Archinect
anchor

AIAS

archtopus

I'd be interested to know everyone's opinions of the American Institute of Architecture Students. Are/Were you a member? If so, why and what do you think you gained from it. If no, why? What effect does it have on a student's education, creative potential, professional growth, networking abilities?

May 23, 06 9:34 pm
Aluminate

I was a member for a couple of my undergrad years. I honestly don't remember any benefits at all except: a few issues of the magazine "Crit", a paper membership card, a few meetings of my school's chapter to discuss starting a firm festival and some field trips, and a couple meetings with the department administration about whether there would be any funding available for these activities (there was none.)
I don't think we ever realized any of our goals.

Some of my friends have said that their chapters did do things like organize field trips, tours of local projects in construction, lectures, etc. One person I know got selected through AIAS somehow to serve as the student rep on an accreditation team visit to another school.

I think that when I was in school the dues were only $10 per year, and I figured that it was a good to be able to list on my resume (which was pretty sparse at the time) that I was secretary of our school's chapter.

I guess it's what your school makes of it. I can't say that in my case there was any real benefit, but there was no drawback either...

May 23, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

nope. My school was super saturated with student organizations, and that just wasn't one of the strongest ones. While it had low dues and a low commitment time, it also didn't have any real benefits.

May 23, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: