Archinect
anchor

Mac Firms

archtopus

Studios Architecture is completely on OS X using ArchiCAD (at least in their New York office where I co-oped a couple years ago.) I assume the same is true for the DC, San Francisco, LA and London offices.

Jul 3, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Compentent offices can rely on Mac's, because the tech support required is nil.

Jul 3, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

trace you are right. We are an office with 3 macs and 4 pcs. The macs look great and somehow fit the needs of the artists in the office (we do some artistic type renderings too), but these are nothing what a pc can do for about half the price.

One more revelation is that the guys at the apple 'genius bar' are a bunch of poses with their 'cool' apple black dresses. They know absolutely nothing about anything that apple does not make.

Jul 3, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

"I really can't believe offices can rely on Mac's. I love the way they look, but without good tech support it's a tough pill to swallow (paying more for the hardware, etc.). I went to a Mac store yesterday, hoping they'd tell me there was someway to get onsite, nextday service. Nope. Not possible. I will no longer consider a Mac. Last time Dell came out, they were there withing 10 hours with the parts and tech to install. Too bad, really."

That's great to hear if you're virus prone or your machine fails on you all the time, in an office you'd have a backup plan you wouldn't be waiting for dell, apple or any other company to come fix your machine.

"One more revelation is that the guys at the apple 'genius bar' are a bunch of poses with their 'cool' apple black dresses. They know absolutely nothing about anything that apple does not make."

That's not completely true, they are there to offer support for apple products and not for other products, but it doesn't mean they don't know about other products, if they support them then they are liable for things going wrong and how much of that can be applied to any other electronics store... and how many stores actually have a tech desk right there with someone to talk to you about your problem... i guess you haven't read much about how best buy operates.

Jul 3, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

oh and one more thing... could you stop trolling the thread, if you have something constructive to add then add it if not then go read another thread. if people are interested in working on certain platforms than let them seek THEIR preference.

Jul 3, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

frem, i went once to the 'genius bar' into this apple store nearby to ask them a very simple question (i did not do any research or call customer support because i wanted to check out the genius bar mac lovers swear by), and the bozos there could not solve my problem because i used my ipod with a pc. Now well Itunes is the same for PC and Mac, and Ipod is apple's hallmark. Do we expect tech support geniuses to be so myopic???
And yes i had shelled out the dough for applecare.

"how many stores actually have a tech desk right there with someone to talk to you about your problem" well my local fry's electronics store, which is not as hip as an apple store does have a tech desk with far better professionals WHO KNOW ABOUT BOTH MACS AND PCS.

back to the original thread, then

Jul 3, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I simply posted because I've wanted an Apple laptop and have been doing research on buying one for my business (sorry, not large enough to pay a full time IT staff - many firms do not have that luxury).

Also, virus problems etc., are not going to cause the hardware to malfunction. Considering Macs and PCs are essentially the same on the inside (albeit Macs are nicely organized), the reliability for hardware will be about the same. So who is responsible for replacing problems with the hardware?

You bumped this up be responding, let's not forget

Jul 3, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

"Now well Itunes is the same for PC and Mac, and Ipod is apple's hallmark. Do we expect tech support geniuses to be so myopic???"

it's not up to them (the genii) when it comes to choosing what they can support. iTunes might be the same software but because it runs on windows there are more problems that just itunes itself... windows needs to support various hardware so problems occur all over the place. At my store they manage to accomodate windows users and they make the attempt to try and sort the issue out.

Aug 9, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

ok so now can we get back to the main topic.

Aug 9, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm
ty.ro

In Toronto:

www.GBCA.ca

Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd. Architects.

I worked for them for 1.5 years, great people, smaller, about 15 people. Mostly adaptive re-use. Vectorworks/Mac based office, but they've got a few PCs also for CAD.

I hope you found what you needed.

Sep 10, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
ll
www.division1architects.com

VectorWorks
formZ

Sep 10, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
crave

venice beach ca
archicad
http://www.sharc.com/

Sep 10, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Phoenix: Orkut Winslow

Sep 10, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

in boston: designLAB architects and leers weinzapfel associates. dLa uses archicad, lwa uses vectorworks.

Sep 12, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

i was told by a professor of mine who used to work there that pugh+scarpa were mac users, but by the time he was leaving they had started to shift to pcs, or something like that,, thats 3 years ago though,,

Sep 12, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: