Archinect
anchor

Do you think architects drink more than other professionals?

miss casual

Are all architects lushes or just the ones i know?

May 18, 06 11:51 am
garpike

Most.

May 18, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Yes, yes they are

May 18, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
likil

Chemists drink the most.

May 18, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

i know a lot of architects that drink, but moderately and for fun. don't know many that get trashed on a regular basis. it's more about enjoying a certain kind of beer or bourbon or martini, etc, than getting soused.

i think there was much more of a drinking culture among architects in the 70s and 80s.

May 18, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
e

i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

May 18, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

we drink more than we should, but not as much as we would if we could.

maybe.

May 18, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP

drink? is that how you got that floating tooth?

May 18, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You don't know any planners, do you?

May 18, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Let us be glad that they don't EAT more than other professionals, because I do enjoy the foxes.

May 18, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

coffee?

May 18, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ibankers... they consume quickly and in mass quantities. they work as many hours as us or more and they make about 10x more. but wind up with no time to spend their money so they mostly just drink it.

May 18, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

have had professors on three separate occasions suggest drinking as a means to improve some aspect of life/work as an architect, all in my first m arch year.

May 18, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

friends brother is an ibanker in manhattan. good guy.
had to go away on a 'business trip' to the west coast
that would mean rehab.
but hes a really good guy and a lot of fun

May 18, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

friends brother is an ibanker in manhattan. good guy.
had to go away on a 'business trip' to the west coast...
that would mean rehab.
but we had some good times

May 18, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

anyone ever party with a group of line-cooks?

May 18, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In the 80s architects were all about cocaine (from what I understand).

I think it is as suggested above - architects enjoy the things we thrive on more. A certain Martini in a certain glass, the perfect micro-brew, etc.

Think I'll make myself a Manhattan now. Seriously.

May 18, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

I used to work for an investment bank in the city and for the first two years, as an associate, we worked until 3 or 4am and started back-up the same day around 8am. There was speculation on who did coke and who didn't, but everyone drank . . . a lot! With clients, special events, at bars or strip clubs, you name it. It was the VP's who drank the most and we never had to spend a dime, all paid by the company.

I don't think architects drink enough.

May 18, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

not sure about you guys. but all of us at uni are alcoholics. its a good thing to be ;)

May 19, 06 1:02 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

I think so... second only to crabbers

I support the myth - work hard play hard.

May 19, 06 1:12 am  · 
 · 
design_junky

no. but only because we can't afford to. if i were rich, i'd totally be an alcoholic.

May 19, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

goddamn we need to be paid more! Less PBR and more Warsteiner dangit! I wanna drown myself in 18 year single malt scotch and I can't afford to! However, I never let a lack of money compromise my drinking habits... I just eat less when money's short because I spent friday blowing money at the bar.

May 19, 06 3:29 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i'd rank people in the restaurant/bartender industry above architects
they work around it and can usually drink for cheap/free in other
establishments due to their unique hours/relations.

also any banker type/corporate schmo...i know i'm not out at a bar
at five on any day other than maybe the weekend...but you see those
places packed on any nice day.

May 19, 06 9:51 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

OH MY GOD.

Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements yeah I tend to get tore up every night of the week Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements Blanket statements

May 19, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 
mouse

Most of the younger male architects I know are depressingly sober - perrier with lunch (what happened to the three hour lunch with two bottles of wine?); don't smoke..........

Now doctors........

May 19, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
A

I think the Irish have architects beat in per-capita consumption.

May 19, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
jh

have you ever been on a jobsite at 7:01 in the morning or 5:01 in the afternoon - the jokers building these things we dream up are true drinkers. architects are kind of pussies when it comes to drinking. i enjoy PBR and cheap whiskey, but i can't get blacked-out drunk every night (line cooks on the other hand can). working and drinking has never really worked out for me (usually more drinking than working), but smoking and working . . . well that is another story.

May 19, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

one night i was working late, and a person of the cleaning crew came up to me and said:
"i gotta say, you all seem to put 'em down, i always see all these bottles in the garbage cans!"
i handed over my particular wastebasket containing 5 bottles, and replied:
"yeah, how else could i be here at 11."

we have had serious office conversation over how and where to put a kegorater.

i don't know if architects drink more than other professionals, but i don't think we are strangers to alcohol abuse either.

May 19, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Investment bankers, definately.

May 20, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
TED

yes

May 20, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
russthemoose

Not as much as I'd like, but yes in general

May 20, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I think they're driven to ....

May 21, 06 1:32 am  · 
 · 
doberman

i love getting wasted and i always will. I tend to do it less because when i do the following day is a write-off.

i dont know if that means that architects drink more than other professionals. Generally people in the design industry and in banking/finance tend to be more exposed to booze and drugs so as to cope with the long working hours and the pressure, with the big difference that architects make a lot less than investment bankers, who at least can afford to check into rehab if they slip a bit too far...

May 21, 06 4:49 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I dunno, everyone I know doesn't drink enough. including myself. I certainly drank much more before architecture.

I sure would like to, though.

May 21, 06 8:16 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

so like ... when's the next archinect get-together.....

:)

May 21, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
stillframe

film businss takes the cake--writers, actors, producers....

May 21, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
bnelson

I’m one of what feels like the few who has (gasp) given up drinking after years of partaking.

We do exist, even if it feels like a lonely position at traditional networking events. 

Apr 25, 19 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: