Archinect
anchor

zaha in the nyc

Cherith Cutestory

A retrospective of Zaha Hadid's work opened this weekend at the Guggenheim in New York, and will be on display until October 25th, 2006. Here is the link to the Guggenheim site with some "highlights" of the show:

link

Okay, so I admit, I am chomping at the bit to go. Seeing her early work in acrylic at full scale (some look like they are almost 12' long) would be pretty amazing. It does seem funny to me, in the same way as the Frank Gehry film, that architects are being celebrated in retrospectives and films while they are living, instead of years after their death. It seems like before too long, things like the OMA split will appear on newsstand tabloids with the recent celebrity gossip.

Jun 5, 06 1:42 pm
misterTT

I went on opening day (and saw most of my new Columbia classmates there) and was astounded that the entire spiral at the guggenheim was devoted to her work. It was an incredible exhibit, especially because I assumed she would get one of the offshoot galleries. the models are quite amazing, and the chronology is (obviously) enforced by the spiral experience. I've got to say though that her conceptual art was maybe a bit over-represented. there was lots of "girl power" in the air; she is obviously being touted for being female as much as she is for being a designer.

Jun 5, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
AP
news
Jun 5, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

"girl power" ?

Chewing the chewed !

Oh puleeze..Can we have something new ?

Jun 5, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

"If the paintings are too large, cut them in half!" - --Frank Lloyd Wright

Jun 5, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Just read an interesting Zaha article on gabion

Jun 5, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

yeah, that is quite a revealing article. she is starting to seem complacent. she has kind of given up on everything she represented

Jun 5, 06 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Another article by Edwin Heathcote on the Zaha exhibit: http://news.ft.com/cms/s/ee543ef0-f57a-11da-bcae-0000779e2340.html

Jun 7, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
albob

Was wondering, do any of you know anything of her "dancing towers" for Dubai? I know they'll start construction sometime this or next year but from this picture I can't seem to visualise them properly. They remind me a bit of the United Architects proposal for the world trade centre (although I hated that proposal)

Jun 7, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: