Archinect
anchor

denver? non-touristy architectural gems

tee

next week i'm on a trip to denverland - are there any "hidden gems" in the denver area worth taking a look at? i want to see the good stuff that's not necessarily splashed in the journals. THANKS in advance!!!

Jul 12, 06 10:26 pm
Nell Lime

there's an interesting house on 70 heading into the mountians... It's up on a clift in Evergreen on the left hand side of the road, built in the 60s or so from what I've heard from my dad who grew up there. It's on the left before you see the continental divide.

Jul 13, 06 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

is this the one you mean:

it's the sleeper house architected by Charles Deaton. . . so called because it was used in the 1973 woody allen film "sleeper" (worth watching).

If you get to Boulder, go up flagstaff, there are some small little ditties worth looking at.

If you like michael graves . . . shudddder . . . denver public library . . . shudderrrrr.

Check out this website for a good preview of what you can find . . . it is the Electronic Library for Colorado Architecture, Landscape, and Planning. Be aware that the search by city link does not seem to be working, so search by county, and look up Denver County. A lot to look at there, and might give you some ideas of what to visit. Good luck, enjoy denver . . . I would recommend you eat at Taco De Mexico off of Santa Fe. Ave. Kind of the up and coming, in-the-process-of-being-gentrified area of town with lots of little art galleries. Good scene if there on the first fridays of the month.

Jul 13, 06 4:56 am  · 
 · 
trace™

The only buildilng I can think of worth going out of your way for is Libeskind's museum. There are a few other nice things here and there, but not worth driving around for. The loft I live in is the nicest I've seen (although there are some nice ones in the $1mill+ going up).

Honestly, I think the Crate and Barrel in Cherry Creek is far better than most buildings.

Most of the charm of Denver is more pedestrian oriented. Check out the REI downtown. It sits on the river (or large stream) and they did a wonderful job integrating all kinds of things. Skip Starbucks and walk up the street to Paris on the Platte - great coffee and unique atmosphere.

We'll have a few nice buildings in the not to distant future, but right now the most exciting thing is lofts (and most look alike - not too bad, but certainly not great).

Danny's Museum is the awe inspiring piece.

Jul 13, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

trace, true indeed. There are some urban attempts in denver, mostly with the inspiration from city beautiful, through I would not really call Denver urban. Some walks will yield the gems you desire. Again, Santa Fe Area and places off of Speer Blvd might have something to see.

Oh, please, if you find yourself near Pete's Kitchen, order the Gyros Breakfast Sandwich (and don't let the breakfast fool you, it can be had at any time of day or night). Oh how I miss the eateries in denver . . .

Jul 13, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
rootseven

thom:
i don't know how much time you have...but if you have @ least a extra day to spare try dropping in aspen. there are some nice little projects up there. (& i'm not talking about the monster houses)...there are a couple hotties. i just found them recently.

trace/luis:

i have probably missed this topic before...where are you guys working in den? good call on Pete's Kit...

Jul 13, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
tee

that's great - thanks so much people!!! i have a weekend to kick around the denver area...one day for architecture and one enjoying the outdoors - trail riding anybody?!?

Jul 13, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
rootseven

yea dood.
what days are you free to hit it?

Jul 13, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

skip the downtown public library, unless you want to barf

the 16th street mall is the best ped mall in the world IMO, good for people watching

drive the full length (or a good chunk), of Colfax for the novelty of the longest, baddest, avenue in the country, stop at a head shop to look at the pretty glass

and then there is the cash register building:

Jul 13, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
tee

love the 'cash register' building...i'm hoping that is a joke.

then again, i've seen too many real 'architectural jokes' - which make me smile...then laugh...then feel really bad.

rootseven: i'll be in denver on the weekend of the 22nd - just need to rent a bike and ride some trails. i hear it's good stuff out there!

Jul 13, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Louisville, CO for very good Italian food
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=italian+restaurant&near=Louisville,+CO&radius=0.0&latlng=39977778,-105131389,18171942957331670075&sa=X&oi=local&ct=result&cd=2

Park in Chautauqua in Boulder eat lunch and hike some trails.
http://www.chautauqua.com/
Shake hands with the king of the hippies on the Hill in Boulder, U.C.
There is a speed trap on the road behind Flagstaff Mtn.

Jul 13, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

Danny is also doing a nice condo bldg. next to the museum...IMO it looks more interesting than the museum.

My firm just finished a campus housing project (CU-Denver) over by Mile High...pretty cool design...surrounded by freeways

Also, someone mentioned the space next to the REI...very cool! Confluence Park....kayaking there, babes hanging out...

Jul 13, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

red rocks park and amphitheater.
crosby, stills, nash and young are playing there next week.

Jul 13, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
tee

thanks again everyone - for serious.
i'll post afterwards about how much i love/hate it all - haha.

(btw: how vibrant/sad is the architecture/design community in denver?)

Jul 14, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: