Archinect
anchor

Getting Registered

architecte

I am a MArch recent graduate and have been working in a firm for a while.  I have been going through the ARE exams ambitiously and am trying to finish them in a year.  Preparing for the series of exams can be quite stressful especially when I am working full-time.  I am questioning myself if there is really a need for me to rush through this whole process.  I doubt I will be running my own practice in the near future.  Even if I am fortunate enough to get registered in a year, I will still be working as a junior in the firm, so I do not think that my licence will make a whole lot of difference.  I am wondering what others think about the value of a junior licensed architect?   I personally think that it takes time to build up professional experience and real experience counts more than a licence.  I know quite a lot of people in senior positions are unlicensed and have no interest in becoming an architect.  Do firms see a registered professional differently?

I am not trying to be discouraged here although am leaning towards slowing down my pace with the ARE.  Other than letting the exams take over my life, I could have done other things to become a more well-rounded person.   

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mar 12, 12 7:06 pm
BrianYamagata

I'm in the same boat as you, and I say go for it and get it done!!! Some people will argue that it doesn't matter, or that it's a waste of time. I think getting registered, no matter the outcome, is an achievement that is definitely worth your time and efforts. If you intend to practice independently, or start your own office (as I intend to) then having a license will surely be beneficial to your career. 

As for a Junior licensed architect, I'm sure that most will argue that your "value" won't be substantially greater than it is now. However, I've talked to many "architects" (unlicensed veterans) that have either mentioned that they wish they had time to take the exams, or that give off a sense of defeat for not having licensure. Since you're still young, just finish off the ARE's. That way there's less chance of getting bottle-necked later on. 

Regardless of your decision, good luck with your future endeavors!

Mar 12, 12 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
file

Get through the process as quickly as you can ... you'll be glad you did. Once it's done, you'll never have to worry about it again.

Mar 12, 12 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
architecte

Thanks for your encouragement!  I have never thought about giving up registration.  ARE has set a 5-year time frame for all 7 divisions to be completed, so I doubt I will drag on for too long.  Instead of pushing myself to finish one exam every other month, I am just thinking of giving myself a bit more time so I could live a more balanced life.  

I will become an architect eventually, a junior licensed architect or an intermediate licensed architect :)

Mar 12, 12 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
blah

If I passed 9 ARE exams Oct 20th through April 12, then anything is possible! (And pigs can fly! And they did!) They are not difficult if you study and work hard. It's like training for  a race. A focused hour a day and anything is possible!

Alright, I have used my quota of exclamation marks for the rest of the month...

Good luck.

Mar 12, 12 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
architecte

Would getting registered at a young age give one a better prospect at a firm?

Mar 18, 12 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
stone

"Would getting registered at a young age give one a better prospect at a firm?" I would say 'yes' - particularly given the large number of recent grads who seem indifferent to licensure - it will demonstrate ambition, drive and commitment. Go for it. At a minimum it will give you a higher degree of flexibility and independence.

Mar 18, 12 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: