Archinect
anchor

Small freelance job confusion

nruins

Long time lurker, first time poster.....

The scenario is this: a friend of mine is currently looking to build a small medical office for his practice (5,000 sf at most). He would like me, an architectural intern, to draw up the schematic design package and then provide those drawings to a licensed Architect to continue the design process from DD to CD's.

First off, is there anything awry with this process? I am aware of plan stamping and believe this is not in that realm as there is still plenty of drawing to do after SD. He, the client, is just wanting to give me a shot at the design essentially and I would be acting as a drafter/designer.

Secondly, I know I need to write up a contract and proposal for this scope of work but am not sure how that will bleed into the client's contract with the architect doing all of the post SD drawings. Are there any suggestions for this part of the process since the contract would only include schematic design drawings?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Mar 20, 12 8:02 pm

nruins - you're probably going to get rained down on plenty for being non-licensed and doing a project that would require an architect to do. and get ripped for doing sd and just passing it on. i'll spare you that count. 

two things stand out for me: #1 (and most importantly) - do you know anything about medical office buildings? they're not the most complicated but certainly have design issues that would likely trip up someone who hasn't done one, double for most interns i've met. my point being - you're not doing your friend any favors by designing something you don't really know about. you could be leading them down some dead ends or more expensive changes by your lack of knowledge. in the end, it's hurting your rep and that's about all you have in this game.

#2 - why couldn't you bring this into an office and work with them on it? you'd benefit from more experienced eyes working with you on it and you could negotiate some credit/fee/control however you're capable. 

just off the top....

Mar 20, 12 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
nruins

Gregory Walker - Fair enough answer. This is all purely hypothetical as I sort of shrugged the offer from my friend off and haven't brought it back up again as I was weary with the whole idea. So anyhow, I don't want to get flamed for a situational prospect, although I will say that the lack of enthusiasm for entrepreneurship in our profession is disappointing to say the least.

And to your second point, I don't want to bring it into the office because of a) high overhead costs and, b) a micromanaging, over controlling boss that won't allow any design input.

Mar 20, 12 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

I don't see anything wrong with you coming up with some conceptual design and having a licensed office taking it from there. You can work alongside the client/friend to make sure that the "design" is something for which they are seeking. Architectural design consultants do this all the time. They "design" it, the client approves it, then an office is contracted to ensure the integrity of the design. 

Chances are that the design will be tweaked according to code, which is where the issues that Gregory brought up will come into full swing. As he mentioned, the best thing would be to work alongside your friend/client, and your office under the stipulation that you were given the project to design. You could bring it up to your boss, and mention that your friend/client wants your design input, otherwise they'll find another firm to do the work.

A job is a job, and if an architect wants to make some money, they should oblige to the conditions of the project. One of which is for you to have design input and not just be a CAD jockey. 

The thing that I would be most concerned about if you're unwilling to bring it into your home office due to the high overhead, over controlling boss is this: Are you prohibited to do freelance work under your current contract? If so, I'd pass on it. 

Best thing to do, in my opinion is to bring it up to your boss. Let him know that your friend/client in interested in you working on the design of his new facility. If your boss is all about it, let him know that your involvement with the design will be expected. Worst case scenario is your boss would dismiss the idea and you can go on about your time. 

You're right, there is a stigma regarding entrepreneurship. People are scared to stick up for themselves; veterans aren't ready to hand over the torch. Yet, there's nothing wrong with being ambitious and motivated to do work. If you want to do this, go for it!

Mar 20, 12 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

If you Boss doesn't go for it, you have to ask your self the hard question:  WHY?

Could it be your friend is a dead beat...cheaping out by wanting to hire and intern to do the schematic design. Could it be that the project is beyond the capabilites of  the office. Could it be there is no way the financials will work on the project. If it is none of the above, pack your bags and find a place where you will be appreciated.

Mar 21, 12 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: