Archinect
anchor

Inspiring books

NiEv

Which books swept off your feet?
I'll start:

Catalytic Formations by Ali Rahim (it's the new bible in our studio, the renderings are amazing and the text is very interesting)

Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software by Steven Johnson (that book is just brilliant)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (he wrote that book long before Dan Brown came up with his dumb story)

Sep 8, 06 2:14 pm

foucault's pendulum is definitely high on my list.

others:
glass bead game - hesse
magic mountain - thomas mann
ada - nabokov

Sep 8, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

that Emergence book is pure pulp trash. in a good way.

I read it in a few hours a few weeks ago. fun stuff. (very zeitgeist.)

Sep 8, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and i'm still realing from the 1-2-3 punch of Jared Diamond's "The Third Chimpanzee", "Guns Germs and Steel", and "Collapse"

good stuff.

Sep 8, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

we're not really talking architecture books, but still several years later i'm glad i read 'how buildings learn' by stewart brand. smartest architecture book by a non-architect i've ever read and very influential in the way i look at things.

his 'clock of the long now', though it draws on too long and could have been pamphlet-sized, is also pretty compelling.

Sep 9, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 

eco is always good, if challenging, and yes much better than dan brown...

book with the most lasting impression is by daniel dennet, called "darwin's dangerous idea". a book about the philosophy of evolution. helped me to understand the nature of change without teleology. much better than "emergence" ;-)

Sep 9, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 

i'd say almost always good. loved name of the rose, foucault's, baudolino, island of the day before, and many of his nonfiction writings.

thought the most recent novel 'the mysterious flame of queen loana' was beautifully produced, illustrations in color, etc, but as a reading experience it was a waste of time. i was angry when i finished it, at least hoping for a payoff at the end.

Sep 9, 06 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Informal by Cecil Balmond
Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Small Things Considered by Henry Petroski
The Little Prince by Antoine de St. Exupery

Sep 9, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
NiEv

Ugh, the little prince...

Sep 9, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Marshall Berman's inspiring analysis of modernism, city-planning, poetry, literature etc. in "All that is solid melts into air" scores very high on my list - perhaps because it has inspired me to read so many other books.

Dostojevskij's Karamazov, so detailed, ambiguous and with a breadth that I haven't encountered in any other piece of literature. For religious and philosophical inspiration.

Thomas Mann's "Doctor Faustus" - as great parallell to Marshall Berman's book. Inspired me to listen more to classical music.

Robin Evan's "The projective cast" for some good old fashioned art and architecture theory. Inspirational for critical thinking.

Anything by Jorge Luis Borges. Exquisite!

Superstudio's "Twelve Cautionary Tales for Christmas" - fantastic, short and a great satire of the modernist project.

Sep 9, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
sloring

On the Road, Jack Kerouac - A personal revelation of sorts for me, helped me to really understand the freedom of my life and focus on who I am.

Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy - A beautiful tale of two people, one tragic and one epic, a great experience in love and religion.

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee - So many great life lessons, a great character study of Atticus Finch, a true man in every sense of the word.

The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand - call it archi-cliche, but reading it my first semester of college really had a profound impact on me at the time. Atlas Shrugged was her pinnacle work, but The Fountainhead opened the realm of free thought to me, something I will always relish.

a-f:
I'm in the middle of Karamazov right now, I'm really digging it so far.

Sep 9, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

The Clearing by Jens Jensen

Sep 9, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ernest

'Scientific Autobiography' from Aldo Rossi is terrific

Sep 9, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
postal

wow. another jorge louis borges fan. read his collection cover to cover and loved almost all of it. i've never thought the same. (although, it's only been a month)

Sep 9, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Frank Herbert's Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God-Emperor of Dune.

Heartless stuff. Yet a million lessons on human psychology are contained in those four books.

Sep 9, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

oh and nicole, im reading emergence right now. stephen johnson is amazing. read everything bad is good for you. also a great book by him.

Sep 9, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
zenorschnitzel

I have not been reading any high literature lately but here are a few of the things i have read in the last few months or so:
Everything is Illuminated- really a great book. It takes a little effort to get into it, but it is beautiful. The movie is good, the book is great.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Really a good book. I read it when i was 14 in school, and I decided to read it again. It was worth it. Beautiful.
God Bless Dr. Kavorkian - by Kurt Vonnegut -Very good, Very short. no reason not to.

to see the rest of the books i have been reading you can look here
http://zenorschnitzel.com/books.htm
these are only the books i have finished. I have started a bunch, and if they dont hold me, i will not finish them.
books that have not kept me some of these i am still working on - the pearl, madame bovary
ehhhh.....I dont remember, i just have them on a stack in my desk

Sep 10, 06 9:31 am  · 
 · 
zenorschnitzel

I have not been reading any high literature lately but here are a few of the things i have read in the last few months or so:
Everything is Illuminated- really a great book. It takes a little effort to get into it, but it is beautiful. The movie is good, the book is great.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Really a good book. I read it when i was 14 in school, and I decided to read it again. It was worth it. Beautiful.
God Bless Dr. Kavorkian - by Kurt Vonnegut -Very good, Very short. no reason not to.

to see the rest of the books i have been reading you can look here
http://zenorschnitzel.com/books.htm
these are only the books i have finished. I have started a bunch, and if they dont hold me, i will not finish them.
books that have not kept me some of these i am still working on - the pearl, madame bovary
ehhhh.....I dont remember, i just have them on a stack in my desk

Sep 10, 06 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I've been reading Oakley Hall's Warlock and Ernst Jünger's The Storm of Steel side by side.

I second Borges, especially "Death and The Compass."

Sep 10, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

“I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.”

Sep 10, 06 11:28 am  · 
 · 
NiEv

The Russians are very popular in this thread. I don't like Dostojewski, Tolstoi is ok, but I adore 'Oblomow' by Gontscharow.

Sep 10, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
NiEv

addictionbomb, I quote evanchakroff 'that Emergence book is pure pulp trash. in a good way.'
'Everything Bad Is Good for You' is pure pulp trash, in a bad way. Johnson could have said everything from that book in one sentence: Media has changed as society has changed to a complex world.
I was really disappointed of that book. But I read that he's publishing a new book about the cholera in London. Maybe that one is better.

Sep 10, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I agree with Nicole ... I am highly skeptical of these "gee-whiz" books about media. Steven Berlin Johnson figures highly in that list.

Sep 10, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

after hearing about Eyes Of The Skin and Thinking Architecture, from the archinect faithful, i have bought both and have been quite humbled by what i have read. almost a religious experience. douglas cooper's amnesia and delirium in the fiction, as well as Winkie the story of a teddy bear terrorist. hejduk's chronotope is one i always come back to read.

Sep 10, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

i was with you until delerium, beta. that one just pissed me off.

Sep 10, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

well, truth be told that book is one of many i have yet to finish...i think i have ADD...i hear ritalin is good for that.

Sep 10, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

"Robin Evan's "The projective cast" for some good old fashioned art and architecture theory. Inspirational for critical thinking."

good, old fashioned, inspirational...
double headed dildos, moist brothel beds, assphyxiation

Sep 11, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
ooid

s,m,l,xl
content..most of kipnis's writings are pretty informative too

Sep 11, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

speaking of russians...check out a quick read by alexandr solzhenitzyn called 'one day in the life of ivan denisovich'. great imagery and quite powerful.

Sep 11, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

tcw: My English might not be the best - feel free to write a better description.

Sep 11, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

steven..

i'm currently reading the '...of queen loana' by eco. i'm sad that
i may be disappointed by the end...ah well such is life.
i've read most of eco's books and found them all to be worthwhile
experiences for whatever that's worth.

favorites.

one of my all time favorites is east of eden by steinbeck..before
oprah liked it.

franzen is pretty good...as is david foster wallace..and i liked
middlesex too..but i feel a bit cliche in saying that.

arturo perez reverte...interesting mystery stories...the club dumas
and the flanders panel were of particular interest to me..fast
easy reads.

cider house rules by irving..read most of his books..good summer
reading but very repetitive after a while.

ross king - i loved brunelleschi's dome and was really interested in
michelangelo and the pope's ceiling..and read most of the rest of
his work..the first two are definitely worth the read if you're into
that sort of thing.

capote - before the movie and even afterwards...in cold blood was
worth making the movie alone..and his short stories are great..
'like water for chameleons' was very visually inspiring.

and i add my vote to borges

Sep 11, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
NiEv

I almost forgot 'The Consolations of Philosophy' by Alain De Botton. That book was fun. He's publishing 'The Architecture of Happiness' in a few weeks, the abstract sounds interesting.

Sep 12, 06 4:22 am  · 
 · 

larslarson, sounds like our reading tastes are, while not exactly aligned, sort of parallel.

sorry to be a spoiler on the eco. i hate doing that. i'll just say that's it's a beautifully designed book, so enjoy it for the beauty of the thing itself. (i had run out and bought a first edition when it came out, so i also love the way mine is made: nice cover, firm binding, great paper and ink.)

Sep 12, 06 7:38 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Yes!!! The Projective Cast is a truly great book. The "Comic Lines" chapter is one of my favorite pieces of writing ever.

Sep 12, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
I love archinect

AA folios, any of those, they inspire me.

Sep 12, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Paul Bowles - The Sheltering Sky, Delicate Prey, Let it come down

John Fonte - Bunker Hill

Borges - Dream Tigers

Sep 12, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan

Sep 12, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

i love mc sweeney's

they offer well crafted, well written, and interesting books. i am currently reading Issue 18

dave eggers rules.

Sep 12, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

steven,

no worries. i enjoy the book for it's interesting premise more than anything else. my main reading tastes come down to interesting stories/characters. I liked the idea of a character who has completely lost his memory and is attempting to remember who he is.

on a similar note:

motherless brooklyn by lethem sp?

and tropical night falling by puig.

and steven, i think you're far more well-read than myself, so if you have any suggestions for authors off of eco and the like let me know.

Sep 12, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
cf

ug The Little Prince, but try manifesting that reality buster.

Sep 12, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i guess i havent missed much by not reading a book in fifteen years...

Sep 12, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Brihad Aranyanka Upanishad
(circa ~~5000 B.C--somewhere in ancient India )

Invocation :-
Om. That is full; this is full. This fullness has been projected from that fullness. When this fullness merges in that fullness, all that remains is fullness.

Sep 12, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke:

That's nice to hear - I saw Robin Evans mentioned in your blog a few times, also parts from "Translations from Drawing to Building", which contains one of my favourites: "Figures, doors and passages". What I really enjoy is Evans ability to lure the reader into some fixed way of thinking only to counterprove it a few paragraphs later. It gives the text a certain tension and informality. Who would have thought it could be so entertaining to read about the layout of renaissance villas for example?

Sep 14, 06 5:45 am  · 
 · 

'how to cook everything'

Sep 14, 06 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Yeah, Robin Evans is truly great, a-f --- I also love his quick wit and sense of humor. He died so young ... a tragedy.

Sep 14, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
zirconpolyestherthylene

The Alchemist-- Paulo Coehlo

Electric Koolade Acid Test--- Tom Wolfe

Cosmicomics-- Italo Calvino

EARTHSONG ( a picture book )

Atlas Shrugged-- Ayn Raynd

and a question: to whoever reads Vonnegut: what book would you say is his most evocative?? i just read Cat's Cradle... and am still curious about it... hm..

Sep 14, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Nvee

PROPHET by Khalil Gibran
RELIGION OF MAN by Rabindranath Tagore

Apart from these, Somerset Maugham and Graham Greene as writers provide some realistic insights into the human mind. Dosteyevsky is good but dark and Orwell explains political systems beautifully.
So i must add 1984 by George Orwell.

Nevermore, which translation did you read?

Sep 15, 06 5:40 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

NIGHT by Elie Wiesel

Again, before Oprah liked it.

Sep 15, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you guys are so much cooler than oprah.

Sep 15, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Sep 15, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

reading right now: 100 years of solitude...

so far so good, book won nobel prize...

Sep 15, 06 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: