Archinect
anchor

musical chairs

SaltyOrange

just left one firm(A) to go to another(B)...start new job today...
over the weekend got a call from a better firm(C) that is interested.
(likely turn into better opp.) what would you do? any thoughts?

thing is...firm (A) and (C) have a "gentlemen's agreement" not
to poach each others employees...in fact it is rare to even go from one to the other. So the act of my being employed by firm (B) is the only conduit for (C).

messed up.

Jun 5, 06 5:54 am
assbackward

That's a tricky one. So if you were still working at (A), you couldn't go directly to (C), right? But you're now working at (B), depending on what time zone you're in. Anyway, I don't know where this line of reasoning is going, but (C) did hire you with (A) on your résumé, correct? It's not your duty to uphold their gentlemen's agreement, is it? Or is it, since you were part of (A)?

Did (C) know that you worked for (A)?
Or did you not list (A) on your résumé?

Maybe you should send this to the Ethicist column at the NYT Sunday Magazine.

Jun 5, 06 6:12 am  · 
 · 
assbackward

Do you have a firm offer from (C)? It seems that if you're going to leave (B) for (C), it'd be better to do it on the first day, before they set up accounts for you, get attached to the taste of salty oranges, etc.

Jun 5, 06 6:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Firm (C) called you on the weekend to offer you a job? Are they really very gentlemanly about their firm practices, because to me a weekend call is not necessarily a good sign of things to come.

Though perhaps you requested that so firm (A) wouldn't know you were looking. Hmmmm.

assbackward raises some very good points, but no matter what this is a tricky situation.

Jun 5, 06 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Ask them(A),(B) and (C) to slug it out in a ring for you.

If thats not possible ,have some patience, (D) will come along soon.

Jun 5, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

E-all of the above

Jun 5, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
207moak

If you've pursued firm C, be uprfont with A that you were not poached by C but initiated with them on your own.
Tell B you've reconsidered and are off to C and hope that the observations above about C's method of contact is not a sign of bad things to come.

Jun 5, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Metaphoracle

This would be so much easier if we knew the firm names. I understand why we don't, but in the end, it's the work that matters.

Jun 5, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

SaltyOrange: How was the first day at (B)?

Jun 5, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

assbackward is right, this has the Ethicist written all over it: mailto:[email protected]

Jun 6, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
SaltyOrange

First day at B wasn't bad at all. Will probably stick it out. Thanks for the input.

Jun 6, 06 5:48 am  · 
 · 
assbackward

I still think you should write the Ethicist at the NYT. That would be fun to see an archinect post spill over into a major print medium.

Jun 6, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: