Archinect
anchor

Does your AIA smell like mothballs?

207moak

I'm wondering if other archinectors would share stories of their experience experience in their local AIA chapters?

I joined and remain a member solely because the office is paying. I don't really see and can't really imagine what the AIA does in return for the mountains of cash collected in dues. I guess it make Record the most expensive magazine around.

My chapter is basically a storing house for all the stuffed shirts of the dusty old guard. Is your experience similar or do you actually feel involved in something?

Jun 29, 06 10:50 am

i think in most chapters your description is right on... when i graduated and started in my first office they basically forced me to join the AIA against my wishes since they were up for the local firm of the year award and were trying to get 100% membership...

a little more than a year ago, myself, along with a core group of 4-5 other young architects started a "young/emerging architects group" called etba (emerging tampa bay architects)... along with a more progressive than usual chapter president, last year we were able to start forcing the chapter to do some more interesting things... now we have etba meetings every month... sponsor movie nights at a local theater where we have seen architectural movies about gehry, hadid, rural studio, and others... we've had a few cool building tours... sponsored some local competitions... had some gallery shows... are working on putting together a charrette for the local art museum... and are working with the state AIA to plan the second annual "emerging professional's conference" which will be here in tampa bay with david lewis from lewis.tsurumaki.lewis as the keynote speaker...

we get a little bit of money from the local chapter, but we are essentially a separate organization... i'm looking forward to the day when enough of us "emergers" are licensed so that we can stage a hostile take over of the local chapter board of directors and thus reshape the local AIA into something more useful...

Jun 29, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

good for you architphil.

Jun 29, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

good for you architphil.

Jun 29, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
AP

when's the LTL / conference thing?

Jun 29, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

(Emerging Architects in Jacksonville is rather status quo...they've done some of the same things that you describe above, but more in a "hey, look at us" kind of way...not sure that anyone with the organization is at all interested in challanging the m.o. of the AIA.

count me in on the takeover....

Jun 29, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
AP

)

Jun 29, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

AP,

the conference is scheduled for the third weekend of october... i think the 20th-22nd... there should be a "save the date" card in the mail within the next few weeks...

we're also probably going to have a design competition too, with lewis putting together a jury of some of his NYC buddies...

Jun 29, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I can tell you with all certainty that my local AIA does NOT smell like mothballs!

Jun 29, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

yes, the AIA detroit smells like mothballs and the front door doesn't even work... storage for foamcore-mounted corporate hooplah.

Jun 29, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
erasmus

AIA detroit skins you alive when you go to grab forms.... my CAD hand is all f'd up (i think i should get hazard pay)

Jun 29, 06 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

AIA LA has the most undersized, poorly coordinated exposed HVAC that I have ever seen. It must have been 100 degrees in there for the 4 General Structures seminars I took there. Ugh. I shan't be back.

Jun 29, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
cf

OK cf, if your local AIA does Not smell like mothballs, what does it smell like?

Well, let me tell you.
It smells like rich Corinthian leather, seasoned oak burning in the fireplace, excellent Cuban cigar smoke, with a fine bouquet of Italian hair fixative, wonderful mixture of colognes, and the highest quality flatulence money can buy.

Jun 30, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
comb

threads like this are such a bore ... AIA, like democracy, is a direct function of the level of participation by its citizens. if all you want to do is pay your dues (usually paid by your firm anyway) and then sit back to expect miracles, you are going to be perpetually disappointed. however, if you take the time to become engaged in a constructive manner, AIA can be a great experience.

i am reminded of the candle-light service held at my church each holiday season on Christmas eve. every member of the congregation is given a very small candle, the sanctuary lights are dimmed and the amount of light provided by hundreds and hundreds of very small candles illuminates a very large and beautiful space. every year, this reinforces to me the potential power of many individuals working together in pursuit of a common goal.

by contrast, AIA has about 74,000 dues paying members. probably less than 3-4% of those members ever actually do anything, such as take a volunteer leadeship role or serve on a local committee.

every body likes to complain about AIA ... my view is that the only people who have the right to complain are those who take an active role in the life of the institute. if you don't want to do that, save your money and your breath, because you're not a part of the solution.

Jun 30, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Comb is half right. Groups and organizations (even fora like this one on Archinect) are what one makes them. Don't get involved, and don't expect anything to change.

HOWEVER, organizations can get taken in one direction by an elite or powerful group whose members do all they can to stay in control and sideline newer members with newer ideas.

That said, get involved anyway. The "Young Architects" group/wing idea is a great one. Also, don't forget: even old, established architects drop dead sooner or later, and the ones best poised to take over for them in a group like AIA are the energetic ones ALREADY involved in the organization.

Jun 30, 06 10:40 am  · 
 · 
comb

citizen -- i take your point ... however, the only way that "organizations can get taken in one direction by an elite or powerful group whose members do all they can to stay in control and sideline newer members with newer ideas" is when there are not enough voices saying this is not the way the majority wants to go, and then backing up that view with energy and action.

i have been deeply involved in aia as a volunteer leader at the local, state, regional and national level ... for me, it's been an extraordinarily rewarding experience, with one exception. repeated and persistent efforts to get other dues-paying members involved has been excruciatingly difficult.

i've yet to meet an architect, or architectural graduate, who does not have something important to contribute to the aia, and something important to gain from that experience. but, it's a lot like baseball ... when you step up to the plate, you have to swing the bat if you want to get on base. not enough aia members ever seem to swing the bat

Jun 30, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

i agree comb...

in my chapter it seems that the board of directors is a rotating cast of the same people in different positions each year... they can nominate each other for the positions on the board and then at the yearly meeting (that no one attends except the board members even though it's open to everyone) they vote themselves in... there is rarely ever any new blood...

that's why i'm hoping, through the emerging group, we can generate enough interest in the younger architects and eventually take control of the board and steer it in the right direction...

i feel your pain when it comes to getting members to pay attention and care about what's going on... even with the emerging group (with no dues, and very few ties to big brother/AIA) it's difficult to get people involved... WE EVEN HAVE FREE PIZZA AND BEER AT MOST OF OUR MEETINGS yet we can't get a whole lot of people to show up...

if all of the archinectors were involved with (or started their own) emerging architects groups in their own AIA chapter, the face of the profession and the AIA would change drastically almost immediately...

when we first started our group, most of the old AIA guys sorta looked at us with a bit of disdain because we were pushing the design community to get involved in some politically sensitive issues (art museum relocation, possible demolition of a public park by the city, etc.) that the local chapter didn't want to touch... but now that we've been such a successful group we have won some awards from the chapter and they seem to look for our help when something really needs to get done...

Jun 30, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Welcome to The American Institute of Architects-
Since 1857, the AIA has represented the professional interests of America's architects. As AIA members, over 74,000 licensed architects, emerging professionals, and allied partners express their commitment to excellence in design and livability in our nation's buildings and communities. Members adhere to a code of ethics and professional conduct that assures the client, the public, and colleagues of an AIA-member architect's dedication to the highest standards in professional practice. Use links at left to find out more.

Mission Statement-
The American Institute of Architects is the voice of the architecture profession dedicated to:

Serving its members
Advancing their value
Improving the quality of the built environment.

Vision Statement-
Through a culture of innovation, The American Institute of Architects empowers its members and inspires creation of a better built environment.

As an outstanding national professional association, we continue to provide our leadership to the community at large. With the strong support of all our members we have been able to educate the community to realize our highest product design objectives nurtured by our professional conduct and code of ethics. We appreciate your support and welcome your further assistance in our objective.

Jun 30, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: