Archinect
anchor

Chicago 'Burbs

Chili Davis

Where's a good place to make home in Chicago? Near the city but CHEAP and SAFE. Preferrably not a gang neighborhood.

Aug 10, 06 11:43 am
Living in Gin

I hope you don't mean to imply that anything within the city is an unsafe gang neighborhood.

There's plenty of places with within the city and in the burbs that are safe and affordable. There's also plenty of places within the city and in the burbs that are gang-ridden and unsafe. You'll have to be more specific in what you're asking for.

Aug 10, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

"There's plenty of places with within the city and in the burbs that are safe and affordable."

That's what I'm looking for. Just someplace to start my search.

Aug 10, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

Why not live in the city? Because in terms of suburbs, you've got your choice triangle of cheap, close and safe. It doesn't exist outside of the city any more than inside the city. If its someplace convienient and safe you are going to pay for it. If its cheap and safe (well, except for all the meth heads) move to North Dakota.

Really, unless you have kids, being in the city is the best place to be in Chicagoland. And if you have kids and can get them in a private / magnet school you're set. The far NW side is really beautiful and doesn't seen too much like the city for suburban sensibilities.

Plus, you get to vote as many times as you want (so long as you vote democrat)

Aug 10, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Thanks crowbert, I will look into the far NW side.

Aug 10, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Check out Jefferson Park Hood - Far NW Side.

Oak Park has some cheaper areas too.

I would suggest visiting so you can establish your safe threshold. Really, some poorer tight nit areas may be safer than wealthier ones. Its a matter of your own comfort.

Aug 10, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

all neighborhoods have somekind of gang turf. for example, chic andersonville is controlled by the latin kings.

Aug 10, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

also as cpd cracks down gangs move to the burbs ala al capone..

Aug 10, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

And talking safe - you can be on a good street in a rough neighborhood and be perfectly fine, as well as a bad street on an otherwise good neighborhood. I've lived on both sides of that coin, and I'd much rather live on a good street than the other way around.

Vado's right - the CPD is much better at fighting gangs, and violence is down unless you are in an area where there is a gang dispute over territory. Plus, if you're friendy with the alderman you get that squeaky wheel treatment.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

Aug 10, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hell two people got murdered down the street from my place just the other night. in a running gun battle no less...

Aug 10, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Were they arguing conservatism versus modernism?

Aug 10, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
A

At least in Chicago they aren't having Sword Fights in the streets.

Aug 10, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

I live on Roger's Park, on Lunt. It's safe and relatibly cheap.

Aug 10, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

cuervo has a point - being close to the lake and red line has its pluses. That Granville, Rogers Park area by Loyola is good deal and safe.

Aug 10, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Chicago, overall, I believe to be an incredibly safe place if you know where you are. If you're a dopey looking caucasion, dont wonder to deep into the cabrini-green, certain bronzeville areas, etc. Don't talk on your cell phone and ignore your surroundings. For the most part, muggings are done by middle schoolers. You see 3 or 4 kids trying to act tough, be alert, don't get caught off guard. My buddy got sucker punched right in his face, and jumped all while he was talking on his cell phone. (Near campus no less!) However, other than that, I've grown up in the NW Suburbs of Chicago (45 min drive when I was born, 1 1/2 hour drive now) Couldn't stand the suburban life and it's only gotten worse with an explosion of home depots and barnes & nobles, costco, AMC 30's etc. All while lacking any decent cultural events. So, first, where are you working and how are you getting there is probably one of the more crucial factors in your location. Look at the CTA map. NW leg of the Blue Line and N leg of the Red line are the best bets and most popular. Look at the Metra maps. These go further out to the burbs. I'm not too familiar with alot of these neighborhoods, but most aren't bad. Maybe just stay away from Joliet, Harvey, and some of the other more notoriusly old and white flight neighborhoods. If you are going to be coming home late (assuming you'll be working downtown) or going downtown a lot, stick close to the CTA.

So, the two neighborhoods that I can speak at length about are Bridgeport where I lived during schooling and now Portage Park. Although I would have prefered to stay in Bridgeport (half the commute, younger, more diverse, more families, starting to come up, cheaper) my girlfriend forced me to move NW as she commutes all the way out to Crystal Lake! Portage Park has old people, half the bars, more burby feel, a strange high school goth population. But it's reasonably close to Logan Square and Wicker Park/Bucktown. Which is where we go "out" if not downtown or ChiSox games.

But as someone said, the best thing to do (did someone say this) is to come and drive/walk the neighborhoods. If you're planning on living the "city" life, drive to a neighborhood for breakfast, walk around, eat lunch there, walk around, and eat dinner there, walk around and go to a bar or two, concentrating on public transit hot spots. If a)you can't find a decent looking place that's open or b) all you can find are franchises...try somewhere else. If you're planning on living out in the suburbs, then look at schools, property values, etc.

all the gangs have moved out to suburban high schools, but there's no real "wars" going on. It's really quite ridiculous when my girlfriend tells me these stories from Crystal Lake. You should have no problem with city schools if you pick the one you like. Better yet, send them to a magnet or prep school and it will have more credibility than Podunk Public HS, maybe give your kid a shot at Ivy. (Not that you can't in PPHS, but...)

Anyway, my two cents... happy hunting. ah, lunch hour well spent?

Aug 10, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my good friend lives in rogers park on jasper. he has been broken into four times and some adolescents set the door of his apartment on fire with some lighter fluid. i lived on lakewood and never had a problem. although many of my friends who live in rogers park have been held up at gunpoint.

Aug 10, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
archidose
Lincoln Square's

great and not as expensive as the other Lincoln, Lincoln Park.

Aug 11, 06 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lincoln square used to be a kraut neighborhood. i love cafe selmarie.

Aug 11, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

louis sullivan in lincoln square...

Aug 11, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

shhh... nobody wants to live in lincoln square! forget about it. crappy neighborhood!!!

Aug 11, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

and the unemployment office is just up the street!

Aug 12, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
Katze

No worries, if you chose a bad neighborhood, hire Vado's samurai kittens and the pizza cats for protection.

Aug 12, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
ScottMSchultz

i live in jefferson park. it is completely safe. just dont be a dumbass and be aware like said before and you will survive pretty much anywhere...

Aug 12, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: