Archinect
anchor

Michael Maltzan's Office Culture ????

raul

Has anyone worked for Michael Maltzan? What is the office culture like? i like his work, but i would like to hear from archinect people what was/is their experience/opinion.

thanks

Aug 28, 06 1:01 pm
mar_

I really like his work, especially Fresno. And they actually work with models that's a rare thing nowadays...I wouldn't mind working for this guy. I checked out his site and I really like their approach

Aug 28, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Hope you like working on weekends. They just laid off a bunch of intermediate folks to eliminate the middle ground and increase their profitability.

Aug 28, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
kinch

Its great, if you don't mind long hours. Also its important to really like Journey.

Aug 28, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I knew some people who used to work there, they certainly put in looooong hours. Good work and good people, not the best pay and be ready to put on the dust mask and cut some MDF on a shaky table saw.

Aug 28, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

long hours depending on project team - very hierarchical office structure for being so small - pay at the low end of the scale - good work...

Aug 29, 06 12:24 am  · 
 · 
oompa

who should one get in touch with at their office to make a job application. I realize this post is years old but their website makes no reference anywhere to where these should addressed to...other than the generic info@...

any advice? thanks!

Mar 6, 10 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Give 'em a call and ask...

Mar 6, 10 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
kishkash

oppressive, from what i hear. welcome to the creme de la creme of LA design offices.

Mar 6, 10 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

I've heard mostly negative things about their office culture.

Mar 6, 10 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

wow, this takes me back...good times. I wonder if they still have that shaky Ryobi table saw. The skylight in the shop is your only window to the outside world.

You've got Trader Joes right across the street, open until 9 or 10pm. And Fred 62 in Los Feliz is open 24 hours. I repeat, it's open 24 hours.

Mar 6, 10 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
oompa

ok, the message is clear then.

so if Maltzan's office is extraordinarily rough, than can anyone suggest a decent design office in LA that isn't quite as bad?

Mar 7, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
kishkash

i should have qualified what i mean by oppressive.

yes- the hours required at LA's top design offices can be both horrible and arduous, but the people you meet and the projects you work on are so wonderfully fulfilling. plus, the city's network is so tight knit that you're brought into the loop of the other interesting work happening in the area. plus there's so much crossover between the best architecture firms and the city's contemporary art scene. it's a joy to work in an environment like that, even if you're underpaid and overworked, you're still "living the dream" of sorts.

but most of my favorite firms were pretty much decimated after the credit crisis first hit, and haven't really re-staffed since, save for under/un-paid intern render/model-building slaves.

Mar 7, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
oompa

thanks for that...

and I have heard as much about finding work there. Still, I'm hoping something might come up...

Mar 7, 10 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: