Archinect
anchor

Good Lead in Jobs

Hey all,

I'm a soon-to-be dual BA in Art History and Philosophy finishing up at a fairly good (though not too well known) LAC in the Midwest. I'm having big time doubts about going into graduate studies in my current field, so I've decided to revisit a long standing attraction to the field of architecture. But it's not so simple as just applying to the programs:

My soon to be wife is preparing to enter law school which means, should I not pursue my current grad school trajectory, I'll have a few years on my hands to gain some experience before any potential architectural schooling. I'm considering doing the 3.5 year M.Arch I, and I'd like to get into as best program as I can. My GPA isn't awful, but it's not great by any means (about a 3.2). My GRE score was pretty good -- around the 90th percentile. I've got some good referees for LORs, and my portfolio (by the end of this semester) should be alright, and I have some time to work on that as well, and make it perfect. Additionally, I'm going to take some classes as a non-degree student in the  more science oriented field to fill in some gaps that most programs seem to leave me in (physics, chem., upper calc., etc)

So my question is, since I'll be working for the 3 years that my wife finishes up law school, what jobs can I get to provide a further boost to my application to an M.Arch? Additionally, does anyone have any pointers for finding these jobs? Would working construction be a good option? I know it pays well, and is related in a lot of ways. I would just rather work towards it rather than spinning my wheels doing 3 more years of restaurant work (which would drive me crazy anyway).

Sorry for the long (first) post, and thanks for any help.

ES

Mar 1, 12 2:18 am
Rickie

This is a difficult decision.  Especially now that there are so many unemployed architects and designers.  I don't want to discourage you in any way, but just keep this in mind.

If you enjoy sketching, painting, building models or writing then compile your work and design a portfolio that best represents your sensibilities.  This is the most important aspect of your application, not your employment history.  Sure, working will be beneficial, but not critical in the selection process.  Three years will give you a good amount of time to put something together.

I'm not sure about what could boost your chances.  However, I would think that working or volunteering at a non-profit will show a lot.  You could volunteer and help build homes for the poor, or something else.  This will be good experience for you, and you would help those in need. Hope this helps!

Mar 1, 12 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

It also could depend on what kind of school you want to do your MARCH in, which ties to what kind of architect you want to be.  Some of us are more interested in putting building together while others enjoy the theoretical or expressive realm more.

If you are looking for a “regular” career after a “regular” school (good schools included, just more grounded in reality of architecture practice), then work in general contractor, developer, or architectural office will all be beneficial.  It will show you what the profession is like.

If, however, you are looking for an experimental, highly challenging, super creative envelope-pushing career, (hence an ivy league school, or one of the more extremely creative and theoretical programs), you might want to take a job where you can have more free time to work on independent creative project.  I have a friend who did undergrad at a state college, without high GPA or GRE score but did tones of independent installations (some installed at local café, some with independent films, some of them published in local media, etc.) got scholarship offers from a host of top tier MARCH programs.

Figure out what you want out of architecture in more details and then tailor your work experience for that goal.  Good luck.

Mar 1, 12 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you guys very much for your input. I've read that the job market for architecture is down currently, but the prospects for going into academia aren't much better by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm not sure I want to teach either. I wish this realization would have happened before the $1000 or so I spent on applications to graduate programs but oh well -- c'est la vie. My hope now is that now I'll be jumping out of the fire and back into the frying pan. Perhaps I'm not seeking greener pasture, but perhaps a lighter shade of brown. I could metaphor all day, but I think I'm off topic. 

HouseCat, I'd like to go into the more creative side of things. I'm intrigued by the unique place the architecture occupies as an art form, and I also get a lot of satisfaction out of  designing and constructing 3D art. But am I being self-indulgent to think that I could one day participate in the more creative side of this field? I want to make money -- that much is sure. But if i'm not pulling down 150k a year by the time I'm 40, I'm not going to consider it a loss. Being able to engage in a critical dialogue about public spaces is worth the pay bump if it comes down to it. Pragmatism is paramount here, though.

Rickie, can you direct me to a good source for figuring out what entails a good portfolio? I've read about the importance of this element of the application, so I'd like to ensure that I'm maximizing my chances to get into a good program that would allow me to pursue a career like I mentioned above.

Mar 1, 12 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: