Archinect
anchor

Living in LA

moratto

I think I might be moving to LA, where should I be looking to live and where should I stay away from? The potential job is in west LA near Beverly Hills. Can I live there without a vehicle? How is the public transportation out there? Are the people as superficial as TV makes them out to be? What is the scene like? Are these enough questions to handle?

Jul 6, 06 12:09 pm
A Center for Ants?

you CAN live in LA w/o a vehicle but the difference between having one and not will significantly affect how you move about. also, your job may count on having a vehicle. make sure you clear that up.

public transportation is mostly bus with minimal subway. it's not inefficient, but LA is a much larger city than most metropolitcan areas.

people are superficial everywhere. the ones in LA just are mostly in the entertainment industry which can make them more annoying. some people hate LA. i sorta like it. and the food is killer.

Jul 6, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

You CAN live there without a vehicle, but it will take some serious effort.

What sort of budget are you on, and are you living alone or bringing a significant other and/or family? Budget areas to look into would be neighborhoods like Culver City or Palms. If you can afford something more than that, Century City and Westwood are near Beverly and have enough shops and restaurants to keep a non-car-owner entertained within the immediate area. The Wilshire/La Brea area or West Hollywood can also be fun. I'd toss West Ho in with the cheap neighborhoods and Wilshire a step up.

As for scene, there are about a million different scenes here, so it's a matter of finding the one that suits you.... Hmmm, the people. The people are mostly transplants, in my experience. Few people consider LA their lifelong home, and I think that may be what keeps things on a superficial level for many, that they aren't 100% invested in being here.

Jul 6, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

unless you live/work in santa monica, you will be miserable without a car.

superficial is a matter of perception, but since i work near beverly hills, i would say yes.

eastside living (with a car) is the way to go. Eastsiiiiide.

Jul 6, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, add Mar Vista to the list of cheap-ish (for the westside anyway) neighborhoods. It's right by Palms, I just couldn't remember the name when I posted the first time.

Jul 6, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

try beverlywood - south of the beverly center, around pico/robertson etc. my sister just moved to la and found a nice 2 bedroom w/hardwood floors etc. for $1,500 - everything else she was looking at on craig's list was around 2K. also, if you move in with a roomate who has been in their place a while it could be significantly less because rents in la have gone up like crazy during the last 10 years.
i would recommend a car, or at least a motorcycle or scooter, just because la is so huge and has so mucht o offer - it would be a shame to be relegated to stay mostly within one neighborhood.
the crowd in mid-la - west hollywood, beverly hills, etc. is definitely more entertainment industry and looks oriented than other parts of the city - fun to check out and starwatch occasionally but it can get really annoying. but keep in mind this is the most diverse city on the planet - anything and everything can be found if you look hard enough.

Jul 6, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

superficial people is really a myth about los angeles. yes they are there but most of the time being their own caricatures. and fun to ignore/tease them in their own game/insecurity if you bother.

cars. now, thats not a myth. good wheels (i mean reliable) are needed if you want to live a life in la. even if you use public trans, you still might be 1/2 hour walk away from your final destination nevermind the hours spent in buses. i lived in this city without a car for a long time but i was pretty much a local in santa monica and venice area and not working for a regular job that required me to drive around.
also see, la

Jul 6, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

I lived in Los Angeles for a couple years. I would not recommend living there without a car... unless you get a place within walking distance to work.

Public transport sucks and I think if you want to see anything that is outside of a ten minute walk from you place or work then you better get a car.

I am from the Midwest... and actually people in my hometown are more superficial than in La. of course there are those people that are ridiculous in La, but the frineds I made there were much more easy going and fun than my friends back home. I love all the beach cities... Venice, Santa Monica, Manhattan... there is nothing stuck up about the people in those communities.

Jul 7, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

I lived in Los Angeles for a couple years. I would not recommend living there without a car... unless you get a place within walking distance to work.

Public transport sucks and I think if you want to see anything that is outside of a ten minute walk from you place or work then you better get a car.

I am from the Midwest... and actually people in my hometown are more superficial than in La. of course there are those people that are ridiculous in La, but the frineds I made there were much more easy going and fun than my friends back home. I love all the beach cities... Venice, Santa Monica, Manhattan... there is nothing stuck up about the people in those communities.

Jul 7, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

My great apartment in silverlake will be available in mid-september!

drop me an email if interested in a top floor 2-br unit with balcony in an old art-deco hillside complex.

Jul 7, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

wow. treekiller. sounds nice. lake views?

wish it wasn't so far from UCLA for next fall...
i spotted angelyne on Cahuenga last night on the way to the hollywood bowl. first live encounter for me. i was stoked.

Jul 7, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Our views are looking over Cafe Tropical and the sunset/silverlake junction valley- facing east towards dodger stadium- we've been watching the fireworks that pop up above the trees. There is also a glimpse of towers downtown above the hill on the other side of the ravine.

Antworld- were you at Belle & Sebestian last night too? - Great fun, if I had been sitting close enough, I would have joined the stage rush at the end...

How's Angy? is her most recent face job holding up????

Jul 7, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

It seems everyone in LA was at that concert... I was in J... not quite close enough to rush the stage.

Jul 10, 06 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

living in la...

seems to be as big a myth as hollywood itself.

places to live around sci-arc that are not a fortune. anyone, anyone??

Jul 11, 06 2:03 am  · 
 · 
vjauregui

First of all, you need a car if u want to live in Beverly Hills. Buses can take an hour to get to downtown from there (no metro lines run to the west side). If you can spare the time, and effort, then do it!
If u are on tight spending, or dont mind sharing restrooms or even privacy, you would live in a loft with 3 or more students. This will probably cost you around +-400dlls (these lofts are walking distance to sci-arc in art district, and these arrangements are not hard to find). Studios in the business district (5 min. by car, 15 by bus) however, start at 950, and even that is a hard to find deal...expect >1100 for a nice place for yourself.
Superficiality, hmmm yes (more in the west side)...If you are, then I wouldn't live next to sci-arc!

Jul 11, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

i would like to know where these mythical afforable lofts by sci-arc are because i have apparently failed to find them. i knew i should have spent more time in undergrad playing playstation than studing. dang!

Jul 11, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

it's a little pricey, but try westsiderentals.com
they have pretty good listings. the key is to give yourself as much time as possible to search. the longer you search. the greater chance on happening on a bargain.

Jul 11, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Re: NY living wage-in LA it's not about the money...

Fame is our currency here. Doesn't matter if you can pay for dinner or drive a nice car. But can you get a reservation or into the night club- that takes fame!

Working for a starchitect doesn't contribute to your fame quotiant. For that, you'll need to sleep with somebody with more fame, or get into a car accident with a famous person.

Other methods of becoming famous include getting arrested for sex with a transvestite, having famous parents, being mean to non-famous people, being beautiful, being ugly, and working as a movie producer or agent.

Jul 11, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

What about designing houses for producers? Does that count?

Jul 11, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

designing for a star doesn't count, unless they give you a walk-on part, with lines. doesn't matter if you bomb- just make sure you are in the final cut.

Oh, but if the star mention's that you did their house in an interview or if the shoot an episode of cribs in the pad then you are half way towards being famous.

it's all about having a recognizable face, not the name.

Jul 11, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

brad pitt.

yeah. i said it.

Jul 11, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

So where are these lofts by Sci-ARC? and by the way, where is Sci-ARC located? are there affordable places by UCLA?

Jul 12, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

sci-arc is in the vicinity of downtown.
ucla is on the west side, between beverly hills and santa monica. the neighborhood there is called westwood. you can def. find some affordable housing in westwood or west la (adjacent to the former). less lofts though. more apts that are usually 2-3 bedrooms. (i live in west LA)

Jul 12, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Sci-arc is downtown as Harlem is in manhattan...

Snug up against the LA river on a beautiful industrial artery called Sante Fe Ave. The lofts are scattered all around downtown these days and range from converted factories and warehouses in the blocks around Sci-Arc, the luxury granite countertops in former 1920s office buildings on Broadway, to new construction next to the staples center.

The real artists are pushing to the north and east of downtown these days- look towards Highland Park, lincoln heights, Boyle Heights, and Chinatown, or up to 'noho' ie north hollywood. But these are artists, not architecture students - do you really want to be breathing turpintine fumes?

Affordable is relative - LA is almost as expensive as the northeast megalopolis.

Jul 12, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

Anyone living in Santa Monica? Thoughts on commuting there to West LA?

I like the potential of hopping on the big blue bus to work everyday and the proximity to the beach. Seems to be a creative environment.

Jul 31, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i live in west LA and work in santa monica. the bus schedule doesn't jive with my own so i drive or bike most days. 4 miles one way. it's easy and if you know the shortcuts, it'll never take more than 25 min even under heaviest traffic conditions (excepting rush hour accidents...)

working in santa monica is great :)

Jul 31, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

If you can afford it, go for it. Santa Monica is great, but $$$$$.

Jul 31, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

I took the job and will be moving out to LA at the end of the month. This will be a huge change from Kansas.

Aug 4, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: