Archinect
anchor

NIBS/AIA/CSI Cad Standards

cf

I am so pleased to announce that we as architects have the intellectual capability and not only that, but the resolute understanding and reasoning power of our own carefully trained architectural minds to have further advanced the standardization of our profession to a more perfect unification, albeit a small but proper step in a long line of pure order.

The U.S. National CAD Standard (NCS) entered a new phase in its growth and development earlier this year when representatives of the AIA, the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI), and the National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) signed an agreement for publication and distribution of the NCS. The hallmark of the new agreement, which replaces earlier agreements of narrower scope, is a clarification of intellectual property rights that will enable NIBS to enter into licensing agreements with software developers throughout the AEC industry to incorporate the content of the NCS directly into software applications.

The agreement also provides, for the first time, for the publication and distribution of the NCS, including an electronic edition accessible to users on their computers via single-user, workgroup, and enterprise (companywide) licenses. This will enable firms to make the NCS widely available to their employees through their office intranets at a reasonable cost. The agreement also lays the legal and business foundation for publication of NCS Version 3.0 in late 2003.

Please join with me in congratulating the executive branch of the AIA by sending a letter of agreement directly to the president. Our AIA is working diligently and not only that but painstakingly towards a complete standardization process that is right and proper to further our position as Architects in this our community at large.

If you have not already done so, please join your area AIA- it is your inherent priviledge and not only that but advantage granted by your great intellectual endowment as Architect. We are living in a great time to be enjoying this new quality of life. Stand as we have been granted, lead the world with the vision of our standard unification!!!!!

Jun 2, 06 1:26 pm
montu

I think I hear Ride of the Valkyrie rising in th background.

Jun 2, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

the ride of the valkyries? i think i heard the death march from star wars.

<cf> archinect.... i am your father.

Jun 2, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Hooray! CAD standards!

Just what's been holding me back from true starchitect status.

Jun 5, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Why do we flow like lemmings towards conformity?

Why must my CAD files look identicle to joe shmoe's?

How do we convince those damn engineers to draw in feet-n-inches, not unitless space that resists all attempts to scale and xref into our baseplans?????

When will autocad stop being EVIL??? and sucking all inteligence out of the drawing process?

What ever happened to drawings as form of poetic communication that had clarity and visual structure with a elegance of line weights emphasizing the critical pieces?????

Jun 5, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: