Archinect
anchor

modern sofabed?

chut

has anyone come across a nice, modern sofabed that looks good and is comfortable to sit and sleep on?

Sep 5, 06 7:51 am
4arch

I've NEVER encountered a sofabed that was comfortable for sleeping.

Sep 5, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
e

i agree bryan. i have a small home. a number of years ago my wife and i wanted to get rid of our futon that we were using as a couch. the futon was great when we had guests because it doubled as a bed. at first we looked at sofabeds. we looked at futon style sofas similar to trace's first link because the other kind are absolutely horrible to sleep on. the problem is that your choices are limited. very limited. we decided that we did not want a couch that we were not crazy about just so we could have it double as a bed. we decided to get the couch we wanted and also get a good air matress with a pillow top. our guests usually comment on it's comfort. when our parents stay with us, we give them our bed and we take the air matress because it sits on the ground. i'm glad we went this route.

Sep 5, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Air mattresses are great. I've never felt comfortable on a futon, either.

Sep 5, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
e

i agree myriam. the thing about the first link that trace offered is that those tend to be good for one person but not for two. imagine sleeping on that crack all night. ouch.

Sep 5, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Try [ulr=htto://www.natuzzi.com]Natuzzi[/url].
It comes in every style you want, every fabric you want, every material you want (foam or feather pillow) and you can decide the toughness of the seat (soft, medium or hard).
The bed size depends on the sofa of your choice, from a single bed size (90cm width), to a king bed size (200cm width).

Sep 5, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

[ulr=http://www.natuzzi.com]Natuzzi[/url].

Sep 5, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Dah!!! Can I do it?!?!?
natuzzi

Sep 5, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

funny this should come up. i've been looking for a sofa bed just in case family member/s show up. (up to two max.)
so my sister is coming next weekend and she'll stay 4 nights with us.
i pulled out nicely wrapped queen bed w/ box springs and plopped on the floor of 'tiny room with high ceilings', (name of the room). even though there hasn't much room left around the bed, it will make a super comfy bed for my sisterling and it'll remain there in otherwise under used room and serve me as a second bedroom where i can take a refuge on some nights the regular bedroom is gassed by the dog farts and when i want to take break from communal family life.
it happens.
i really slept comfortably on a full pledged sofa bed. it is best to get a large regular sofa and sleep on that.
the problem i have with 'affordable' modern furniture is, they are made from light weight material and slip out under your ass easy. other than that you have to pay the price for the hefty ones.

Sep 5, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

how about one of these:

or... for your cad work:

Sep 5, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
formwhore

i faced this problem recently and the best i found was the eames case study day bed. surprisingly reasonable price considering...

http://www.modernica.net/browseProducts.asp?CatId=1020

Sep 6, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
e

i believe that is a daybed by george nelson [1948] not the eames'.

Sep 6, 06 1:24 am  · 
 · 
formwhore

thanks for the correction... i guess i just assumed "case study" = eames, but of course, there were many others involved...

Sep 6, 06 1:32 am  · 
 · 

probably you have found your new sofa, but if not...

i finally received a sofa/daybed that i ordered about 6 months ago from
here.

pretty cheap - 700 euros.

Nov 19, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
surface
http://www.dwr.com/search.cfm?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&N=0&Ntt=twilight

I have this and it's comfy. I mean, if you sleep on it as a twin bed it's nice. If you pull it out and sleep on it as a double bed, one half of it is not so comfy. But it's ok.

Nov 19, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

susan im glad you are a myspace friend but that sofa looks like it would be torture to sit on. tell me i'm wrong!

Nov 19, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

my back hurts just look at it, but i'm almost 40 year old too.

Nov 19, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
surface

No, I like it. I sit on it most of the day. The back adjusts to varying heights.

Also, I'm probably shorter than you, which might account for my okay-ness with the sofa.

Nov 20, 06 3:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: