Archinect
anchor

kool-serpentine / kool-gallery

MADianito

now watching at the whole thing almost fully built i wonder what's the temperature like inside the pavillion, cause of the balloon, cause of all this polycarbonated sheets... just curious, i cannot go to London this summer but trust someone will comment on it...Ludwig maybe?

Jul 6, 06 2:08 pm
Becker

how long is it open for? i will be in london in November/December, will it be open then?

Jul 6, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
atowle

its open till november . . . not sure of exact dates

november, incidentally being the longest period a 'temporary' pavillion has been used for at the serpentine. Oscar, Ito and co all only had to make thiers last till the end of the hot (ish) weather of the summer.

RK has overcome this, at least on paper, by making the balloon drop from its usual 4metre height in the hot weather to a lower height actually plugging the gap in the polycarbonate collar during poorer weather periods . . . probably more often than not in the England.

Jul 7, 06 8:42 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

i was there yesterday for the opening, quite by accident actually. a friend suggested we drop by to see how the construction was coming along. we didn't realise it was done and a party was on. i'm sorry i don't have photos to post, i wasn't carrying my camera.

well, to be honest, i was slightly underwhelmed by the whole thing. i mean, how excited can one be with an acrylic/polycarb cylinder with a big white baloon hanging over it? to answer MAD's question, there's a 1 foot gap between the pavilion and the baloon, so the room stays pretty ventilated. there was a nice breeze blowing through the whole time i was there.

the finishing was strictly ok, depending on what your personal standards are. mine aren't particularly high, so i wasn't all too bothered by seeing steel channels holding the polycarb sheets all out of line with one another...

to my mind, ito's was still the best pavilion of them all. this one is probably the most hyped.

Jul 7, 06 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Becker

cheers atowle.

I hear that they sell the pavilion after its term to cover the cost? appartently 700,000 pounds. who buys it????

laugh if some rich dude was hoarding them all... using them as garages for his cars. haha

Jul 7, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah mmmhhh we where able to see ito's pavillion somewhere around london in some ludwig's (if i dont remember wrong) images couple of years/months ago

Jul 8, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Hi
I wonder what use architecture will profit from this little material performing such huge volume without the strength and in particular Weight that today's architecture perform ,I doubt how many real houses will be the response also the concept have been the issue before just another reinvent, why havn't architecture progressed the point where each new style is just a revisited trend, no structure no strength even just that would be most expected. And Yes I Hate surreal Hippie arts galleries fact, they harbour Pirats and thives, they themself fail etics.
Gee was the previous realy that good ? --- an insult upon any serious artists robbing and thiving guess where that end.

Jul 8, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: