Archinect
anchor

Xefirotarch- SFMoMA

MADianito

FDB freakin paisanos, we are all over..... u know Alexis Rochas?? collaborator and paisano of HDA in the P.S.1 thing???, got him as a tutor long ago...

Jul 30, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 

toward cynics comment: i didn't really 'get' xefirotarch as long as i thought about it as architecture from the point of view of an architect.

in wired every month there is an illustration, unexplained, that is somehow supposed to (i think) be a talisman of the state of things. an illustration of a space from one of xefirotarch's models was in a recent issue. i realized that it was a really cool illustration of a complex spatial condition and that this was a good thing. whether they build or not seems irrelevant - maybe. whether it has any larger meaning or intention also seems less than impt.

i like it...and i would have liked to see their/his winning park solution for lexington ky get built...but i do think there is a short shelf-life for things as content-free as their work. coolness fades.

Jul 30, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

"Just say it is what it is and I'll be happy."

Trace, that line is *seriously* funny to anyone who know's Hernan. Not sure if that was intentional, which makes it even funnier.......

.mm

Jul 30, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

steven ward,

i completely agree....hopefully he will be able to evolve.

Jul 30, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
tylerdurden

God... can't believe this thread is still harping about Affect, Effect and Technique. These 3 pervasive terms is all Jeff Kipnis': 15 bloody years ago!! Only thing the 2nd generation blobers are contributing is better spline controls and better renderings... i.e HDA, Ali Rahim etc... CONTENT = 0, FORMAL INVENTION = 0

Therefore Archinecters.. read more!

Jul 31, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
cyborg

First, Noci, if you look at an HDA project, you can't possibly argue that it's void of meaning. That would be absurd. Do you long to be told what you should think about a project? If so, don't you know you're just being fed a line of crap? Eisenman says it best, "The value of a project isn't evaluated in terms of it's meaning, it's simply good if it's good and it sucks if it sucks. You know it when you see it." Meaning in architecture is something to entertain the person who makes it. Just because someone tries to make a case for meaning sure as hell doesn't make it valid.

As for .mm's comments: Yeah, these guys have no idea how hilarious their comments are. It's like they want to hate the Big H, but in the end he's everything they've ever wanted in an architect. So sweet.

Jul 31, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
noci

well, sure, i've heard the "this means that" sloganizing many times before and agree with you that a project isn't good or bad depending on the way it is marketed. and no, the stuff we were talking about surely isn't content-free as in "vacuum", but sticks to a set of different ethics that some people, including myself, don't agree with.
but we've beaten that topic to death, i guess.

Jul 31, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
tnarch

tylerburden

once again you've made a very good point. however, why do you suppose there's a "second" generation? it's striking how architectural history is continuous but never theory and practice.

Jul 31, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

bumping this.

Hernan is speaking at the Art Institute tonight in Chicago.

Convince me to spend $5 to hear him speak.

Saw the xefirotarch exhibit at said institution and nobody seemed to get it. I was talking to the guard of the exhibition and she was like, "yeah, most people speed through here pretty fast." When I asked her what she thought of the models, "Well, I don't know if its tough enough for these Chicago weather, you know, and anyways, where would I hang my curtains?" Didn't seem like she was totally disgusted by the idea of those spaces, just that she wouldn't want to live there.

Nov 20, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

it's worth $5 to see the pretty pictures he makes.

Nov 20, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
here
Nov 20, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

I'm glad this got bumped, this was a pretty good thread. Put me down in the 'I like Hernan' side of things.

Nov 20, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

I've seen the pictures and the models, but is this just a "let's go see the new archistar!" or does he have anything profound to say? Is he on the lecture circuit because he has academic clout, or are his blobs any more engaging and innovating than whats been done before?

Nov 20, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

must be nice being able to live off the residuals from the Spider Man movies...

Nov 20, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

whoa.. easy, mdler. last i checked your posting projects of someone else, whom you worked on and giving credit to yourself as author.

no need to be jealous of someone whose clearly staked out an original territory for themselves, regardless of the current shortcommings of the work.

Nov 21, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

... well ths was a good thread, anyway ...

Nov 21, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: