Archinect
anchor

Mac Firms

mantaray

If you know of a firm, of any size or shape, that uses Macs in practice, please post it here! I am particularly interested in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego.

Thank you!

***disclaimer: this is just because I am curious and will not be used for some kind of spam in any way. I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there.***

Jun 27, 06 11:14 pm
brookmeier
The Kubala Washatko Architects

in Cedarburg, WI (just north of Milwaukee). 100% Mac.

Jun 28, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed
J,P:A
Jun 28, 06 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

That website is suck annoying.

Jun 28, 06 4:00 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

ahh, one of my professors has a Houston based practice in which they use all Macs. I doubt he has a website

Jun 28, 06 4:05 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Antoine Predock in ABQ, NM

Jun 28, 06 4:09 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

in relation to the topic...which is better for architects/architecture students?

pc or mac?

from what i've heard

mac- have good graphics capabilities and are stable but apparently have limited software options...and no autocad?

pc-lots of software and has a competitive market...plus more power at a cheaper price but not as stable

Jun 28, 06 4:11 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

sashimi.... too many discussions in here about that... my advice, use whatever fits u... if ur into style, trendy looking use one, if ur into compatibility, sharing of file formats, etc. use two, or one, or all... etc, wont say which one is better cause there's no better than the other, all depends what u manage and what softwares u use and what u like to work on.... its like trying to decide what shoes are better for sports reebok or nike....

Jun 28, 06 4:22 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

sorry, sashimi, let's keep that discussion out of this thread. it's a question that provokes endless debate. check out some earlier threads on that topic using the search button--you'll find enough to keep you going for hours. I'd like to stay on topic here.

Speaking of which: I've heard that Koetter Kim is all mac.

Jun 28, 06 6:59 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ha, yeah, that J,P:A website is annoying. I like the huge pics, though, once you finally make it that far.

Jun 28, 06 7:00 am  · 
 · 
Keef

couldn't find the pics, gave up

Jun 28, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya, gave up, after a minor seizure induced by flashing graphics...

Jun 28, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
AP
PSM

;-)

Jun 28, 06 9:47 am  · 
 · 
AP

if you haven't run across this article...it has some good info.

good luck with your search.

Jun 28, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

AP: Yeesh, guess that proves my point that good (and bad) firms come on all platforms... ;) but thanks, every little bit helps!

I hadn't seen that article, thank you. Arcintosh annoys me because they haven't updated their info since the Lisa was still around. And the site is really clunky and poorly designed... unfortunately not a good advertisement for mac use! BUT, thanks for the tipoff--I had forgotten about them, will poke through their listings too.

Keep 'em coming!

Jun 28, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless
Allied Works
Jun 28, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 

In Los Angeles, KAA Design Group is 90% mac. They just keep a couple of PCs around for rendering purposes, and all the employees I know there absolutely love it.

Jun 28, 06 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
e
paulett taggart

uses macs. at least she did when i used to work for her. good work. good boss. benefits? one is that she is the wife of bill stout. bill has what is one the best architectural book stores in the nation. can you say employee discount?

Jun 28, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

oh, and that wes jones site is horrible. it's kinda sad too. most web site suck because they don't have any good content. wes has good content.

Jun 28, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

oh man, I would kill to be married to an arch. bookstore owner. Damn! I like her work, too. Thanks to all of you. Hopefully this will be a helpful resource for everyone.

Jun 28, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
looper222
www.wadamsarchitects.com

- all macs, all the time.

Jun 28, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i've thought about opening an architecture book shop...but it'll probably be years before that happens.

Jun 28, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

the firm, which I work at is 99% mac. we have two PC's:
1.) for AIA contracts and AutoCAD transfers
2.) for the CFO billing

I have mixed emotions about the mac's - the CAD software we use is so outdated that we cannot even run OSX. we have to run 9.1 in classic mode in order to get the CAD software to work.

This makes it almost impossible to purchase or utilize any of the software that most firms consider essential

We have almost zero 3D rendering capabilities, except for the cartoonish looking 3D components of our outdated software... The principal ends up doing 100% of the renderings by hand (which our clients prefer anyways)

all of the partners come from the hand drafting days and this is the only CAD software they have ever used, so getting them to switch is like pulling teeth...

oh, by the way - the software is called 'Architrion'

me and a bunch of the younger guys have almost convinced them to switch, especially when we would bring in school work to show. But then someone will go on vacation and it is forgotten.

Just last week we were talking about staying with the mac's but finally upgrading our software and operating systems because I guess something will be happening soon that will make it impossible to run any new software on 9.1

on the plus side....
the mac's are very reliable, hardly ever get attacked with viruses and the Architrion software we use is so easy to crank out the drawings, which makes it good for CD's.

Bottom line, if you are using mac's in a firm, it is esential that they are up to date with the newest of the new software and operating systems, if not - the mac's become nothing but a hassle.

I would NOT recommend any firm switching from PC to Mac.

Jun 28, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

This doesn't really match your cities but for anyone who is interested:

NY (vectorworks): http://www.levenbetts.com/
London (FormZ): http://www.plasmastudio.com/

Both are award winning practices working on a mac

Does anyone know anymore mac based practices in the UK, i've seen a couple out there but can't remember the names?

as for this comment: " would NOT recommend any firm switching from PC to Mac." ( although i realize it might be specific to the OS 9 platform not OSX)

I think it depends on the situation If it's a large established firm then they should avoid it unless they go for new macs which have an intel chip since they can install windows and still use the software they've acquired over time while they transition to vectorworks, formz or archicad (which should be released as universal binaries over the coming 2 years). Smaller firms which have more options because of their size could easily transition to a mac based firm. If you're starting out a mac based firm would be a good choice since technical support isn't much of an issue considering that viruses just aren't there and pc viruses won't effect you (you can still spread them to pc users), also software is relatively inexpensive compared to autocad or microstation. Also I would avoid Autocad since they are trying to lock their users in and forcing them to keep upgrading their software just so they can read current cad file formats.That said I'd like to see microstation make a return to OS X, it's the best software i've used for a pc and the old mac version at the time wasn't too bad either except the layering system was awful. There are a lot of small firms in Europe and the US that produce great work and they're mac based so i don't see why using one would cripple a firm. Also you don't have to have the latest OS release. Most software will work on OS 10.3.9, but if you want the latest features then upgrading to 10.4.7 isn't too much of an issue either since OS X upgrades aren't too expensive oh and btw the updates between each major os release (e.g. 10.4-!0.5 as in 10.4.1; 10.4.2 etc) are free just incase there was any confusion over that.

Jun 29, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

"Speaking of which: I've heard that Koetter Kim is all mac."

Well at least i know who designed my apartment building now!

Jun 29, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm
http://www.bcj.com/

Contact
8 West Market Street
Suite 1200
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 18701
Tel 570.825.8756
Fax 570.825.3744

307 Fourth Avenue
Suite 1300
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15222
Tel 412.765.3890
Fax 412.765.2209

123 South Broad Street
Suite 1370
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19109
Tel 215.790.5900
Fax 215.790.5901

1932 First Avenue
Suite 916
Seattle, Washington 98101
Tel 206.256.0862
Fax 206.256.0864

49 Geary Street
Suite 300
San Francisco, California 94108
Tel 415.989.2100
Fax 415.989.2101

I think they designed Bill Gates' house lol

Jun 29, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ignorant people using years-old technology that cannot hack it in modern practice are found on both sides of the OS divide. I wouldn't take that as a statement against macs. No firm should be using OS9! I feel sorry for you, cln1!!

And thanks for the tipoffs, frem001.

also fyi, James Cutler designed Bill Gates' home.

I have amassed a huge list of small, high design firms in the Chicago area. I'm hoping that a few are on macs (and guessing so). I saw macs in the background of one of the office pics. That's often all you have to go by unless someone gives you a tipoff.

There seems, anecdotally, to be more mac firms in SF, which makes sense.

Jun 29, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm
http://www.architosh.com/news/1999-07/0730-gateshousemac.phtml

from what i know it was a collaboration and probably done by hand but one can speculate if it ever touched a mac, but it doesn't really matter.

I also need to start job hunting so hopefully more people will contribute to this thread, so any UK (london to be exact) submissions would be immensely helpful. Just finished my Riba Part I so i would like to get some hands on experience (i should have really done this after second year)

Jun 29, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

no worries mantaray:
the firm is actually amazing to work for, and at this point in my life I wouldn't trade it for anything...

The decisions to stay with the CAD software we currently use (which dictates us using OS9) is not due to ignorant principles who can not hack it... for them, it is a business decision.

If we switched to a PC firm that used AutoCAD (fyi: I am anti-AutoCAD) They would have to send most of the older employees out for training. Going with updated Mac's and the 'Bootcamp' and Vectorworks, or another MAC friendly program would require less hassle for the older guys to switch...

But for now: (meaning the past 5 yrs) our firm has not slowed down, we have not lost a client, we have not lost a project, or missed a deadline, or had any issues in file transfers to PC consultants, etc, etc.

i cant believe that nobody from a Chicago Mac firm hasnt answered your call yet? Good luck on the search...

frem001: thanks for adding that little clarification to the closing remark of my previous rant... you pinpointed what I was trying to say - I let myself get a little carried away!

Jun 29, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

eek, sorry, I meant the old technology couldn't hack it in the modern world, not the principles. sorry about that. but it sounds like your cad software does the job. Have they not released an OSX version of it? I can't imagine still working in 9! More power to you guys if it works, though!

I use vectorworks at my current firm, it's ok for residential work. ArchiCad looks the best to me but I haven't used it in practice. MicroStation was better than VW but they still need to release their updated Mac version which they are supposed to be doing before I'll switch from VW back to them. I use formz for modelling.

Jun 29, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

"I use vectorworks at my current firm, it's ok for residential work. ArchiCad looks the best to me but I haven't used it in practice. MicroStation was better than VW but they still need to release their updated Mac version which they are supposed to be doing before I'll switch from VW back to them. I use formz for modelling."

Did i read that right are Bentley Re-releasing Microstation for OS X??? If so please let it be universal and kick ass! Where did you hear this from?

Jun 29, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

oh they talked about it like a year ago. i haven't heard anything since. i can't remember where i saw it... i'll check google

Jun 29, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

hmm, maybe I totally made that up. Shoot. I've been thinking that forever, I wonder where I got it from?!

Jun 29, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

i've only read that they are open to developing for other platforms but that was it and that is around 2-3 years old. If they are going to release and universal version for OS X then that's fantastic, i liked using microstation the only problems i had with it was when it came to scaling for printing... i think vectorworks is superior when it comes to scaling a document while drawing and when printing out.

Jun 29, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Actually this brings up an interesting idea--I guess if I don't find the right firm on mac (although past good experience has made me very optimistic), I suppose I could trade in my powerbook for a new powermac and convince them to let me work on my own laptop... then I could work for a microstation firm and maybe I could tolerate that. Hmm.

Yes scaling in VW is much much better! I like a LOT of things about VW--it's just that there are some annoying quirks and it is kind of simplistic.

Jun 29, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
Restaurant Consultation & Design

is 90% Macs. We use Vectorworks for design/drafting and Artlantis for rendering. Also we use PC's for some industry specific apps, though I've got my new iMac 20" up and running XP Pro with Parallels with great success so far.

AMD is all Mc all the time. Mostly boutique-y residential. Modern sensibilities, but SF is a tough town for modern residential work. The SF Residential Design Guidelines are fairly draconian. Nice and clean work though...Also Vectorworks.

I hear that Zack/DeVito is also all Mac.

It's pretty lame I think to be forced into taking sides in the great OS battle. The choice is easy.

Buy the best you can afford that helps you do the work you need to do. The machines don't do the design last I checked!

Jun 29, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Vectoworks need to work on their cutting tools, i prefer how microstation handles that, since it's easier to cut multiple overlapping lines in microstation, I haven't been able to do that in vectorworks i seem to have to cut them one by one which is a waste of time. I still have a lot to learn with vectorworks especially in the 3D department

"Buy the best you can afford that helps you do the work you need to do. The machines don't do the design last I checked!"

Totally agree with that.

Jun 29, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
aesculanus

Deciding your firm based on platform doesn't seem a very solid basis to me....

Jun 29, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The MAC/PC debate is getting dumber by the minute. Especially now that people are like 'errr I'll just run Windows on my Mac to us ACAD.' Stupid. Dude, my freakin' desk top is under my desk. It runs rock solid stable, I don't see the case (which actually is fairly attractive though), it's fast and gets the job done. If you have a preference for a particular software package that is proprietary, ok, but honestly. It's a box of wires and electrons. It's the same crappy Fruity Pebbles vomit colored lines spinning around on the screen in the shape of a window detail. I would much rather choose my job based on location, people, work, pay then if the box is a nice shiney white one with glittery icons. These threads remind me of the 16 year olds on Newegg that claim how kickass a Quadro would be for playing DOOM3. Soon we are all going to just have a Mac/PC/iPod/cell phone chip implanted in our skulls and this stupid debate can finally end.

Jun 29, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I respectfully request that those who question my decision making skills stay out of this thread.

It is a decision, I have many personal reasons for making it, none of them should bother or threaten or annoy any of you in any way. If my decision upsets you that much, perhaps it is you who needs to find another way to spend your time than making posts on this site.

I am seeking information for mac firms and nothing more or less; the object of my post is clearly evident in the title, and frankly it is utterly pointless for people to try to create debate about it or to decry my reasoning for it. After all, you knew what it was about before you clicked on the title, and I didn't ask for challenges to that.

Please try to respect me and my reasoning and if you have something useful to answer to my question, go for it, but otherwise, you yourself are becoming the nerdy antagonistic teenager type that creates debate where there is none.

Thanks in advance for the names of any mac firms you know of.

Jun 29, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
blah

cin1

There are a couple of gentlemen in France who make a Mac OS X version of BOA. It's essentially the program that takes off where Architrion left off. It has the simplicity of the block and the workplane and a much more elegant means of making your way around a 3-d model.

http://www.boa-research.fr/

And it runs in X.

Ask for Georges... He's the man!

There are very few Mac firms in Chicago...

Jun 30, 06 1:45 am  · 
 · 
blah

PS. Cin1, if you don't see a tool in BOA that you used and loved in Architrion, ask Georges to create one. That's the cool thing about this company. They're small and listen to their customers. We have suggested many improvements in BOA and have watched many of them come to fruition. There are some great 2-d tools in Architrion that should migrate to BOA. Tell Georges about them!

Jun 30, 06 2:19 am  · 
 · 
aesculanus

*hissssss.....*

Jun 30, 06 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

frem: you don't need to cut lines one at a time in vectorworks. It has a tool that's almost the same as the one in MicroStation. It's called "clip" and lets you cut things inside a marquee, outside a marquee, or split the objects at the edge of the marquee. There's also the "split" tool which will cut or trim multiple objects along a line.

I like ArchiCAD, but really anything you can do in it is do-able in VW too. I haven't heard that about MicroStation. I thought that Bentley had pulled the plug on Mac support forever.

Jun 30, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
bryonblue

Our entire office is Mac-based (about 60 machines) we only keep 2 PC's around for AIA software and AutoCAD for the rare times our software doesn't read it correctly.

We use ArchiCAD 10 which incidentally, operates on both Windows/Mac platform, AND the files are read by both... so essentially, it wouldn't matter who's operating system we were using. We just like the stability and less vulnerability to viruses of the Mac OS. Also, the new quad processors are lighting fast with renderings, which we also create through ArchiCAD and enhance with Photoshop.

We also use OpenOffice for word processing/spreadsheets, etc. It's freeware and relatively stable (it has it's quirks too.)

www.kitchenandassociates.com

We're located just outside Philadelphia, PA

Hope this helps!

Jun 30, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

"frem: you don't need to cut lines one at a time in vectorworks. It has a tool that's almost the same as the one in MicroStation. It's called "clip" and lets you cut things inside a marquee, outside a marquee, or split the objects at the edge of the marquee. There's also the "split" tool which will cut or trim multiple objects along a line.

I like ArchiCAD, but really anything you can do in it is do-able in VW too. I haven't heard that about MicroStation. I thought that Bentley had pulled the plug on Mac support forever."

This is what happens when you have a 10 min crash course in vectorworks, i was only taught the basics of microstation at university and that was the only software that was required learning otherwise we had a one day training session in rhino. I've played around with the tools and they better than i thought they would be, even been fooling around with 3d at the moment. Thanks for telling me something i should have known all along since they were right there. I tend to avoid exploring software when i'm on an important drawing. I'm going to take the time to learn vectorworks, formz and maya properly over the summer.

Jun 30, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
jimjaxx

cmpbs uses a mac. you will use it 99.999999% of your time

Jun 30, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

isn't this pretty much a moot discussion now that the intel-based macs can run windows (autocad, rhino, max, whatever)...

Jul 2, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

still not moot, if you want autocad, rhino, max etc you'll have to put up with the negative aspects of running windows software. there is hope though there is a new application called crossover (screen shots linked via cnet) which doesn't require a windows OS to be installed on your mac:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060630170338.shtml

Jul 2, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
jimjaxx

will autodesk ever produce a 3ds max for Mac's? Any rumors?

Jul 3, 06 2:09 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I can't see why they'd bother, at least until a complete rewrite. mac's are such a low percentage of the market.

I really can't believe offices can rely on Mac's. I love the way they look, but without good tech support it's a tough pill to swallow (paying more for the hardware, etc.). I went to a Mac store yesterday, hoping they'd tell me there was someway to get onsite, nextday service. Nope. Not possible. I will no longer consider a Mac. Last time Dell came out, they were there withing 10 hours with the parts and tech to install. Too bad, really.

Jul 3, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: