Archinect
anchor

when did you master?

Archilearner

I am wondering when you guys become skillful at AutoCAD, 3DMax and other softwares?
Like when you were at undergrad school or grad school?
Did you learn it as one of the courses you took at school?
Did you learn it on your own in druing your free time with a manual guide and online free tutorials?

What's the best one to learn them?
Thanks!

Jul 15, 06 8:21 am
matteo

I'm not skillfull at all.
Even if I have a wide knowledge of autocad and 3d max, I'm still learning to use them. I always tend to use the same commands to achieve the result i wanted to achieve, but my path is not necessary the best or the fastest one. Everyone has his own way of using these softwares, none is the right one and none is the wrong one, they are just different way to achieve the same result.

Jul 15, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
IADR

you'll always learn something new everytime you use any of those stated programmes.
I persoanlly think the best way to approach design orientated software is to know what you want the overall outcome to look like and use the resources you have at hand (internet, books etc) to get the result.

Jul 15, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

The best way to really master any of them is to use them in a professional setting, on real projects with specific requirements and deadlines.

But being familiar with at least some type of CAD is pretty much a prerequisite for the vast majority of entry-level jobs these days, so taking at least one class, or at least following through some kind of book or in-depth tutorial is advisable.

I took a couple CAD classes as an undergrad. There was a 3D class that was mandatory, and most people also took basic AutoCAD as an elective. Beyond that I didn't want to spend any more elective credits on software courses, so I didn't take any more in college or grad school, though I often used whatever software the schools had to produce work for my studio projects.
In the long run the strategy of not using academic credits on more than the basics of software worked out well for me, because every firm I worked in has used some different combination of software - so there's no way I could have learned it all in school anyway. Also, software changes so quickly (and school last so long if you pursue multiple degrees) that you can't keep up with it all if you're not using it everyday anyway.

Most firms expect new grads to have at least a little bit of CAD skill. Firms that use AutoCAD in particular often want people who have specifically trained in AutoCAD. Firms that don't use AutoCAD usually expect to have to train new hires in their software.

Jul 15, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I am the master of my domain !!!

Jul 16, 06 8:16 am  · 
 · 

king of the castle !

Jul 18, 06 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

Hmm, no one seems to really answer the question. So i'll be first!

Studying back in Sweden, where computer proficiency is not as up-to-date and valued as in the states (in terms of arch-schools), we had a mandatory class in ArchiCAD the first year, and a basic AutoCAD the second. ArchiCAD I have all forgotten by now, but I guess it would be easy enough to pick up again. AutoCAD I already knew by the time the class came around, but that is really a program that one tends to learn linearly... Always a new command behind the corner!

During my third year I started doing 3D stuff in AutoCAD, which in retrospect seems like a very stupid thing..

I didn't really start to get into more advanced programs until I went to the states for an exchange semester. Then I took a class in 3Dstudio, did some animation and stuff. But mailny I learned Rhino and some Macromedia stuff, simply because the software was available and professors requiered it.

Professionally, it is mostly CAD and Sketchup. Sketchup I learned when I needed it, and CAD as I said is a never ending learning process that doesn't really seem to slow down. :)

My biggest tip is to use tutorials when you start learning a program, it really helps speed up the process. Secondly, never underestimate the helpfile!!! Whenever you don't know how to do something, don't work around it, hit F1!

Jul 18, 06 5:10 am  · 
 · 
bigness

mainly postgrad, still learning day by day. you'll find that as you go further, you meet people that have specialized in certain areas of huge programs like max, they'll give you hints and you'll go on from there. i'm a firm believer in non-specialization, you should know something of everything.

you learn max inside out, and GC comes along. you learn gc, and catia hits you in the face...maybe my brain is just limited.

Jul 18, 06 5:19 am  · 
 · 
dia

I learnt Max before Autocad - 3 years before I graduated. I learnt Rhino 2 years before I graduated. I learned CATIA 1 year before I graduated. I learnt Autocad just after I graduated and after I got my first commission. At the same time, I taught myself how to set up drawings off a set I found in the trash of the apartment building I was living in.

I was told by a very learned friend - 2 years ahead of me - who suggestd I forget CAD unless I wanted to be a cad monkey.

Lesson to the unlearned: if you make yourself too useful, you'll get used.

Jul 18, 06 6:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

diabase! I've missed you. And here you are with a variation on one of my favorite sayings: Don't get too good at doing something you don't like to do, because you'll just end up doing it.

Jul 18, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Jul 18, 06 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: