Archinect
anchor

Tips on Applying for Master's in Landscape Architecture?

revdillane

Anyone have good ideas for how to prepare for applications to first-professional landscape architecture Master's programs? I don't have any work experience in the field, and my undergraduate degree is in cinema, but I am anxious to learn while attending school. Is this possible, or are schools gernally looking for students who have some sort of background (be it in science or design or arhitecture)? I am working on my portfolio, applications, and GRE prep as we speak, but should I be trying to squeeze in classes, too? I have done a lot of research and reading on the discipline, and I have done a bit of shadowing landscape architects in my area, but will that be enough (in conjunction with a good application) to grant me admission? I'd really appreciate anyone's input!

Sep 11, 06 5:25 pm
va bene

Yay- Landscape Architects! Anyway, I just started my first year of a MLA-1 program at Cornell, and just looking at my incoming group schools are definitely looking for people with a wide variety of experiences (we have undergrad majors varying from arch. studies to linguistics to anthropology, and everything in between). There were a few people in my group who attended the disco(?) at the GSD for LA before coming and that seemed to help them, and there are some who have done work in LA offices as well. If you have any background in landscaping (worked in a nursery, etc.) that's always a good start. Work on your portfolio and keep shadowing LAs in the area, and make sure you show a definite interest in the field (know what you're getting into), and you should be fine. Good luck!

Sep 19, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
revdillane

Thanks, va bene! (Seems you like and/or are Italian - I studied that as well - yay!). I'm actually really interested in the Cornell program (that and one of my recommenders did her undergrad there and thinks it's great, but she's not an architect...), so any tips/insider opinions you have to offer on the program would be invaluable. I'm curious, also, how you decided which program to go to. What was it about Cornell that made you choose it? What other programs did you apply to? Did you visit them all before making a decision?

Sep 20, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

cinema could be a beautiful pairing with landscape ... i'm sure you'll find ways to make that work. i studied art history, then went to penn landscape. i found that the people with the most interesting work took whatever skills / ideas they came with and tried to find some continuity as they moved into graduate studies, even if it seemed like they were entering a radically different field.

Sep 20, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

cinema is a waste of time. there are many reasons why I consider myself a refugee from hollywood. Being an LA (no longer in LA) has provided many more opportunities to make the world a better place. So do you want to deal with real issues or just tell stories?

otherwise. I second Heather's comments (as a classmate of hers).

Sep 21, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 
va bene

Regarding Cornell, I'd definitely come to visit and get to know the profs- they're pretty great! Before I applied I had a few profs at my undergrad who had been in/taught at the program, so I knew quite more about it than most, however, one of the biggest reasons I choice Cornell over the other institutions I was accepted into was it's location in the Agriculture & Life Sciences School. This is very different from most of the other programs (all of the Ivies) and because my background was in the artsy side of architecture, I wanted something that had more of a concentration in the agriculture side of Landscape Architecture- thus, Cornell!

Anyway- I would definitely come and visit the school if you're really interested, talk to the students (I'll be in the 1st year grad studio in the corner!) and the profs.

Sep 22, 06 10:32 am  · 
 · 
beatbox

Va bene, How do you like the Cornell program so far? What other programs did you look at?
I'm also looking at MLA programs as well, so I am curious......

Sep 22, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

check out the asla's student awards. there are some awesome programs that won, that aren't the usual subjects (ok, beyond Penn)...

good luck with the apps

Sep 22, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
A

treekiller - did you finally make it up to Mpls? How do you like our Seattle-like weather we've been having lately? And two months ago it was 100 degrees.

Sep 22, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

A- I'm here and just chilling while waiting to hear back from the places I interviewed at. I contacted Rebecca Krinke about being on some landscape juries- should be fun. I'll drop you an email. to see my some images from my trip I posted them here.

Ya'll wanna be landscapers- check out the University of Minnesota's LA department, cool stuff happening there... Also New Mexico kicked butt in the ASLA awards.

If anyone is heading to the ASLA convention in MPLS, drop me a line....

Sep 22, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
revdillane

I'm also looking at U of Minnesota - I actually spoke with Rebecca Krinke a few days ago. She is essentially the reason I am really considering the program. It seems like a really interesting program. Is there anything in particuar that you like/know about the program, treekiller?

Beatbox - where are you looking at applying?

Sep 22, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
revdillane

I'm also looking at U of Minnesota - I actually spoke with Rebecca Krinke a few days ago. She was extremely smart and helpful. It seems like a really interesting program. She actually put me in contact with a current MLA student there. Is there anything in particuar that anyone likes/knows about the program?

Beatbox - where are you looking at applying?

Sep 22, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
revdillane

Woops - my internet froze and I didn't think it actually posted...sorry for the double entry...

Sep 22, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

R-

No real connections to the U of M program yet- just getting into the booster spirit for the local U. Well, i really like Krinke's writings and research too, so that's why I'm hoping to help out on a few juries this year. it could be fun to help reshape a program...

Sep 22, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
A

treekiller - your link doesn't work. please fix, I love trip photos. I live vicariously through other people's trips while mine have been non-exsistent lately.

Don't know much at all about the UofM's LA program. Sadly I'm not even in the know about the arch program anymore. Things got busy.

Sep 22, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

try:
http://flickr.com/photos/treekiller/

three days for 2400 miles (including a 200 mile detour caused by missing my turn in Tonapah, Nevada - hwy 6 turns left and didn't see the sign, went streight and ended up heading towards vegas)

Sep 22, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
va bene

beatbox- I also applied to RISD, SunyESF (Syracuse- also a great program) and UMass. Cornell was my first choice from the beginning, but I wasn't sure where I would be able to get in, and was pleasantly surprised when I was accepted everywhere I applied.

I'm enjoying the program greatly thus far, lots of work- but that's why the first year is the bootcamp year. I'm learning a good mix of everything from graphics to design to plant materials and history of LA. It seems like a very balanced program.

Sep 22, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

Rev, Currently I'm looking at U of Oregon, Risd, Penn, and AA.
How about you?

I just started researching the schools last month...trying to decide which ones to visit and so forth. This is actually the first time I've heard of Cornell and UM's programs.

Shows how far I'm outta the loop......

Va Bene, How would you compare RISD to Cornell? Other than what I can gather from the web/blog sites I know very little.......

Sep 23, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

BB-

two poles of LA programs - Horticulturally focused and Design...
(these are a generalization). The professors and visiting critics push their own ideology/pedigology that can alter the focus year to year.

a few of the more ecological/horticulture programs are:
cornell
umass
UC Davis

the opposite end of the continuum are the design focused programs like:
upenn
GSD
UVA

most programs fall inbetween- though you will learn ecology and some horticulture at penn & umass will teach you design...

most state schools tend to be more horticulturally based and very traditional in design/graphics.

In CA, Berkeley is the best program overall (design focused), while UC Davis has a great horticultural/ag program. CalPoly is middle of the road, USC is too new to know what it is.

Yale School of Forestry has an interesting (non-LA) program

Ohio State has the top ranked undergrad LA program (and the grad program is pretty good too) they are middle of the road, though tilting towards design...

Another aspect to look for is how many studios travel to distant locations - the northeast schools tend to travel alot- midwestern/southern less so.

Check out the ASLA's site for a list of all US LA schools.

good luck with selecting.

Sep 23, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

The western schools tend to have a cool infrastructral/post-industrial side focused on mine reclaimantion- Colorado & Nevada have some really interesting projects along these lines...

Sep 23, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

Thanks Treekiller. I'm looking more into the design aspect this time around.

USC's program no longer exists. Apparently Rios left over the summer..leaving them rudderless.

So much for staying in LA........

Sep 23, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
va bene

RISD is much more design centered (as it is in an Art school), whereas Cornell (as previously mentioned) is much more horticulturally centered. There are many other differences within the schools (including studios etc.) as well as obvious differences in cost and location.

The big difference, however, exists in the differences between a design centered education as compaired with a more ecologically centered education.

That said, we (at Cornell) do have a (visiting?) professor from the GSD who is definitely bringing in more of a design centric atmosphere; furthermore, within the next couple of years we should be getting a large influx of new professors who will probably continue to mold the program.

Sep 23, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

LA in LA sucks. there is no imagination within any of the firms (or schools). BB you're much better getting out of dodge for grad school. It's strange how a city with great architects can produce no landscapers of distinction, that was one of the reasons why I was happy to leave...

best LA in CA these days is Walter Hood (and a great reason to go to Berkeley), Hargreaves is coasting of his earlier fame and there aren't many others noteworthy national or local practices. Most of the good work seems be coming from the corporate landscape firms in Cali...

(thanks for the gosip about Rios.)

Sep 23, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
revdillane

I actually work at USC, and I have spoken with a few of the architecture profs, who all kind of agreed that the LA program doesn't really...well, "it's on the books," they seem to say. There was also a woman who started up the program here

I agree, though, about getting out of LA to do LA. Seems quite constricting here. Only one of the three firms that are even shortlisted for the LA Cornfields project is from LA (that would be ml+a). We can't even get our own people to work on our landscapes...but enough of the dodge--

Treekiller - thanks for the breakdown on the schools. Heard anything about the UOregon program? I met with the chair a few months back, and he was extremely helpful and very enthusiastic. I am interested, I think, in a school with a bit more of a design focus, but one that will still allow me to explore issues of sustainability. I just know that I don't want to be left in the dust (or the soil?) by not having the good computer and design training. At Oregon, they told me they'd be focusing a lot more on hand-drawings than computer-generated ones. That said, I could use a lot of training in horticulture and ecology.

BB- I'm thinking of: Penn, GSD, Cornell, Oregon and UMN. I'm not married to applying to Oregon, but if chances of working in Portland are high post-graduation, I'd love to live and work there. I think I'm most interested in Penn, but I did just receive the written publications from U of MN on Friday, and it looks really exciting. I'm psyched about their Port Cities studio abroad semester. Also, they have several well-reknowned visiting faculty this (last?) year - Marc Treib, Hargreaves, etc. Which one is AA? I was thinking of Berkeley (as I've finally garnered CA residency...), but it didn't seem very design-focused at all. What's the word on RISD's program?

Sep 25, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I've worked with some great people out of RISD and their program is top notch.

Don't know much about U of O, have encountered more people from U of Wash and Seattle.

The usual subjects tend to either apply to Penn, RISD, GSD & UVa, (most of the people visiting Penn applied to those other schools too) or go the Cornell, UMass, Yale Forestry routes on the east coast.

If you visit Minneapolis for U of Mn, drop me a line.

Sep 25, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
benzina0

is anyone still in the application process for landscape architecture graduate schools?

i'm doing the SUNY and UPenn applications right now and would love to hear some input on the schools.

i have a biology background and want a school where I can use my knowledge in science but definitely want to graduate with a full understanding of design.

Jan 11, 07 12:57 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Benzina-

Landscape at any school will allow you to be as/as not scientific as you desire - it all depends on which electives you choose.

Best of luck - I had a great time at UPenn and know very little about the SUNY program.

Jan 11, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I'm in the thick of it right now. Applying to Penn, Harvard, and U. Washington. I'm in a little different situation, though, because I already have an MArch, so I'm trying to get in with advanced standing.

What have you found out about the SUNY program? I'm interested in programs that deal with landscape urbanism and urban ecology, hence the schools above. It seems like all the best contemporary landscape theory is coming out of Penn, the GSD is always a solid school, but I haven't heard much coming out of there lately. And Washington I applied to mostly because of the city. You can't beat Seattle (and nearby Portland and Vancouver) as a laboratory for studying the interaction between the city and its environment.

Going on 3 hours of sleep right now. Have been up until the wee hours everyday this week working on my portfolio...

Jan 12, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Kak- advanced standing makes things go much quicker, but at Penn, the first year is the best. Folks with advanced standing miss that experience to play and never seem to get as much out of the program. Going in with an M.arch, you may need more deprogramming/ brainwashing then the blank slate of most others. But where did you get the M.Arch?

Jan 12, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
eenie

If you have only an archtecture degree, can you still practice landscape architecture?

Jan 12, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Treekiller, I got my MArch from Georgia Tech. There was only one professor there with a Landscape Architecture background (one of the best professors though), so I didn't have a whole lot of exposure to a lot of the issues covered by landscape architects. GTech has a pretty strong urban design emphasis in the program, but something about it always seemed hollow to me without the landscape component.

Jan 12, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hmmm- I don't recall any Gtech classmates at Penn during my tenure. It's worth talking to each program that accepts you to determine both the opportunity for advanced standing and what would serve you the best. At Penn, even if you go the 3 year route, you'd be able to get waivers for some of the construction courses at a minimum. You do know how to detail a retaining wall from your structures class?

U. Wash still has Richard Haag teaching (i think)- he's as good a guru to study under, though he isn't the rockstar that Corner is...

Also, if you decide to skip another 3 years of sleep deprivation, check with your local state registation board. Some places still allow architecture degrees to qualify after X years for the licensure exam... this won't provide the richness of more grad school, but is an option. Laurie Olin is an example of an architecture trained LA you has risen to the top of the profession (but he did work with Haag).

good luck and let us know where you get in!

Jan 12, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Thanks for the advice, treekiller. I know that a lot of architect's have made some great contributions to landscape architecture, more so than many landscape architects, but my reasons for going back to school aren't just to get a credential, its just that as I've been in the architecture field for about 4 years, i've found my interests have gravitated in that direction. I'm still going to be a licensed architect, and I may not even try and get a landscape license unless it becomes a real issue, but I think some intense design experience in landscape will really help me grow professionally and personally.

I'll be sure and let you know where I go. My portfolio really started to rock as of about 4am!

Jan 12, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
revdillane

I know how you feel about the three hours of sleep a night...I just mailed the Berkeley and U Wash about two weeks ago. Going to slip Minn and Harvard in the mail Sat. morning, then I've got Cornell and Penn left...

Thanks for the tip on the Prof. at UWash, treekiller.

Jan 12, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Double check on Haag's status, he is semi-retired, but really nice. at Penn we had one of his gardens as a case study and he spent an hour on the phone talking to my classmates.

Jan 12, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
arri

pick u of new mexico cause it can cost only $4,000 a semester (in state tuition). just a thought!

Jan 12, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
benzina0

Thanks for the advice treekiller.

kakacabeza - From what I've heard of Harvard it is by far the best school for post-graduation connections. Two landscape archs have highly recommended it to me for that reason.

I started looking at the SUNY program because it is ranked well in the DesignIntelligence survery, and I like that you can take classes in any of of the Syracuse University Departments while you are there, but otherwise I don't really know much about it. I'm just finishing up my UVA application now and then I will spend some more time investigating it.

Good luck with your aps.

Jan 13, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

upenn's alumni network isn't to shabby either...

any thoughts of yale school of forestry? they are offering a dual degree with an M.Arch for sustainable design/ horticulture or something else really fun. not that there is any time left this year for sending them an application.

Jan 13, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
va bene

benzina- The SUNY program was up on my list last year when i went through the application process (ended up at Cornell). It's a great school with a program more like the UMass, Cornell and Yale route than the GSD route (i.e. less focused on design, more on the environmental element). That's not to say that design isn't an important aspect of your studies; however, just be aware that it definitely has more of an environmental focus (it is a forestry school).

Jan 13, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
benzina0

what are everyone's thoughts on schools that focus more on the environmental side of landscape architecture?

Jan 14, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
va bene

Personally I find them to be better at preparing their students for post academic life. Furthermore, the reason I chose such a program also had to do with my background which was more design oriented, so I felt as though a program where I would be more exposed to the environmental aspect of the profession would be much more appropriate to continue my eduction. If I had a background in environmental studies or something similar I probably would have chosen a more design oriented program (GSD, UPenn, RISD etc.). Hope this helps- and good luck!

Jan 14, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'd happily hire the enviros so I could focus on the designy stuff...

Jan 14, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
reveillette

i'm in my first year of LA at Penn (also from los angeles, treekiller) and I love it. it's the only landscape program i applied to, but i applied to some other arch schools and wanted to do a dual program if i went to penn--which i did! i chose penn because they gave me a fantastic scholarship, but i also loved the program when i visited, so i probably would have chosen it even if i hadn't gotten any money.

anyway, i don't know much about other schools, but for me penn is a great school because the program draws faculty from the other programs in the design school (architecture, fine arts, city planning, historic preservation), and they really encourage dual degrees, so the education is very interdisciplinary. i do wish we had slightly more horticultural emphasis, but i've found myself with more electives than expected after waiving out of a few classes, so i'm trying to take as many ecology/plants classes as possible (they do offer many, just not part of the core requirements series)

as for admissions, i'm not sure what the official stance is, but my class has a wide range of backgrounds. there are 27 total, about a third have an architecture background (including me), another third have a fine art/design background, and the last third range from ecology to economics to international relations. most of the people with a totally unrelated background (though i hesitate to say anything is TOTALLY unrelated to LA!) sought some sort of experience before applying, whether career discovery at GSD or working in a firm.

good luck to all! i'd be happy to answer questions about the first year at penn.

Jan 15, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Hi and welcome Reveillette!

yeah, I found that penn seems to admit a more diverse crowd then the other schools, but that is an un-scientific survey and based entirely on the impressions gleaned will visiting lots of programs 5+ years ago.

I'll second the support and emphasis on dual degrees at penn.

R- who was your studio instructor for 501?

Jan 15, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
revdillane

Reveillette - great to hear you are enjoying your studies at Penn! I'm really intrigued by that program, and I would love to hear what kinds of projects and/or field studies you're working on thus far. I'm also in LA right now, so I'm curious what kinds of urban issues they focus on back East...

PS - How did you snag these good scholarships?

Jan 15, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

slip a bag of grass in with your portfolio

Jan 15, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Jim plays favorites and chooses a few student each year for the $$$. Everybody else gets a token amount $5-$10k just so they don't get too pissy over the tuition bills.

Jan 15, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Soleg

hi there, just move from South America to sfo. I m looking for a landscape arquit. Master/certificate. I need to be flexible no full time student. Any advice on ucla extension? Academy of art in sfo? Now Berkeley is good but I can’t be a full time student. Any advice on these programs? Are they good? Thanks 

Apr 6, 22 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: