Archinect
anchor

need help figuring out what to ask for when i ask for a raise

swegin

OK here is my situation I started working at a firm in salt lake almost a year ago. I am just about to graduate and start working full time so I want to discuss a pay raise with them. When I working with then a year ago I had 5 years worth of experience from another firm in salt lake and they were happy with my portfolio and experience. Due to the fact that I was still in school and was only part time they started me at 17 an hour. When I tried to get more they said they would reevaluate in my next review and adjust accordingly. Now I am coming up on a year and I will have my degree as well as a couple of successful projects that I worked on in the office under my belt.... so what am a worth? I keep reading 45k is the magic number for m arch grads but does my previous experience not count? Am I dreaming if I think I am going to jump from 17 to 22+ an hour? Thanks in advance Swegin

Feb 28, 12 12:05 am
timothysadler®

I was working at a big firm in Nashville.  One day, I drove past a convenience store and on the sign it said, "NOW HIRING MANAGERS 32K YEAR.  I took a picture and showed it to my boss.  I was doing well and only making $30K.  He laughed and said, "Wait a second".  He called down to HR and told them to adjust my pay to $36K.  Easiest raise I ever got. 

Feb 28, 12 1:48 am  · 
 · 
swegin

Ha ha that is awesome......depressing but awesome. When did the industry decide that it is ok to pay people with GRADUATE degrees ask PROFESSIONAL degrees such little money?

Feb 28, 12 8:12 am  · 
 · 
swegin

So back to my original question.... How much am I worth?

Feb 28, 12 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
noripigu

DAMN IT WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON?! @timothysadler

wish all negotiation was that simple. I had a friend, she was fighting with the vp about her salary. she got what she thought her salary should be by almost quitting on the spot.

@swegin, ask yourself what you contribute to the company. How much do you do add to the company's growth. and then say if you have to hire another person how much money are you putting into training that person? how much money does it cost for your other employees to train that person?

PS>! I never asked for a raised, so take my advice lightly.... HA!

Feb 28, 12 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
swegin

I will have to take that into consideration for sure , does anybody know of some reputable sources I could use to base my numbers off of? So many employers say that "jobs.com" like websites are all inflated and that actual salaries are less.... So what sources do employers use so that they know they are competitive?

Feb 29, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: