Archinect
anchor

Demand for masonry designer?

This is going to sound a little bizarre... but I have a huge fetish for designing brick facades. Almost an uncontrollable, throbbing desire to go get a M.Arch purely for the joy of being able to design brickwork for a living.

You might say I'm a lateriphile.

But, how often is elaborate brickwork actually used in architectural projects? And does anyone know of any architecture firms, historic or not, that specialize in brickwork?

Or is this just another pursuit of a dying trade?

Mar 23, 12 1:02 pm
x-jla

Me too.  I would look into masonry companies rather than arch firms.  Many clients that want that kind of thing go straight to the source and skip the architect.  Usually for small landscape projects, renovations, fireplaces, etc.  Try to get some freelance work.  Post ads for masonry design, and hook up with a good masonry company as a contract employee.  Can't hurt to try.  Dying trade?  I don't think so.  There is a market for everything. 

Mar 23, 12 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: