Archinect
anchor

Living in LA

arclem

We are thinking of moving to LA from FLA. We have a pretty sweet townhome here that we own. We will probably make 125,000 household income. Is it even possible to buy a descent place in a descent area with this kind of income. Do you LA guys own or rent? Are architects bound to rent forever in these expensive markets? Let me know what you LAer's think?

Sep 3, 06 6:21 pm
arclem

decent, sorry gang

Sep 3, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

think the question will come down to how much you can put down. which will inevitably determine your price range... i'd take a look around on websites to figure out the home prices. the LA times does a pretty good review of homes that sold about once a month... with statistics like median price. etc. broken down by neighborhood...

Sep 4, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Check out Zillow for lots of interesting stuff.

It's google maps with real-estate price medians and what not, all mashed up.

Not a plug on my part, I just know that there is some worthwhile info to be found there. YMMV.

Sep 4, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
arclem

Thanks guys

Sep 4, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Zillow is so cool.

Sep 4, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
design_junky

short answer. no.

like said, unless you can put a large down payment down, 'decent' is still too expensive. we make 145k household and refuse to pay (and can't qualify for) close to a million dollars for crap.

go here and click 'guests' to check out the current listing prices on homes/neighborhoods.

http://themls.com/

good luck!

Sep 5, 06 3:04 am  · 
 · 
mdler

LA prices are dropping...people are starting to forclose on property. If you can be paitent, you will be able to get something. At the present time, renting in the way to go

Sep 5, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: