Archinect
anchor

windows vista hits market

michellemarie

i've been itching to get a new computer, but, knowing vista is on its way, it might be smart to wait out for the new os. does anyone know much about the new vista.... and whether it is worth waiting for?

Jul 24, 06 11:38 am
Kardiogramm

it will be out next year if they don't delay it even further. it's going to be missing a lot of the features that were promised. you might as well get xp and add a vista skin since that is all it is... basically a rip off of OS X. you can still do everything in xp, you just want to make sure you get a top of the line pc so you can upgrade at some point when the dust settles.

Jul 24, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Your title had me scrambling for news on Vista hitting the market, which would affect my elaborate upgrade/laptop purchase planning. Thanks a lot! Now I have to round that minute up to 30 and bill it to my project.

Jul 24, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

never upgrade to a new OS as soon as it's released. 6 months - one year minimum, and then only if there's a feature you need/want.

Jul 24, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup. What mm says. I am still happy with W2K on one machine.

I will have to say, though, that I do like the way Vista looks (sure, it may rip off OS X a little, but it looks a TON better - aesthetically speaking).

Personally, I am a little skeptical of it benefiting my biz. The fact that it's so graphic intensive worries me, as I want all available graphics resources going to the 3D programs or others. So I hope it doens't come down to running it in 'Classic' mode, as I run XP.

Jul 24, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

the laptop i bought 2 months ago is vista ready, whatever that means.

i shut off almost all of the options in windows xp so my software runs faster, and am much more impressed that the laptop has a duo, cuz the rendering speed just got cut down significantly. if vista don't affect my work at that level i probs won't upgrade for awhile.

Jul 25, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Implimenting an OS immediately after its release date can be a costly mistake. Windows ME was replaced after about 6 months in the US market because it was a huge failure. With the popularity of XP and the few problems reported, I would definately suggest you go with XP for the time being. If you decide, after Vista has been proven, you can easily upgrade your OS.

Jul 26, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I need a new laptop for grad school. I haven't decided on macbook pro *dream* or a pc. Anyway, besides the fact that Penn doesn't support Vista, I simply do not want the new windows.

how do I get XP? All the new computers are advertised with Vista. Can you order it with XP...or is XP gone for good. Do I have to get a Vista system and then find and install the old XP?

Anyone encounter this dillema yet?

Jun 20, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

haven't encoutered that particular dilemma. i'm still an xp/osx man, but have you seen this?

apparently, Google busted microsoft because vista inhibits performance of third party software, in this case google desktop.

didn't we deal with this on Internet Explorer already? wtf?

why don't they get in more trouble for BLATANT anti-trust violations?

Jun 20, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my friend who works at microsoft says it is shit

Jun 20, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i also have a friend who works for microsoft. he won't speak clearly about what's wrong with it...but last i checked, he was still an xp user.

he's an offsite programmer who works in .net, so he had nothing to do with the OS, from what i understand!

Jun 20, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I realize it is crap...and I really don't want it....but the big deal is that it isn't compatible with Penn's network and so I can not have it. So, how do I get a new computer with an old OS.

I upgraded an OS once in my life (from 98 to ME) and it was a nightmare. The system never worked well after that. Now I am worried I will get a brand new computer and eff it up trying to install an old OS. :(

Jun 20, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Orphan

buy the XP pro and install the OS, for the love of your computer format and do a clean install (i had to do this with my notebook) because Vista is the worst crap that Microsoft's could ever put on the market ( a wanna be Apple with it's new Leopard OS) just do your self a favor and you will be making a contribution to humanity.

Peace./

Jun 20, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hmmm....ok, thanks rico. is this something I can do myself....or should I leave it to a pro?

Jun 20, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I bet you could easily find several blogs explaining how to do it. And if you go Mac then Bootcamp has there own lengthy instructions on how to do it.....if you want to run Bootcamp that is...

Jun 20, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

thanks cp....yeah, that's the next decision. to mac or not to mac...that is the question. I want one, but don't want to spend the money- c'est levé

Jun 20, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

well i'm sure you know where i stand on that one......
just go with whatever you think is gonna be the best tool for the next three years

Jun 20, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

it's just soooo much money.

Jun 20, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
w3

Is it really that much more? Once you get a PC that can handle 3d modeling, etc.. , you're right up there w/ a new Mac.

Jun 20, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

w3 is right. Compare any PC on just straight components and the PC will cost you the same and probably even more. Besides that though, no matter what you get you are gonna be dropping some cash so get something you actually want.

Jun 20, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

yeah...it's about $1k more than the "comparable" dell that Penn is offering. I am going to go play at the mac store this weekend- to see how much I love it.

Jun 20, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Vista will be good, over time. Right now there are too many incompatibility issues with drivers and such.

Get XP Pro 64 bit and Max 64 bit with tons of ram. Huge difference.

Jun 20, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
Good luck Vista users!
Jun 20, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Question for you pc to Mac crossovers:

Back in the day, Mac peripherals + software were Mac specific and crossover to a pc was a bitch.... is this still the case? With the dual OS Mac book pro, is it a problem using any of my pc stuff (software, printers, scanner, etc.) or is it just plug and play as it is on a pc? I just can't imagine the added expense of updating all that stuff along with a new computer. Excuse my naivety...it has been at least a decade since I’ve really used a Mac and I know it has changed enormously.

I am actually using a G5 to type this (I am house sitting) and it is really fun! The icons kind of bounce and fly around the screen. I know it is stupid but the thing I loved the most about the Mac book pro was how the virtual screen rotated when you switch from Mac to pc.

Man, I’m a marketers dream. Make it fun and shiny and you're sure to grab my attention. I think all you Mac lovers are starting to convince me...

if it only had a control button.

Jun 21, 07 2:24 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

The Mac runs XP natively if you use Boot Camp so it should work the same as it does on any PC. And it has a control button........

Jun 21, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
w3

cpnorris - so have you decided to run bootcamp instead of parrallels?

Jun 21, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
KEG

thanks cp...it does have a control button? oooh.

now I have to read up on this parallels/ bootcamp lingo that I don't get.

Jun 21, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
dddlll

I know Penn said no to windows vista. Is it really that bad? Vista doesn't work with what...? Any experts here?

Jun 22, 07 1:24 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Dddlll – in your situation, most of the larger institutions or corporations will adapt the technology later in its lifecycle. It's not that Penn isn't hip to adapt to the latest and greatest thing, but they have to validate that the technology is mature enough to integrate it into a large organizational infrastructure. If Penn uses Windows based OS, you will probably see it integrated in 2008, maybe as late as 2009. Currently, Vista has many issues, e.g. hardware requirements, security technology, licensing and cost issues just to name a few, which may be hindering Penn from moving forward with the acquisition.

Jun 22, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 
dddlll

knowledge! thanks a lot.

Jun 22, 07 3:25 am  · 
 · 
KEG

So, I've playing around with vista on a new computer at the office and I absolutely hate it. They changed too much stuff- the upgrades should be intuitive and it's just taking too long to find everything. Even the menu bars/format of office programs is drastically different.

Anyway, this just proves to me that I have to get XP on whatever new computer I decide to get. Now, how am I going to pick a computer? ahhh

just thought I'd share.

Jul 6, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: