Archinect
anchor

Seattle Vacation

OK... So I'm headed to Seattle for about 2 weeks coming up from June 13 - June 25. The first week I will be doing stuff with my wife and then the second week she will be in a conference so I'll be on my own for most of the day.

I've already culled a list of things to see from the previous similar threads. Here it is...

Seattle Central Library (OMA)
Experience Music Project (FOG)
Chapel of St. Ignatius (Holl)
Ballard Library (Bohlin Cywinski Jackson)
Gasworks Park (Haag)
Freeway Park (Halprin)
Fisher Pavillion (Miller Hull)
Henry Art Gallery (Gwathmey)

How close to being complete is Weiss/Manfredi's Olympic Sculpture Park?

Is it worth making the trek to the Bellevue Art Musuem?

Any other stops that I can't miss?

Also, any suggestions for fun non-archinerd things to do would be appreciated. And also some good restaurants to check out. And any cool galleries/exhibitions.

THANKS...

May 24, 06 10:04 am
jthompson

Architphil-

Because Seattle isn't completely overrun by tourist attractions, there are a ton of secrets all over town. Obviously, it totally depends on what kind of stuff you like to do. Here is my personal list of favorites (being a Seattleite for over 20 years):

Houseboats on Lake Union (try not to get arrested for trespassing)
Alki Beach in West Seattle
Washington Arboretum and kayak rentals from UW
Fremont Neighborhood
Pike Place Market
Mariners Game at Safeco Field
Biking on the Burke-Gilman Trail
Lighthouse at Discovery Park
Frye Art Museum
Myrtle Edwards Park

As for food, the seafood, Thai, sushi, and Indian restaurants are probably the best bets. My top pick is Wild Ginger downtown, a "classy" Asian-influenced place on Union and 2nd Ave.

And as for Bellevue, it's turning into the Dubai of the region with an ever-changing skyline: interesting if you're into glass skyscrapers, but otherwise just yuppy-esque. But i've never been to Hull's art museum. The Sculpture Park, last time i checked, was far from complete. You'll probably have to come back for that one.

I could go on and on...just let me know if you have any specific questions or interests. Basically, rent a car and wander around exploring!

May 24, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
e

architphil

good time of the year to come. i second jthompson's recommendations. all good ones. the seattle art museum's exterior is nearing completion [allied arts] and there is a nice little brutalist building owned by the electric company east of the emp.

for other things:

-consider heading out to the olympic peninsula. it's beautiful out there. port townsend maybe.
- snoqualmie falls is worth the trip too.
- mt. rainer is a 3-3.5 hours drive away and is spectacular.
- a really cool hike is the snoqulmie tunnel. bring a flashlight. not much for the scenery but it will be one of the most unusual hikes you'll ever take. it is a concrete lined tunnel built in 1912 and abandoned by milwaukee road railroad in 1979. it is 2.3 miles long. it is pitch black in the center and a bit cool so bring a sweater and good boots.

May 24, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
coquette

Where are you visiting from?

I lived in Seattle for 12 years...then moved to LA for archi-skool. Here's what I would check out:

Suyama Space- (an installation venue attached to the firm Suyama, Peterson, Deguchi. Downtown on 2nd Ave. look it up first, as it is not clearly marked, fantastic space, sometimes the installations are really cool, depends)

Wasabi Bistro- (yummy sushi and other things, near Suyama Space, WHEN IN SEATTLE, EAT SEAFOOD, esp. sushi)

Sky Space, by James Turrell (@ the Henry Art Gallery)

you can skip the Experience Music Project (in my opinion)

Zeitgeist Coffee -in Pioneer Square, 2nd & Jackson
Bahaus Coffee- on Capitol Hill, one of the best views in Seattle
The Baltic Room- nigthclub near Bauhaus
Top Pot Donuts- either on Capitol Hill or downtown on 5th Ave.

The Hideout- (on Boren, groovy bar with beautiful cast glass tables, always showing 50 paintings, by 50 different artists, some great, some kitchy and crappy, this place can get smokey after 8pm which is unfortunate)

All City Coffee- in Pioneer Square

These are all fantastic spaces that were design/built by the owners and various
craftspersons.

Pike Place Market- (yes it is a tourist spot, but worth a quick stroll through, great if you want to buy some salmon and have it shipped to yourself)

The Spanish Table- (below the PPM, all things Spanish, cookware, olives, wine, this is retail, not a restaurant)

On 1st Ave, above the PPM:

Peter Miller Books- architecture book store, small, OK
Urchin- housewares, et c
Current- Details

Le Pichet- bistro-style french food, cozy

Seattle Art Museum- (not sure if it is closed for remodel right now?)

William Traver Gallery- (off 1st Ave., upstairs, primarily Glass, some painting and metal sculpure, extremely high caliber craft, which is both good and bad)

International District-

Maneki Sushi- will blow your mind! (I think they are closed on Mon. or Tue)
Panama Teahouse- around the corner from Maneki, try the Green Tea Latte
Bush Gardens- if you are feeling adventurous and want to watch karaoke
Schezwan Noodle Bowl- (8th and Kind St., small but the spicy spinach dumplings and onion pancake are heavenly...if you're into that sort of thing)

Howard House- (near the ID, represents some interesting artists and some goofy ones, chech the website first)

Salumi- (A MUST! unless you are a vegetarian, owned and operated by Mario Batali's dad, Armandino, amazing cured meat sandwiches and beautiful northern Italian specials, best at 2:30-3:00, after the lunch rush, near Zeitgeist Coffee, on 3rd and Jackson)

Kingfish Restaurant- owned by beautiful sisters, yummy southern style food, great atmosphere, great dessert, on Capitol Hill, 19th Ave.)

more adventurous:

look up Lead Pencil Studios

or visit the shop of Gulassa and Co.

go lap swimming at the Coleman Pool in West Seattle- (50 M filtered saltwater, next to the Beach, do the backstroke while looking up at old growth trees, really amazing even if you are not a big swimmer)

rent a canoe from the University of Washington and row around the Arboretum
walk through the Arboretum

REI-is kindof cool, designed by Mitun, I think

Ballard Locks- touristy, but you can see salmon swimming through the locks, up close

Magnolia neighborhood, there is a lovely park somewhere up there, with a fantastic view of the city

Seattle Asian Art Museum- (in Volunteer Park, and Olmstead Park, another fantastic view of the Space Needle, through the center of a Noguchi Sculpture that looks like a monster truck tire)

Volunteer Park- climb the water tower for a 360 view or visit the orchid room at the Conservatory.

Have a great time. I MISS SEATTLE!

May 24, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
e

i second suyama space. they and suyama peterson deguchi are clients of mine >> http://suyamapetersondeguchi.com

also for good beers >> http://brouwerscafe.com

May 24, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I agree with the suggestions above. I think you can skip the BAM, unless you're a huge fan of Holl. It's a nice building but it's pretty small, and it's across the street from a mall; I'd skip it. The chapel is a better visit.

May 24, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

If you already dont have enough suggestions... stay at the ace hotel for a night or two...

http://www.acehotel.com/

May 24, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
coquette

but only in one of the suites with the huge rotating mirror/door, unless you wanna use the communal showers. I heard that the street noise was really bad at night, until 3-4 am, but maybe not in one of the suites. I am not hating on th Ace. It is really cool, just not for everyone.

May 24, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

thanks to everyone...

tektrix, i'm coming from st. petersburg, florida...

May 24, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

Yeah, if you get a room on the street above the bar (I got stuck there for a night) its a drag. But the rooms in the courtyard or towards the rear of the building (by the suites) are pretty peaceful.

May 24, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

The new Seattle City Hall was done by BCJ as well

Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill has the best view of the city, especially if Mt. Rainier is visible (weather dependent).

The ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island is also a good way to see the city.

If the Ace Hotel is full (or if you're not into hostel-style bathrooms), check out the Hotel Max.

May 24, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

i'm actually staying at hotel max for the first week... then we're staying at the convention hotel (either the sheraton or grand hyatt, i can't remember which) during my wife's convention...

May 24, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
switters

the moss garden @
bloedel reserve, bainbridge

May 24, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

check out:

maya lin's new exhibit at the henry art gallery at the university of washington... its very cool, there until end of the summer.
http://www.henryart.org/ex/mayalin.htm

(and see turrell's pavilion while youre at it)

May 24, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: