Archinect
anchor

What is good...

ringlet

There are many posts on this site of what everyone thinks is bad architecture...pretty much everything seems to be horrible from what I have read. So my question to all of you is what is good? Which projects do you believe are good design?

Jun 1, 06 9:58 pm
Becker

i like my home. its good.

Jun 1, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
grid

whatever makes YOU happy.

Jun 1, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

those are all crap

Jun 4, 06 2:04 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

somebody said that a true architect never critizes other's work, because there is no right way to do architecture...

Jun 4, 06 3:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

that's wrong

Jun 4, 06 9:27 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

shouldn't we be critical but supportive? We are all trying to accomplish the same thing. I don't see other professions that are so critical of one another.

Jun 4, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 
quizzical
ringlet

: you might enjoy this earlier thread:

In 25 words or less: "Good Architecture" is ...

Jun 4, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
albob

Good architecture? My thoughts, no complicated answer.

Something that enhances an area, so, it has to be an improvement on what was there before.
Has to do a good job of engaging people at street level and make people feel good to walk near the building.
In terms of aesthetics, has to be appealing to everyone, whether they are an elite or an average joe.
And of course, has to function efficiently.

Jun 4, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

they rule Zaha out.

Jun 5, 06 3:32 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

did someone just say the salk institute was crap? what a douchebag!!

Jun 5, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Over the past year, USA WEEKEND Magazine and the American Institute of Architects (www.aia.org) collaborated to come up with this list of great architectural works of the 21st century. We at the AIA are pleased to provide you with the standard of excellence in superior design recognition. As architects we are endowed innately with this supreme gift that we naturally have honed with great diligence these many years of education and practice, as you all know and understand. The Committe of Standardization has spoken. Our distinguished panel of judges are:
-- William Gilchrist, planning director of the city of Birmingham, Ala., and an alumnus of Harvard's Kennedy School of Government and of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
-- Carol Ross Barney, (shown above) a Chicago-based architect who is designing the new Oklahoma City federal campus
-- Marilyn Taylor, chair and New York-based partner of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP, which is involved with the post-Sept. 11 rebuilding of Lower Manhattan
-- Thomas Ventulett, principal with Atlanta-based Thompson, Ventulett, Stainback and Associates, honored by the AIA as this year's top firm
-- Sarah Susanka, residential architect and author of "The Not So Big House" and "Creating the Not So Big House"

Let us take note of those that we all are in great distinction. This is one of many opportunities to manifest our superior standardization to the world community that continues to ask for our honed leadership and standardization skills and accomplishments. Join your area AIA and become a grand selector of impeccable distinction. This is our duty, we are the power at large!!!!!!

http://www.usaweekend.com/02_issues/020901/020901architect.html

Jun 5, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

just kidding... i love the salk...

but "good" and "crap" are kindof meaningless... whats good about it? whats crappy about it?

Jun 6, 06 1:43 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

This seems to be about issues of "quality" and whether one thing can be objectively recognized as better than another thing.

When I'm feeling holy, I like to think - hey man, it's all good. Las Vegas is totally OK!

But then again, I DO think that some things are better than others. I'd go out on a limb and say John Coltrane is better than Kenny G. Tomatoes from my garden are better than tomatoes from the supermarket. And so forth.

The trouble is, it's hard to put your finger on what makes one thing better than another. We can talk about "taste" but often as not, taste can be an inhibitor to creative leaps:

"Good taste, what a dispicable idea! Taste is the enemy of creativity"
-Pablo Picasso

These days I've been leaning towards the idea that good architecture is approachable - in other words, if the person experiencing it can make it their own - personalize it - take it to heart.

I think the quality also goes up with the depth of the investigation - how much thought and effort was put into it? But this isn't all - it also needs some kind of soul or intuitive aspect.

Overall, I'd say there is meaning in talking about whether something is good or bad, etc - but these are loaded terms that require a lot of qualifiers.

Jun 6, 06 6:49 am  · 
 · 

from the image gallery:

Pecha Kucha Rotterdam

3 June 2006
Jacob van Rijs announces that MVRDV won a competition in Tokyo. The design is located next to the Dior building by Sanaa on Omotesando. He explained that since the Sanaa building is so beautiful they decided to make a beast.

^^ a "good" idea?

Jun 6, 06 6:58 am  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced . . . [b]ut I know it when I see it . . . "

Jun 6, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: