Archinect
anchor

What to see in Seoul?

sewage

Hi guys - so I'll be in Seoul in a week - anything interesting I should check out? Where can I go to see traditional architecture (not just temples and palaces)? Any cool neighborhoods or street markets I need to visit? Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks ahead of time.

May 22, 06 12:50 am
slip

for sure check out- minsuk cho's work boutque monaco in kangnam and his media station/kiosk at chungmuro station-and you may already know about the OMA projects at SNU and Leeum, and the UN studio Department store, as well as the RAD SK telecom building and W hotel , and the Perrault project under construction at Ewha..and while there check out the kinda bad Morphosis building in near Ewha shopping district, and the utterly horrible Lienskind near COEX- but in terms of more traditional there is the ssamzie gil building in Insa-Dong, and all of Insa Dong is great- do your self a favor and take a trip down any of the side streets for some delicous food and drinks- In general I would stay north of the river and check out Namdeamun, any of the side alleys near Jongno- around the Ahyeon stop up the hill across from Ewha there is some beautiful and decaying architecture from the first waves of modernism after the Korean War - The neighborhood up the mountain behind the " Blue House" (korea' white house) is also amazing but hard to get to besides on foot- City Hall Plaza is nice as well as the are to the left of the plaza behind the palace- Univervisty Street is great and the theatre by Kim Soo-Guen (the Modern master of Korea) is really good- Also check his two mega-structures one near Cheongechung behind a shrine that will son be destroyed and rebuilt (the was a big competition with Machdo, Eisenman, OMA etc. for the area) and his other in Insadong- and then there is the whole olympic park with a stadium by Kim Soo-Guen, which is really nice to compare to Barcelona and Atlanta- especially for how well it works urbanistically-there are hundreds of other things i could suggest- I lived and worked as architect in Seoul for awhile, so if you have questions email me and I could tell you more or put you in contact with some people (plus I could drag out one of my old annotated maps and give you better directions ...)

May 22, 06 2:01 am  · 
 · 
slip

for sure check out- minsuk cho's work boutque monaco in kangnam and his media station/kiosk at chungmuro station-and you may already know about the OMA projects at SNU and Leeum, and the UN studio Department store, as well as the RAD SK telecom building and W hotel , and the Perrault project under construction at Ewha..and while there check out the kinda bad Morphosis building in near Ewha shopping district, and the utterly horrible Lienskind near COEX- but in terms of more traditional there is the ssamzie gil building in Insa-Dong, and all of Insa Dong is great- do your self a favor and take a trip down any of the side streets for some delicous food and drinks- In general I would stay north of the river and check out Namdeamun, any of the side alleys near Jongno- around the Ahyeon stop up the hill across from Ewha there is some beautiful and decaying architecture from the first waves of modernism after the Korean War - The neighborhood up the mountain behind the " Blue House" (korea' white house) is also amazing but hard to get to besides on foot- City Hall Plaza is nice as well as the are to the left of the plaza behind the palace- Univervisty Street is great and the theatre by Kim Soo-Guen (the Modern master of Korea) is really good- Also check his two mega-structures one near Cheongechung behind a shrine that will son be destroyed and rebuilt (the was a big competition with Machdo, Eisenman, OMA etc. for the area) and his other in Insadong- and then there is the whole olympic park with a stadium by Kim Soo-Guen, which is really nice to compare to Barcelona and Atlanta- especially for how well it works urbanistically-there are hundreds of other things i could suggest- I lived and worked as architect in Seoul for awhile, so if you have questions email me and I could tell you more or put you in contact with some people (plus I could drag out one of my old annotated maps and give you better directions ...)

May 22, 06 2:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: