Archinect
anchor

Peace Corp

Mark_M

Have any of you guys been in the Peace Corp? I'm interested in joining before after I graduate. I know some schools offer credit towards your masters if you would like to attend Grad School. Has anybody experienced this and might be able to offer some insight? Thanks

May 30, 06 11:23 am
orEqual

I joined up after undergrad. To put it simply for this purpose: it wasn't quite what I was looking for, and so I decided to leave after in-country training (about 3 months). The experience itself was fantastic, though, and I still go through periods where I regret coming back home prematurely.

It's like any other big organization or endeavor: it's definitely not for everyone; it has its share of detractors/incompetent administration/bizarre cover-ups/failures; you CAN get back what you put in, but not always; you will learn a new language very quickly and have all sorts of wacky adventures and stories; you'll see some things that make you very sad, and your perspective will be forever changed; you'll learn that manhole covers are a priviledge and not a right.

I could go on and on...

Your best bet is to find a local RPCV (returned peace corps volunteer....it's all about acronyms) group and check out one of their events. These are usually the happy ones who loved PC very much, but they'll have great advice and usually make interesting company.

I can't really speak to the grad school combo programs. It's my understanding that these are offered as part of a very structured program of study, and not something that can be credited retroactively at just any grad school. It's a rigorous enough application process on its own, so I can't imagine what all you'd need to do to set it up with a graduate school.

So yes, if you're even remotely interested I would highly recommend doing some more research.

May 30, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

I've definitely thought about doing the Peace Corps some time after I graduate. Not sure when that'll happen, though.

I doubt there are many, if any, solely architecture programs that have a Peace Corps component. They're more likely in the planning programs. I know Cincinnati's MCP has an international development program that leads into possible (but not guaranteed) Peace Corps deployment. They also have some kind of program for returning volunteers. I'm sure there are many other similar programs.

May 30, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ringlet

I have a friend that was in the Peace Corps and loved it-definitely worth it if you have the time to dedicate yourself. Go for it! I wish I had gone after undergrad-I wanted to and thought about it for years, but then when the time came, I went to work instead...if only...

May 30, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash
www.thirdgoal.com
Jun 5, 06 10:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: