Archinect
anchor

How Many Awards Keep the Doors Open?

wurdan freo

I would be interested to hear what's your break even point.  I understand the dollars may vary depending on the type of job, but generally speaking, how many jobs do you need to win on a yearly basis to keep the doors open?  Specifically looking for input from 1-2 man firms, but would be interested to hear from all if you are willing to share.

Apr 25, 11 6:20 pm
Rusty!

at least one.

Apr 25, 11 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

one project seems a safe minimum ;-)

we are a small office.  to be honest we put all our money back into the office so break even is always elusive.  it's a bit of a circle.  hire more people so we can take on more work, pursue other projects, get the projects, pay the staff, get ahead a wee bit but then realise we need to build more capacity and hire more staff which means we need more work....

my old office needed 30 million dollars of projects/ year to break even.  we don't need quite that much, but i can foresee a day when that come, if all goes well. 

just for reference, one school in the area i was working in usually had a budget of 30million.  so if we got a school project we could expect a nice bonus.  if we didn't then...not so much.  also just fyi, we usually got one school project every 2 years on average.

Apr 25, 11 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

My rule of thumb is that I should be billing $100K per professional per year to come out ahead.  We usually have a principal, 3-4 staff/interns and a part time admin., so the revenue goal is $500K.  Of course it goes easier if that is earned on a big project or two rather than a lot of small ones, but these days one can't be picky.

Apr 26, 11 12:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: