunch of architecture zealots, sacrificing their health and personal lives for some mutation of their project leader's interpretation of the starchitect design partner's vision.  (is that too harsh?)

I'm particularly interested in the ARO, because of the exceptional amount of intellect/thought they put into their work (so it seems) but am feeling uneasy about working over 60 hrs a week every week.  50 is doable though, 9-7 workday. and the occasional 65 is fine too.

I don't know, maybe working for a som, gensler or perkins wouldnt be so bad.  That's mainly the types of offices in the sf region anyway.  

thoughts?

Apr 7, 12 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Dani Zoe

I have a friend who works at SHoP, apparently if he wants to grab lunch outside the office, he needs to get permission from his boss... i think that sums up his experience with them...

Apr 7, 12 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

"I don't know, maybe working for a som, gensler or perkins wouldnt be so bad.  That's mainly the types of offices in the sf region anyway.  "

That's what I did right after I graduated - SOM-SF for 16 months - mainly working from 9-8pm each day doing production and renderings with Revit - it was kind of like post grad school - Now I work at a small office in Jackson Square just up the street from William Stout architectural books - It's more laid back - 8:30 - 5:30 doing a lot of TI work(42,000SF mostly and now a historic project up over on North Front Street - we are busy - but except for an occasional 2-3 hour rush - it's pretty laid back. - we always have projects to work on though. - I miss working in the Majors though

Apr 7, 12 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

"50 is doable though, 9-7 workday"

i've never met an architect who works less than 45 in nyc.

eh, 9-7 every day for a week will put you at 45-47 hours if you take a half decent lunch break every day (that's only way you're keeping yourself sane. because it's the only time you won't be too exhausted to take a stab at a book or communicate with the outside world in a coherent fashion). you do know when I say 45-50 i'm not including my 45 minute lunch break.

work any less, and the try-hards will have you under their wheels, and you'll be sacrificing a lot, career-wise.

architecture is a not just a job. if you want a job, go rock out the consultant card elsewhere.

Apr 8, 12 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
get on my level

thanks for the comments. keep em comin.  

@dani- yes, i heard shop used to be like that, but is now more of a 9-7 (or 9-8, fluxbound) kinda of deal. have a friend working there as well.  maybe they have really tasty team lunches everyday? 

@zenakis - what's TI work? jackson square is awesome.  you know much about any of the other offices up there?  

@fluxbound -  9-8 then.  its pretty difficult to be productive after that.  Architecture is not just a job, but come on, if you're not the boss, it's a job.  so you work in nyc?  know much about any of the offices i mentioned? or any others you like?  

Thanks

Apr 8, 12 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

get on my level

as far as offices are concerned - you could e-mail me(one of them was classmate of mine back in high school architecture) or check out the AIA-SF index they have them at the AIA office on 130 Sutter. MEM on Pacific does a lot of custom high end residential - they use Revit -

TI = tenant improvement - building-out the interior space of the building,  retrofit work - it's a lot of technical stuff - problem solving - coordination with structural,MEP, design - Quick turn around 1 month on design SD,DD,CD and off to permit and construction - Most of the long hours happens with the big name firms.

Apr 8, 12 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
get on my level

flag/bump

Apr 9, 12 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
poiuy

The big offices are corporate cults. Unless you are compensated for the hours or it's a great experience for you and you are learning a lot, you are being taken advantage of... Don't see many people older than 40 if you think about it... unless they are senior.

May 16, 12 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
H3ndrik

50 hours is a standard work week in NYC so imagine what all the architects think they should be working until...

May 16, 12 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
sldjsg

Check here. 

http://www.honestr.com/Archleaks_UK

May 17, 12 12:55 am  · 
 · 
derekmc825

I just visited Saitowitz and Aidlin Darling, overall very impressed with there processes, working environments, and projects. :) If everything goes through i should be interning at Aidlin Darling in the Fall :)

May 17, 12 7:34 am  · 
 · 
tylerhopf

http://www.honestr.com/ArchleaksUS.  Everyone should use this so we can all get insight into them!

May 17, 12 7:54 am  · 
 · 
get on my level

The SF scene tends to be a bit more chill than the ny scene.  Nyc is just extreme in all ways.  But you do actually find firms - even in nyc- that have a great rep and that have reasonable hours as well.  (45-50)

May 18, 12 11:58 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Chill more so than NY? in what ways? - 

May 18, 12 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: