Archinect
anchor

Nextel+

Hasselhoff

I hate that freakin' Nextel walkie talkie crap. I can't believe people still use it. It's annoying enough to hear people shouting their converstaions in restaurants etc, then to hear the beeps and the static-y other person.

Speaking of shouting in public, why can't peope sit quietly for an hour and a half to two hours at the movies? I don't think I have seen a movie (other than DaVinci code) in Philly where there isn't (a) a screaming baby at a horror flick/rated R movie (b) some ass talking on his cell phone (both recieving and making calls) (c) two macho dudes almost getting in a physical fight over seats (d) someone making stupid comments i.e., who's that guy, what happens next etc. It's a story. They tell you those things. That's how a story works. (e) the action stops for 2 seconds and it's conversation time (f) some kind of mildly touching thing happens (in some cases, it's actually a serious movie) and the theater busts into laughter as though it were a Jack Black movie (g) any collection and combination of "No you dient" "Don't go in there b$tch!" various curses and general screaming at the screen. Last time I checked, movies weren't interactive. No one hears you except all the other people who paid $11.

I saw Xmen last night. No it's not the greatest movie ever, and I didn't expect it to be. Come on, guys shoot lasers out of their eyes. It's wizz bam entertainment. But if Wolverine tells Jean Grey he loves her, why does the entire theater need to crack up laughing? If you let yourself go at those types of movies, forget what's real and just have fun, you can get drawn in and it's entertaining and enjoyable. But when some ass next to you is on the phone, it destroys the fantasy and makes what could be a fun 2 hours, simply annoying.

May 28, 06 5:43 pm
c.k.

roger over and out

May 28, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I was just grumbling to myself about those Nextel phones the other day. When they first came out with their huge "walkie talkie!" campaign I remember thinking, who the hell would even want that?! what's the use of having everyone else hear your staticy, shouted conversation?! they'll NEVER sell those things!

Ha. I was totally wrong. People are even more boorish than I thought.

May 28, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

hasselhoff, you have one of the coolest, most entertaining and acid blogs and you're not even cracking up when Wolverine tells Jean Grey he loves her?

May 28, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
adso

Jean Grey's alive?
DAMN YOU SPOILERS

Next you'll be saying that Rosebud was the sled.

May 28, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Man. I don't even read the comic and I knew that before I saw the third one. Plus...she's on the posters. It's no spoiler.

May 28, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

rosebud was the sled

May 29, 06 2:34 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

how about when people fall asleep and snore through a movie? that happened when i went to go see mi3. seriously, if i could've seen who it was [they were sitting somewhere behind me] i would have thrown my soda @ them. and i also hate it when people clap @ the end of a movie. it's like, "hello!? we're @ the movie theatre! the actors are not behind the screen waiting to come out and take a bow when they hear the applause! come on!!!"

May 29, 06 4:26 am  · 
 · 

Things I hate... hands-free ear buds that look like robocop and people that hold their cellphone sideways and talk on speakerphone. Wannabee Nextel'ers. OR... anyone who plays their damn MP3 ringtones on a continuous loop like they are some sorta iPod. OR... expecially in Los Angeles, no less than 50% of the people in the fastlane are talking on their cell going 65 mph. GET THE F*CK OVER!

Sorry, lost it there.

May 29, 06 6:35 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This post, Hasselhoff, tweaked something in the back of my brain and finally this afternoon I remembered what it was. John Cleese did a bit on the David Letterman show - about 15 years ago? - about how much Americans love to talk. He says American football is basically an excuse for talking: everyone sits glumly for the 4 seconds the ball is actually in play, then the whole stadium sets to talking for two solid minutes while the ref places the ball everyone lines up etc.

He had devised a way to allow Americans to talk more by starting an educational program that teaches one to speak while both exhaling AND inhaling. No need to ever stop speaking! He demostrated this technique - talking while inhaling - to much hilarity on the show.

Try it sometime, it's really hard to do!

May 30, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

who has the best free phones and who has the best service with fewer dropped calls? i am in so cal. which is a good phone for basic stuff (call, be called, camera not necessary.

May 30, 06 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

verizon's the best. I've had cingular before and it was bad.

May 31, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 

thanks. they have pretty good free phones too. is razor good phone to get? its free @verizon.

May 31, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I have the Razr with Verizon and I've been very happy. Clear, good battery life, looks nice. I've had Verizon for almost 5 years and have been totally satisfied.

May 31, 06 3:05 am  · 
 · 

i lost my phone. life is good.

May 31, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
wiriamou

funny thing about rosebud being the sled.

only reason I know this not because I saw the movie (was it Citizen Kane?) but because of an episode of Ghostbusters: The animated Series, that had a ghost talkign about rosebud and he just wanted his sled.

May 31, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
wiriamou

j

john cleese is hillarious.

does he not spit out enough american potty humor to tickle your funny bone?

May 31, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

My cellephone is the only phone I have. No landline. I'm a major call screener. Some people seem to have an inability to not answer the phone. How many times do you see people answer it and say "I can't talk?" Remember what Oh, 6 years ago when people would call your home and you weren't there? The caller got the point you couldn't talk at the moment. I HATE when people stay on their phone when they are interacting with someone, like at a check out, a bank, coffee shop etc. I saw some stupid Paris Hilton type yesterday at the bank yammering away at the counter. I wanted to knock her phone out of her hand.

I usually have mine on silent or vibrate and just check my calls later. I really use it very much like an "old skool" home phone, although I do keep it with me so I can use its conveinience when needed.

May 31, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm with you Hasselhoff. No land line, my husband and I each have our own cells. And we both hang up the phone when standing in a checkout line, etc. In fact at the DMV this morning mine rang and I quickly turned it to silent while apologizing to the clerk.

I only worry about not having a landline when we (extremely rarely) have a babysitter - but most of them have their own cells anyway.

May 31, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
A

Haven't had a land line for 5-6 years now. Have always been with AT&T, or is it Cingular, oh, not it's going to be AT&T again. Never a skipped beat in service and love the world phone. Despise Sprint, which now owns Nextel. The walkie talkie thing was cool when I was 10 years old - not today.

What annoyed me the other day is checking out at Nordstroms the attendant was talking on a blue tooth headset. At first I thought she was talking to me. I'm asking, what? What you want? Then I realize she's just gossiping with some idiot friend of hers while the phone is hidden in the drawer. What happend to customer service? And that's supposed to be a "nice" department store.

May 31, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I too am sans land line. But I hate having a cell phone. I hate the fact that I can be reached anytime, anywhere.

The one thing I hate more than cell phones is voicemail. If I look at my phone screen, and I have not answered, I know you called. So don't bother leaving a message, I'll call you right back. I'm just at the record store buying the new Boris or Growing CD.

Also, I hate cell phone bling. Bluetooth headsets really make me angry.

May 31, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hmmm, Smokety, I'm not with you on the no voicemail thing. I have a contractor who never leaves a message beyond "Please call me" and it annoys the hell out of me - if he calls and leaves a message - like "The MDO is available in 10' lengths." or "Should the concrete score lines be centered on the interior door or the exterior door?" - then I can be more efficient in how I handle his communication.

A, I'm surprised that a Nordstrom employee would do that. Nordstrom is all about customer service, that is really unacceptable.

May 31, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

nordstroms have a piano player near shoe dept. the other day he was playing 'lucy in the sky with diomonds' and my head start to spin and i had to get out of there via make up department and everything.

i think i'll go with verizon w/ free black razr. they better not be too delicate. are they? i am rough'n n scratch'n type. this is what happened to an un co-operating digicam.

May 31, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I get the $5/month protection plan. If the phone never breaks, then you get kinda hosed. But, phones are so damn expensive to replace, in the even you break it, it's totally worth it. My phone broke once (it started working again after a few days, weird). But they told me that if I wanted a new phone out of contract, you have to pay full price which is about $300 just for the crappiest phone.

May 31, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
A

or you could buy a new phone on ebay. they are pretty cheap there.

May 31, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Oh yeah, that's true.

May 31, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I have the razr & cingular - happy with cingular but i don't like the phone - it's great that it's slim and the camera & interface work well, but it's very un-ergonomic and i've dropped it several times (NEVER dropped my previous Nextel motorola phone, course i never used the walkie talkie feature either)... my husband has one as well clipped to his tool belt and frankly i think he's going to be buying a new phone soon because it's just not rugged. next phone i get will fit better in my palm...
anyway, noise in movies never bothered me too much until i got used to going to the arclight here in LA - fancy theater with $14 tickets and assigned seats. I was skeptical at first by my husband would only go to a movie there, and now i'm addicted - every seat is good, the sound and picture are always perfect, the assigned seating means you can buy online and show up right when the movie starts, and there's even a restaurant & bar. Most of the audiences are adult movie lovers, so minimal noise. we went to see the final lord of the rings outside DC with my father-in-law a few years back and i almost couldn't stand it after getting used to the arclight experience. hmmm, anyways, long story i guess to say that i agree, noise in movies sucks (unless you're going to see Mean Girls with an audience full of 13-year-olds, which is pretty damn funny)...

May 31, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah I love noise in a theater when it's appropriate to the movie--for example, going to see a dumb comedy in a theater where people aren't afraid to just crack the fuck up, I LOVE that. It makes you enjoy it 10x more when people are laughing along with you.

Laugher *out of place* at a movie, now that is annoying...

I like it when they clap at the end, too. I love giving myself over to that gleeful urge when I really, truly enjoyed something!

I actually specifically go see movies at a theater near my house (old art deco theater with huge youthful film nerd audience) and as much as those types annoy me outside of the theater, I love to go see movies with people who simply enjoy them. (Respectfully!)

Now, j, honestly, what is useful about the nextel walkie talkies?! What actual use do you get out of it that you couldn't get with a regular cell-phone? I'm on the job site about 30% of my week and I simply cannot see the use for it.

May 31, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

p.s. I saw "There's Something About Mary" like day 2 that it was open, when no one had heard it was funny yet, and man, it just totally took the theater by surprise. People were doubled-over and falling into the aisles laughing. It was so much fun! Great memory.

May 31, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

R.A. Rudoplh ... I saw the Cremaster (sp?) Cycle at Arclight a couple of years ago ... the place was crawling with all these Dungeons and Dragons types. Not a good Arclight memory.

May 31, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

agree on the razr. it looks great but the ergonomics are pretty bad. i tested my friend's a few times and really didn't like how it felt in my hand. and between ear and shoulder? fugghedaboutit.

and the $5 insurance thing is not worth it unless you get like a palm treo or a VERY expensive phone. i got it for mine and didn't realize there's a $50 deductable anyway. so i wound up having to pay $50 for my new phone that had gone down in price to the point where a new phone from verizon was... yup. $50.

SMSS-
wow. i can only imagine. i remember when i saw star wars there. that was bad enough. anyone see the new al gore movie at the arclight? i'm def. going sometime soon.

RA- i too am addicted the the quality of the arclight. it's wonderful.

May 31, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

land-line free since '99! WOOHOO!

May 31, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

right on. tina dropped her pink razar into the soy sauce marinade for homemade mint chicken. pisser. i coked it anyway. it sled out of her palm. i was afraid that everyone had similar case studies on the thin one.
so what may i ask be an appropriate, rugged, powerful phone for me? say between; verizon, cingular, nextel, t-mob, no thank you sprint, my current phony that has no bars in critical moments.

all free after rebates. which one? or other suggestions.

May 31, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lucy's phone is from verizon
to be sung to the melody of the beatles classic lucy in the sky with diamonds: and it goes a little like this:

picture yourself in a mall at nordstroms
where piano players butcher the songs you love so well
everyone calls you and you answer quite quickly
cuz your life is your cell

lucys phone is from verizon

imagine yourself in a train at the station
the young women with harry potter and marshmallow thighs
suddenly there all on their cell phone
makin plans for later that night

picture yourself on a date with some hottie
you take her out and its going quite well
just as you make your move mr smooth
she gets a call on her cell

May 31, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Brilliant, vado, as usual.

I'm gonna have to get you a pre-paid cell phone to be used when I have an emergency song lyric question. I'll get ya one with a red flashing light!

May 31, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

get me out of this phone hell. i never use messeging
i never use blue tooth
i never listen fm,i pod, whatever function, no phone photos either
all i do is call and recieve calls 2-3 times a day max 6.
why am i bothering with this?
because i hate conversations breaking up and i hate yelling on the phone [hellohello do you hear me now?] i am going to home depot now, to see what kind of phone models they've got. you guys are bunch of rock musicians thanks anyway. i love lucy.

May 31, 06 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, I'll weigh in.

I'm with T-Mobile. They have pretty darn good customer service. Even called me up a few months ago to give me 50 free minutes a month for being a good customer. I had a Samsung V-something for 3 years, and I took care of it for the first 2+, but when I realized that this was the longest I had had a cell phone, I started dropping it liberally. It still works like a charm, even if it is a tiny bit clunky and fairly scratched up.

This past weekend I decided I wanted bells and whistles so I purchased a Motorola Pebl. Hello, Moto....I like the Pebl a lot but I was never keen on the Razr. It just felt flimsy, I guess. The Pebl is beautifully constructed with magnetic closure, which tugs on my earrings when I talk on it, which in turn makes me giggle. So far so good, anyway.

Jun 1, 06 12:30 am  · 
 · 

so the pebl not only looks like art, but it's got a phenomenological/experiential aspect to it...

Jun 1, 06 7:36 am  · 
 · 

also t-mobile here. no complaints. it does exactly what i want so i can basically ignore it = ideal situation for me.

i've always enjoyed looking at all the fancy phones but i've never had any but the free ones they give you for signing up. [sigh.]

Jun 1, 06 7:38 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes, exactly. Experiential. Also if I don't like someone, I can change their ring so I know it's them and won't answer. Not that I have this particular problem, so to speak, but at least I have options.

Incidentally, they don't have T-Mobile - or verizon or cingular - in Alaska, in so far as I can tell. In fact, they seem to have all the mobile phone companies that the other phone companies were before they changed their names, like Cellular One and a couple of others. Weird.

Jun 1, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

t-mobile has greater coverage than verizon, isn't it?
and I think t-mobile has a technology that's compatible with what they have in europe, if that would be an issue.

but I'm happy with verizon because they make it easy to move to another state, I got a national plan that was only 4$ more than the local one and I could change my number to a local one

Jun 1, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the deal in the US is that the coverage for different providers is stronger is different areas and weaker in others. The best idea is to see what people, say in your neighborhood use and their experiences with it. Verizon seems to work in the maximum number of areas, but the international arrangement with verizon sucks...

just if you were wondering...

Jun 1, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I have TMobile and love it. Their coverage is geared for city centers and outside of cities they are still working on getting a good coverage map.

From what I've heard over and over and over again from literally countless people who all say the same thing:

1) Sprint blows in phones, customer service, plans, AND coverage quality.

2) TMobile has best customer service, cheapest plans, and phones with SIM cards (can be used in Europe), but does not offer the "nicest" phones and while coverage quality is great it isn't the very very best

3) ATT/Cingular has best coverage quality hands-down but is also easily most expensive, they also have phones with SIM cards and can be used in Europe

4) Verizon has decent coverage and quality, good phones, but NO SIM card so you can't transfer phones, and they are somewhat pricey.

I have TMobile and it's funny what a difference good customer service can be. Recently my motorola travel charger decided to kick the bucket and when I went to the store, they couldn't find any replacement chargers on hand so they just gave me theirs for free. Saved $25!

Jun 1, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
A

Both Cingular & T-mobile use a GSM network which is a "world band" that is typical of Europe/Asia. T-Mobile is a subsidary of Deutsche Telecom so that obviously makes sense for them.

Sprint & Verizon use the older TDMA technology, which isn't as advanced but works better when you are out of a city or off the beaten path.

Inside a city all companies should have mostly equal coverage. They split pennies over whose network reaches more people or area. I think Cingular is tops in population coverage while Verizon tops in land mass. Then again, that changes every day with new towers. There still is never enough cells available at a big event with crowds so it doesn't matter anyway.

Jun 1, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 

ok. i have to be straight with you guys.
it is mainly for aia06 convention. this is the set up. a friend will call me in a critical moment during a famous speaker talk in the aia covention hall. i will pick up the phone after looping twice "you ain't nothin' but a hound dog" ring tone.
- hilloo?
-(.....)
-thank you mr silverstein, but i can't go lower than %25 + the reimbursables...
-(.....)
-well, go get REX then.
-(.....)
-olrayt, olrayt i won't use their ideas.
-(.....)
-thank you, looking foward to it, i am excited too.
-(....)
-yea t-mobile.
-(.................)
-no it ain't razor. bye.

so what kind a cell phone is heavy enough for this conversation piece?

Jun 1, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

ie;

Jun 1, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

A, its CDMA not TDMA, and CDMA is actually a newer, better technology mainly because its digital, as compared to the analog GSM phones.

Most vendors in the US and over the world prefer GSM networks because of the phone manufacturers, who had already pumped a lot more money into research and design of GSM phones. Thats why you see so many cool Nokia and sony ericsson phones which are mainly for the gsm networks. CDMA will take a bit more time before manufacturers begin supporting it and offer worldwide roaming.

I got this dirt from a friend who works at Qualcomm, the key player in developing cdma technology....

Jun 1, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

available exclusively thru Dolce and Gabbana

Jun 1, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what?...no vertu users here?

Jun 1, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orhan, I'm thinking that phone call would be best-played on the Elmo flip phone:

Don't know if it plays Hound Dog, though - maybe only the Elmo song.

Jun 1, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

this was a status symbol

Jun 2, 06 1:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: