Archinect
anchor

Apple Store Fifth

eddieP

does anybody know who the architect is for this?
http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/

also

does anybody think the expense of having a fifth ave store is really going to help them sell computers?

May 18, 06 1:24 pm
j-turn

i know moed dearmas and shannon in new york were involved.

May 18, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

Bohlin Cywinski Jackson did a handful of their other stores inlcuding the apple store in Soho, don't know if they were involved in this one

May 18, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

The one in soho is the most profitable store per square foot in the entire world; and apple is gaining profile with businesses since bootcamp--a midtown store is probably a very good idea

May 18, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Good??? Too good to be true... Especially since 99.9% of all tourists in New York walk that very block. I predict that Macs will spread like wildfire through the world, and that more people (and their eardrums) will be lost to iPod-headphone-land.

May 18, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

they need to get some guest architects to design stores for them it's becoming like starbucks now. From what i've heard Steve Jobs is a micro manager and nothing goes past him without approval so if say Zaha Hadid was invited to design a store for apple you know there would be one huge bitch fight with lots of compromises.

May 18, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

they need to get some guest architects to design stores for them it's becoming like starbucks now. From what i've heard Steve Jobs is a micro manager and nothing goes past him without approval so say if Zaha Hadid was invited to design a store for apple you know there would be one huge bitch fight with lots of compromises.

May 18, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

ewww, midtown ?

what's the address for the new store.

May 18, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

frem001, that is a very funny image of Zaha and Jobs dukin' it out.

May 18, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

From what I understand it's at 767 5th Avenue. Same building as FAO Schwartz, owned by none other than the Donald. Across the street from the former Plaza Hotel and adjacent to Tiffany & Co.

May 18, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Well I can see it happening both of them are known for speaking their minds and Miss Hadid likes to throw things at her employees, whle Steve like to take control, it's bound to happen. Who would win? Zaha has studied the ancient art of throwing things while Steve has recovered from pacreatic cancer and has an arsenal of heavy powermac G5s to throw at her. Didn't Zaha get a prize from apple (not while jobs was ceo) for her computer drawing skills, i read that somewhere not sure if it's true.

May 18, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

BCJ did this store

May 18, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
huwt

As a bit of background... London architect Eva Jiricna (www.ejal.com) worked on the early concepts for the Apple stores, however fell out with Steve Jobs over direction/finishes. The stores built by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson have Jiricna written all over them - eg the suspended glass and stainless staircases which are her trademark. The BCJ stores also are engineered by Tim Macfalane (Dewhurst Macfarlane), who has worked with Jiricna on and off for 20 years.

May 19, 06 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

all i know, is I am gonna be SO happy that there is another apple store to take my ipod to when it breaks. SoHo is a damn zoo. Glad to know there will be another pretensiously named "genius bar" in town to fix these things.

May 19, 06 2:59 am  · 
 · 

the cube is cool but the inside pics looks terribly uninteresting. i remember the soho shop being positively luminous. this one looks like you'd feelthat you're in a basement.

can't wait for reports from those that go to the opening to win their supermacs.

May 19, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 

re: the shop being in midtown. waiting for the new mac commercials in which they re-make the opening scene of breakfast at tiffany's.

but who could play holly?!

May 19, 06 7:22 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i hope this building last longer than my I-pod battery (sorry for biting your style, Apurimac)

mdler's getting a Dell

May 19, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

any bets on how long it takes for that cube to be caked in bird shit? Not saying I want to see that, I dig the cube, just curious if they have a contigency plan for that. They should have the Genius Bar interns take shifts hosing it down.

Featured Job : 59th ST Apple Squeegee Tech

May 19, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
knock

i dig the cube, but not the detailing of it - the glass mullion thing here seems kind of over the top..

and yes, steve, please, have someone design your merchandise/display systems - they are an eyesore.

May 19, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

STOP THE INSANITY!!!

link

(Sorry if the link doesn't work, I'm new at this. Could I just go and ask for help at the genius bar?)

May 19, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

wonder how long it will be until someone jumps from the top of Trunp Tower onto the cube?

May 19, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i found some pics here

http://flickr.com/photos/davidschloss/tags/apple/

May 19, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
switters

i would really rather them invest in a realiable battery for their I-junk and Power-junk than these first year-first semester projects. yawn.

May 19, 06 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

and what the hell do first year students ever get built anyways? what a retarded comment. this is rad.

May 19, 06 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Im gonna name my kid Stormy Shippy ha ha ha :)

May 23, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

The sube looks pretty average in photo's. why didn't they make it looks as awesome as the ipods. missed opportunity.

May 24, 06 3:10 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i agree, it is mediocre in terms of design compared to the products

May 24, 06 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: